Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 12:10 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is an attack on American values, and it insults the Christian foundation which we stand upon. That is my opinion and I am entiteled to it.
American values like liberty and justice for ALL, or equality and freedom?
And you should check out the treaty of Tripoli for one of the founding fathers words on this being a Christian country.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own version of facts.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:13 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,776 times
Quote:
It is an attack on American values, and it insults the Christian foundation which we stand upon. That is my opinion and I am entiteled to it.
Personally, I'd be more worried about the sky-high divorce rate in this country and the farce Hollywood marriages and re-marriages by billionaire celebs, but then again, I try not to let the romantic activities of complete strangers bother me very much. Or at all for that matter.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:14 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Again, the whole point is this: what if a "civil union" was created which had same financial benefits as the Holy Matrimony aka Marriage aka a "Union Between One Man and One Woman? Wouldn't that be enough?
Marriage benefits are not strictly financial.
No, it is not enough.

Holy matrimony?

The divorce rate hovers at 50%, that's real holy.
When you get divorced from that "church" wedding/marriage, do you go to the state or to the church?
You go to the state for dissolution of your contract.

The "church" has nothing to do with it.

Do you want non-christers to be unable to marry also?

Why don't you call your "rite" something else and have it confer absolutely no benefits or rights at all.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:16 PM

334 posts, read 451,113 times
Another thing, I will try to keep this from being deleted .... So no personalization.

Seems most of the anti same-sex marriage folks have some type of sexual dysfunction in their own lives, some will not have sex with their wives/husbands for various reasons(other than health), some fantasize about have sex with or marrying animals, some even dead people, and in their perverted thoughts equate this to same-sex marriage.

I am very secure in MY sexuality as a Heterosexual male, I have NO problem with same sex people getting married, raising children either adopted, or biologically theirs, AND ... sit down Homophobes .. I can comment on another male's appearance.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:16 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
LMAO! So create more inequality to fix inequality??? You people are a riot. You ***** and moan about inequality, but have no bones whatsoever to use it to your advantage.

There's no inequality.

Straight people can obtain the DOD benefits by getting married.

Gay people cannot obtain the DOD benefits by getting married, so they have to have a separate track available to them.

This way, both straight people AND gay people have access to benefits. Where before, only straight people could get benefits.

It's not perfect, but the obvious solution - marriage equality - evades the superstitious ingrates that have to great of a stranglehold on public policy in this country.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:17 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
There's no inequality.

Straight people can obtain the DOD benefits by getting married.

Gay people cannot obtain the DOD benefits by getting married, so they have to have a separate track available to them.

This way, both straight people AND gay people have access to benefits. Where before, only straight people could get benefits.

It's not perfect, but the obvious solution - marriage equality - evades the superstitious ingrates that have to great of a stranglehold on public policy in this country.
They could move to where it is legal to marry. Very easy.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:19 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
They could move to where it is legal to marry. Very easy.

Stupid answer. Are DOD jobs only located in states where it's "legal to marry?"

In states where it IS legal for gay people to marry, then gay people should not have a separate track available to them for "domestic partnerships" - they should have to marry to get the benefits.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:19 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Also, why don't you gay marriage supporters go for equal rights for Civil Unions instead? It would be a HECK OF A LOT EASIER and you would get the support of people who are already in those instead of pissing people off.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:20 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperCheck View Post
Seems most of the anti same-sex marriage folks have some type of sexual dysfunction in their own lives, some will not have sex with their wives/husbands for various reasons(other than health), some fantasize about have sex with or marrying animals, some even dead people, and in their perverted thoughts equate this to same-sex marriage.
Oh! Don't forget the guy who always mentions dogs and poop. He's a laugh a minute!

Old 02-20-2013, 12:21 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Also, why don't you gay marriage supporters go for equal rights for Civil Unions instead? It would be a HECK OF A LOT EASIER and you would get the support of people who are already in those instead of pissing people off.
Why weren't blacks happy with having separate schools, water fountains, etc?

Because separate is never equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies