Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 08:43 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
Can I use that at work instead of getting tested?
Cool idea.
The presumtion of innocence is a concept of law. The requirement to pass a drug test, as 85% of US business now requires, is a decision made by the company. There is no law that says you must pass a drug test to be employed in the US. At least, not yet.

The difference between someone who works, and as an employment requirement has to pass a drug test, is different from a welfare user, for the reason cited above. If you are seeking employment, you have to follow the requirements of the employer. Welfare users are not employees. The Feds do require drug testing for some government employees. They can do this because the people they are testing are employees.

Welfare users are not employees they are citizens. As citizens they are subject to laws, not employer requirements. The government is limited as to what it can do to citizens. Companies are less restricted.

Besides, all the states that have tried drug testing welfare users have found that very few drug users are on welfare. Alcohol, as a legal drug, is much cheaper, and poor people simply can not afford drugs. Drug testing for all states trying it was more expensive than it was effective.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:17 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperCheck View Post
Speaking from personal experience(many years ago), I can say, anything more than small amounts, MJ use makes a person unable to operate a motor-vehicle safely.
That's true.
The DOT as far as I know has zero {0} tolerance for drug use.

If states want to implement drug testing for SNAP beneficiaries, or for other entitlements, {not UE comp or SS benefits} I can see the ACLU getting involved because that would be infringement upon someone's rights.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:52 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
Every time the subject comes up someone's always whining about how it infringes upon the rights of welfare recipients.

Me? I'm all for it. If you're on welfare because you've fallen on hard times and are working in earnest to turn your life around by getting a job, stay clean/sober, going to school or in any other way be a more self sufficient person then I bear you no ill will but what about my right not to have to fund the lives of deadbeats, junkies and other assorted losers who are just gaming the system? If you don't want to be drug tested then don't have your handout. Pretty simple.
Actually, I think if you get ANY kind of federal assistance, a drug test should be required. As long as they are illegal, then if you choose to ignore that fact, then you should be held responsible.

Someone who has fallen on hard times and is working in earnest to turn things around, has no time for illegal drugs, so they won't be affected.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:12 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
The presumtion of innocence is a concept of law. The requirement to pass a drug test, as 85% of US business now requires, is a decision made by the company. There is no law that says you must pass a drug test to be employed in the US. At least, not yet.

The difference between someone who works, and as an employment requirement has to pass a drug test, is different from a welfare user, for the reason cited above. If you are seeking employment, you have to follow the requirements of the employer. Welfare users are not employees. The Feds do require drug testing for some government employees. They can do this because the people they are testing are employees.

Welfare users are not employees they are citizens. As citizens they are subject to laws, not employer requirements. The government is limited as to what it can do to citizens. Companies are less restricted.

Besides, all the states that have tried drug testing welfare users have found that very few drug users are on welfare. Alcohol, as a legal drug, is much cheaper, and poor people simply can not afford drugs. Drug testing for all states trying it was more expensive than it was effective.
Actually, those states who tried drug testing welfare users, didn't have a 100% turn out,

Though this story talks about recovering "missed benefits", there is more to the story.

Welfare Recipients Eligible For Missed Benefits « CBS Miami

Quote:
Republican Gov. Rick Scott championed a law that required welfare applicants to pay for and pass a drug test from July through October last year. Roughly 4,000 adults did not have drugs in their system and 108 tested positive. Nearly 2,500 people refused to take the drug test.
4000 took the test, 108 failed, almost 2500 people refused the test. If I needed the assistance, I would step up and provide a sample to prove I wasn't using drugs in a heartbeat. So, why would almost 39% of the people refuse? Something to hide?

Now I am sure that within that 39% there are actually some who are legitimately annoyed with having to take a drug test, but I seriously doubt that the entire group of 2500 people fall into that category.

Had the entire group of 6500 been tested, I am fairly sure the end totals would have been very different.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:42 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Actually, those states who tried drug testing welfare users, didn't have a 100% turn out,

Though this story talks about recovering "missed benefits", there is more to the story.

Welfare Recipients Eligible For Missed Benefits « CBS Miami

4000 took the test, 108 failed, almost 2500 people refused the test. If I needed the assistance, I would step up and provide a sample to prove I wasn't using drugs in a heartbeat. So, why would almost 39% of the people refuse? Something to hide?

Now I am sure that within that 39% there are actually some who are legitimately annoyed with having to take a drug test, but I seriously doubt that the entire group of 2500 people fall into that category.

Had the entire group of 6500 been tested, I am fairly sure the end totals would have been very different.
Many couldn't afford it. At any rate, its being appealed, and will likely fail to pass judicial oversight.

Continuing the process still costs the state of Florida more money then it will save.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:32 AM

1,245 posts, read 923,472 times
Shouldn't there be some kind of tests for corporate subsidies? Hint hint, wallstreet bank bailouts, big oil, obamas failed "green" companies, and so on.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:37 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,769,934 times
So should all public employees be regularly drug tested?

Old 02-17-2013, 09:58 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,396 times
It seems to me that those of you opposing drug testing welfare recipients don't want take any measures to ensure that they're using the money they're receiving responsibly.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:25 AM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Public employees passed a drug test to get hired.

So have a great many of us paying their salaries and are subject to future regular testing as well.

What's fit for the goose................

Old 02-17-2013, 10:36 AM

142 posts, read 205,782 times
I say drug testing for driver's licenses, all employment, gun registration, all sba loans and school grants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies