Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:28 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,475,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Quit pushing education as a way to better yourself *******s! Thanks a lot!
Someone using the word "*******" can`t understand why he can`t find a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Meanwhile the people seeking careers in trade skills, like plumbing, woodworking, carpentry, construction, brick laying, carpentry, etc... are not discussed by Obama at all. There are no grants to owners of trade skill businesses to hire and train people, because they don't have cool names like Skip Gates, don't have deep pockets, or college basketball teams, and their students don't borrow billions of dollars in tuition loans from the government. Also, these businesses don't help move Obama's liberal agenda.
You literally don't know what you're talking about. The largest emphasis in President Obama's higher education program, from the very beginning, has been the community colleges. They provide the education and training that lead directly to employment opportunities in tons of different fields.

Your resentment has overwhelmed any reasoning capacity you might have.

6,137 posts, read 4,863,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Where exactly in the article does it mention liberal? Quote, please.
It doesn't say it in the article, nor did I say it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
This has nothing to do with liberal policy. It has everything to do with the job market being a buyers market.
Probably more than anything else at this point in time, yeah.

I'm just here to call out the geniuses who can't grasp such a basic concept, and resort to ridiculous strawman arguments about how "the right" hates education.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:33 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,682,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
BULLS**T!

There's nothing forcing the law firm hiring a $10/hr runner to require a degree for the position.
The point is, that unemployment is so high, so many people out of work, and so many applicants to the same job. So who do you hire with so many applicants, some kid out of high school, who may not be able to read his diploma, or a college grad who might be able to at least read that high school diploma?

Another point is that college diplomas are becoming a dime a dozen, and with grade inflation, they no longer carry the same level of knowledge, skill and accomplishment as they once did.

A History of College Grade Inflation - NYTimes.com

The researchers collected historical data on letter grades awarded by more than 200 four-year colleges and universities. Their analysis (published in the Teachers College Record) confirms that the share of A grades awarded has skyrocketed over the years. Take a look at the red line in the chart below, which refers to the share of grades given that are A’s:

Old 02-20-2013, 09:37 AM

1,596 posts, read 1,159,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You literally don't know what you're talking about. The largest emphasis in President Obama's higher education program, from the very beginning, has been the community colleges. They provide the education and training that lead directly to employment opportunities in tons of different fields.

How come community colleges don't have sports?

Which president wanted to set up basketball courts for all the blackies?

I can't remember if it was Clinton or Bush.

How can you have education without sports?

Old 02-20-2013, 09:38 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,325,718 times
Anyone else see this trend as a sop to the teachers unions and the politicians they own?

Old 02-20-2013, 09:43 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,900,938 times
Quote:
Is there anything in the article that demonstrates that liberals are the ones who demand that all jobs must have a college education as a qualification?
No, but the left in this country is the "side" pushing for everyone to get a college degree.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:43 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,460,046 times
These quotes from the article rang true with me:

Quote:
it’s a buyer’s market for employers... “When you get 800 résumés for every job ad, you need to weed them out somehow,”.
I don't get 800, but I do get 50-100 for every job opening I post. It's almost impossible to get to the interview stage without a college degree on your resume.

Quote:
Mr. Slipakoff said his firm had little turnover, though, largely because of its rapid expansion. The company has grown to more than 30 lawyers from five in 2008, plus a support staff of about 15, and promotions have abounded.
This is similar to my firm. We had little turnover for a number of years because we were promoting from within. Our recent college grads started out doing administrative work, but since they had the college background, we knew we could rely on them to proof read papers, do research for us, and eventually we get them more involved in substantive work. The College degree was an indicator (but not guarantee) that they had the set of skills

I started out as the assistant office manager with my firm. My first project was overseeing the renovation of our offices. I was packing boxes and moving desks, and covered with dry-wall dust. Now I'm a partner, and I know our business from the ground up.

Quote:
The risk with hiring college graduates for jobs they are supremely overqualified for is, of course, that they will leave as soon as they find something better, particularly as the economy improves.
If there is no upward mobility for an admin/unskilled position, you're not going to keep a college graduate there forever. It's a big pain in the butt to hire new people, so I wouldn't look for a young college grad for a position like that.

I agree that there is degree inflation, and that not all people should go to college, not all degrees are particularly valuable and not all jobs require college degrees. All of that stuff is true. However this article really focuses its anecdotal evidence on small white collar employers. In my experience, that hiring environment is predisposed to hiring college grads because you need to maximize your workforce. Having an admin person that is capable of stepping up in a busy time and providing substantive support is a huge plus.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:45 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,512,367 times
Quote:
Perhaps he should go back to college.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:46 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,900,938 times
So once everyone has a bachelor's degree, will liberals be pushing for everyone to get masters degrees?

Also, liberals, why does "education" to you need to be in the form of 4-year college degree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies