Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 10:19 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,904,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
MAJOR generalization. I'm curious how you've came to this conclusion. Have you talked with every welfare recipient in the country?
I know plenty of people who are or were on welfare and many have no plans to better themselves. When many keep making babies on welfare that answers my question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 10:34 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,951,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
Student loans? Without them most Americans would NOT be able to afford higher education. Period.

It simply isn't feasible to work a full time job and attend school. I know I did it for 3 years.

And do you really want millions of Americans languishing in the streets? Return to Orphanages? People dying in the streets when they are sick.

Western nations have set their standards higher. Government isnt by its very nature bad (or good) nor is business. You can't keep acting as if you want to "starve the beast". That's not an America that's worth living in, to return to 19th century living conditions.

Bingo!!! The solution is to break this country apart for good. This country will never agree on anything anymore. Even background checks for gun purchases. We need to realize it is over.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:39 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,967,514 times
If we stopped all welfare programs, The loss of Walmart's biggest consumer would cause them to go bankrupt.
What would the globalist Neocon's have to say then?
And how do they justify their tax dollars going to support a leech like Walmart?

Old 03-09-2013, 08:37 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,762,627 times
The recession is long over, the unemployment rates are way down. It's time to end the extended unemployment handouts and kick a whole lot of people off welfare. Obviously anyone can get a job now if they want to and they have two arms and two legs and an IQ over 70.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:43 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,412,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I know plenty of people who are or were on welfare and many have no plans to better themselves. When many keep making babies on welfare that answers my question.
That doesn't mean everyone does.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
That doesn't mean everyone does.
The unemployment rate is now very low -- the excuses are over. They could work if they wanted to. Maybe not in 2009, but certainly we all see that the recession is long over, numbers are looking great.

It's time to cut welfare handouts and food stamps and get the lazy people working.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:59 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,276,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The unemployment rate is now very low -- the excuses are over. They could work if they wanted to. Maybe not in 2009, but certainly we all see that the recession is long over, numbers are looking great.

It's time to cut welfare handouts and food stamps and get the lazy people working.
When the unemployment rate is 14% I think there are still people that will have difficulty finding a job. My dad has only hired 4 people since the recession ended, but he laid off 12 when it started. The demand for employees is just not there.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
When the unemployment rate is 14% I think there are still people that will have difficulty finding a job. My dad has only hired 4 people since the recession ended, but he laid off 12 when it started. The demand for employees is just not there.
Welfare needs to be reformed so that it isn't a lifestyle choice.

It's one thing to have a safety net for people who are laid off and really cannot find a job immediately but welfare needs to be temporary. Having baby after baby should not get one life-long government handouts.

Cities like Camden New Jersey and Detroit are springing up because of generational welfare. Kids grow up inspired to never become any more than gang thugs. Drug use in this country is soaring because far too many people plan never to have to find a job and use their nice government money for meth and heroin and pot.

We need to bring back the work ethic -- the War on Poverty is a dismal failure.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:03 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,497,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

why are there still three times as many unemployed as there are job openings?

why are there so many long-term unemployed people over 50 whose extended unemployment benefits ran out long ago? can these people work if they wanted to?

Old 03-09-2013, 12:34 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,141,628 times
This is class warfare at its finest. It's also hilarious how thoroughly hoodwinked both sides are. The government can take your last dollar to build more bombers that we dont need and you won't complain about that, but you will complain when they take a nickel to feed some poor people. Talk about not choosing your battles wisely! And the fat-asses (D and R) in Washington are laughing all the way to the bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies