Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 07:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

That's how many people have died in vehicle accidents since Newtown. CLEARLY we need to outlaw certain types of cars - and clearly we need to put some laws in place regarding how fast a car can drive. We need to adjust all accelerators so that no car will drive over 55 MPH.

That's how many people have died from heart disease since Newtown. CLEARLY we need more laws regarding the types of food people eat, how much exercise they get, and we should establish legal limits on BMI - and outlaw chips, red meat, and soda from food stamp recipients.

That's how many people have died from whooping cough since Newtown. CLEARLY we need to imprison or at least heavily fine parents who don't have their children vaccinated.

That's how many women have died - in the US alone - in childbirth since Newtown. CLEARLY we should outlaw pregnancy.

That's how many people have died from falling off a ladder since Newtown. CLEARLY we need to outlaw ladders.

Prioritize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 08:10 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Shouldn't it be "another person snapped, and killed a child using a firearm" ? Maybe the questions should be Why are people snapping, Why are people thinking that taking another human life is acceptable ? Why are people not being able to cope with everyday life ? Why are people turning to violence ? Why are people thinking killing a mass number of people will make them feel better ? These are the questions that need to be addressed. Take the firearms away from them and they will find something else, take that away from them and again they will find something else. Murder and violence has been around for ever and will never go away until we figure out why people do it. Taking the tools these people use will not solve anything they will still want to kill and hurt, it might make it harder but they will find ways. The only people you will be hurting is the law abiding ones.
You are arguing with the wrong gun owner. I have already provided information you have provided above. The ONLY people laws will affect are the law abiding citizens.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:48 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I could not be more solidly with you on this issue. In fact, so much so that I'm not sure I'd agree that most gun owners are responsible. More and more, I see them as a strange sociopathic lot that cares nothing about anything or anyone but themselves.

In my view, the epitome of irresponsibility is to remain unmoved, unaffected, and stubborn as ever in denial of the need to do much more - whatever it takes - to address this new unthinkable level of random gun carnage that we see.
Just in the last couple of months we've had young people killed by kooks with guns. First instance was the old koot who shot the teenagers who broke into his house. He didn't give them any warning, waited for them and then shot them. Then he head shot both of them to finish them off.

Then this nut who purchased a gun legally, had a permit and opened fire on innocent people driving by wounded two and killed a 9 year old boy.

I guarantee you one thing, these gun nuts love their guns more than they care about our children. They would probably admit to that.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:50 AM

29,497 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
You are arguing with the wrong gun owner. I have already provided information you have provided above. The ONLY people laws will affect are the law abiding citizens.
Sorry about that, I quoted the wrong person.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Just in the last couple of months we've had young people killed by kooks with guns. First instance was the old koot who shot the teenagers who broke into his house. He didn't give them any warning, waited for them and then shot them. Then he head shot both of them to finish them off.

Then this nut who purchased a gun legally, had a permit and opened fire on innocent people driving by wounded two and killed a 9 year old boy.

I guarantee you one thing, these gun nuts love their guns more than they care about our children. They would probably admit to that.
It has nothing to do with the love of guns. Stop using that as the excuse. There are millions of gun owners out there that have hurt nothing but paper targets. I'm sure you've been told that countless times but choose to ignore it. Why focus on the firearms instead of the bad people behind them ? When a drunk driver kills a family do you focus on the "booze" or the vehicle they used ? When a drug addict overdoses do you blame the drug or the dealer ? When someone blows up a federal building do you blame diesel fuel and fertilizer or U haul truck ?

Old 02-20-2013, 10:39 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

That's how many people have died in vehicle accidents since Newtown. CLEARLY we need to outlaw certain types of cars - and clearly we need to put some laws in place regarding how fast a car can drive. We need to adjust all accelerators so that no car will drive over 55 MPH.

That's how many people have died from heart disease since Newtown. CLEARLY we need more laws regarding the types of food people eat, how much exercise they get, and we should establish legal limits on BMI - and outlaw chips, red meat, and soda from food stamp recipients.

That's how many people have died from whooping cough since Newtown. CLEARLY we need to imprison or at least heavily fine parents who don't have their children vaccinated.

That's how many women have died - in the US alone - in childbirth since Newtown. CLEARLY we should outlaw pregnancy.

That's how many people have died from falling off a ladder since Newtown. CLEARLY we need to outlaw ladders.

Prioritize.
BS statistics.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:48 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
That's not accurate.

In 2010, there were 35,332 deaths due to motor vehicle accidents. In contrast, there were about 32,000 deaths from firearms. There are predictions that if firearm violence continues at its present rate, and deaths from motor vehicles continue to decline, as they have been, that deaths due to firearms will exceed deaths due to motor vehicle accidents by 2015.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/dea...10_release.pdf
From the "National Digest" column in my morning newspaper today:
"Safety Council: Traffic deaths surged in 2012"
WASHINGTON-Traffic fatalities rose 5 percent last year, according to an analysis of preliminary state data, reversing a seven-year decline in which the number of annual traffic deaths reached their lowest level in more than six decades.
An estimated 36,200 people died in motor vehicle accidents in 2012, the National Safety Council said Tuesday....
Crash injuries requiring medical care also rose 5 percent last year to 3.6 million...

However, I have read that crime statistics show that gun deaths are declining, and gun deaths by rifle are between 1 and 2 percent of the total. Gun deaths by "assault rifle" are statistically insignificant, as are gun deaths by "high capacity magazines"
So, why the hue and cry to ban "assault rifles" and "high capacity magazines"? IMO, it is an illogical, emotional response to a tragedy. Such a law was a dismal failure the last time it was enacted (in that it accomplished little or nothing); what makes anybody think it will be worthwhile to try it again?
I don't own an AR, or an AK or any other military style "assault rifle", nor do I want one ( I have more important things to spend the money on), but the new list includes the rifle that I used to use for hunting and target shooting, my old Remington auto-loader with the box magazine! THAT, as far as I am concerned, is simply STUPID!

Old 02-20-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
From the "National Digest" column in my morning newspaper today:
"Safety Council: Traffic deaths surged in 2012"
WASHINGTON-Traffic fatalities rose 5 percent last year, according to an analysis of preliminary state data, reversing a seven-year decline in which the number of annual traffic deaths reached their lowest level in more than six decades.
An estimated 36,200 people died in motor vehicle accidents in 2012, the National Safety Council said Tuesday....
Crash injuries requiring medical care also rose 5 percent last year to 3.6 million...

However, I have read that crime statistics show that gun deaths are declining, and gun deaths by rifle are between 1 and 2 percent of the total. Gun deaths by "assault rifle" are statistically insignificant, as are gun deaths by "high capacity magazines"
So, why the hue and cry to ban "assault rifles" and "high capacity magazines"? IMO, it is an illogical, emotional response to a tragedy. Such a law was a dismal failure the last time it was enacted (in that it accomplished little or nothing); what makes anybody think it will be worthwhile to try it again?
I don't own an AR, or an AK or any other military style "assault rifle", nor do I want one ( I have more important things to spend the money on), but the new list includes the rifle that I used to use for hunting and target shooting, my old Remington auto-loader with the box magazine! THAT, as far as I am concerned, is simply STUPID!
Bingo ! It might be a illogical emotional response but it makes the non informed or ignorant feel all warm fuzzy and safe. In their minds all they hear is the Gov't has finally done something about those evil scary weapons of mass destruction , now we , our children and everyone is safe !

Old 02-20-2013, 10:52 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
That's how many people have lost their lives from gun violence since Newtown. How can anyone with a brain say we don't need some new gun restrictions? Ridiculous.
The FACT that we have MORE of these makes your opinion ridiculous.

Dallas Homeowner Shoots and Kills Attempted Burglar (TX)
OpSD --"The homeowner heard a noise and when he went to investigate he found the would be intruder coming through a window of his home. The homeowner, who was armed, fired at the suspect, hitting and killing him."

Homeowner Holds Fugitive at Gunpoint Until the Cops Arrive (FL)
OpSD --"A wanted felon desperately tried to evade police in Daytona Beach, Florida, by breaking into a local man’s house and even went so far to bribe the homeowner with a large sum of money to help him escape from the authorities Feb. 14. Ultimately the homeowner decided to grab his gun and wait for the police."

Sub Shop Employee in PA Pulls Gun on Armed Robbers, Sends Him Running From Store (PA)
OpSD --"Upon realizing that his would be victim was armed the suspect fled the store and is still being sought by police."
Keep and Bear Arms - Gun Owners Home Page - 2nd Amendment Supporters

Old 02-20-2013, 11:01 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Nutjob with no crimminal history goes on 4 person killing spree in LA yesterday with a..... wait for it..... SHOTGUN. Just like Obnutbag's useful idiot Biden recommended for self defense.

Oh yeah get this, him being able to change and steal CARS at will allowed him to take his killing spree across a large geographic area. So?

Lanza used a Car to drive to the School

The nutbag Cop killer in LA used several vehicles to evade and take his killing spree from the LA Basin to the Mountains of the Sierra Nevada'

Ok dumbassed gun grabbers this begs the question, HOW ARE YOU GOING TO CONTROL CARS that allowed these nutbags to carry out their killing sprees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies