Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 02:37 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,234,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
You can thank the greedy right wingers for shipping all the honest, good paying jobs to communist China just so they can line their pockets more.
I guess it is true that you learn something everyday. All this time I thought Clinton was a democrat, and now I learn he was a greedy right winger republican.

"When President Bill Clinton signed off on the North American Free Trade Agreement and the General Agreement on Trade & Tariffs in 1993, otherwise known as NAFTA/GATT, he quite literally slashed the economic throat of the United States. We've been hemorrhaging jobs to foreign nations like Communist China ever since."

Clinton's Signing NAFTA/GATT Cut America's Economic Throat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 02:42 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,578,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
You can thank the greedy right wingers for shipping all the honest, good paying jobs to communist China just so they can line their pockets more.
That was CLINTON!

Old 02-20-2013, 02:46 PM

563 posts, read 807,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Is this a vent or emerging victim mindset?

Wake up tomorrow and be grateful. It could change your outlook on life.
Be realistic, you might just save yourself.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:47 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,457,574 times
For some reason, "experts" claim that higher education (to more people) will lead to a stronger economy, higher income and lower unemployment. As a matter of fact, some "experts" say that the reason our economy is currently in shambles, is because we don't have enough educated people... The current recession however, tells a different story. I guess that if we had 10 million more college graduates we would have millions of additional unemployed.
I remember 20-30 years ago, when globalization was discussed "experts" claimed that job outsourcing is a boon to US economy. Not only we wont lose jobs, but more will be created! How, (I asked)? China and India will invest billions in the American economy...
The same with high education. Another aspect most people didn't notice - many healthcare jobs (not doctors) now demand PhD (jobs like RN, OT, PT etc). Guess who pays the bill at the end of the day...
The days when secretaries (sorry, administrative attendants) will also need PhD are not far.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:52 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,562,340 times
After reading that story, I think the real moral of the story is don't go to "Directional Universtiy". Stick with the state flagship or above.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:52 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,856,305 times
When your back is against the wall because you are in debt you cannot just quit your job or take a lower paying one. Some employers know this and take advantage.
"Throw some more work on Sam he'll do it and wont complain. He's got a new house payment."
When people are desperate they make bad decisions.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:54 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post

I'm an IT hiring manager. No degree = no job. The only people in IT without at least a B.S. are the interns. To be considered for a position, a candidate must have a strong understanding of mathematics, sciences, and engineering, even it these don't directly apply to their position. Then on top of that are certifications and continuing education if an employee wants to stay competitive. Otherwise you're competing against contract programmers in India, Brazil, et al. To break into management a person usually needs an M.S.
My husband does IT at a Fortune 500 company. He doesn't have a degree. What got him the job was his highly specialized experience and top notch references. He'll probably be a project manager at some point.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:03 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/bu...nies.html?_r=0

Great article from the New York Times. Even a $10/hour job as a document runner for this law firm requires a college degree now. All of this thanks to degree inflation, or shall I call it degree water down. All because liberals think everyone has the right to go to college. If one tries to even insinuate that maybe college might not be right for everyone. they throw a hissy fit.
I dropped out of high school to start working.

Now, I'm 29, and run a business where I have numerous college grads below me.

I still have no intention of finishing my degree and don't really stress over stories like the above because I'm intelligent, driven, tactful, and clever enough to have navigated life to a point where I'm successful and stable without "having" to get a degree just so that I could hope to make $10/hr.

Most of my friends do have college degrees, and it's always been fun listening to them insist that you can't hope for anything without a degree and just have to accept the $100k+ debt you'll likely incur to get it... as we sit in a restaurant eating a lunch I'm paying for, that we drove to in a convertible that I own... etc.

I'm not disparaging the value of an education for someone with a solid goal, but college has indeed, to a large degree, become an extention of high school where young people who have no idea what they want to do with their lives can kick the can down the road a few more years. People in that situation need to figure out what they really want to do and how realistic it is before they take on a debt that may follow them for the rest of their life.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:12 PM

651 posts, read 705,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I dropped out of high school to start working.

Now, I'm 29, and run a business where I have numerous college grads below me.

I still have no intention of finishing my degree and don't really stress over stories like the above because I'm intelligent, driven, tactful, and clever enough to have navigated life to a point where I'm successful and stable without "having" to get a degree just so that I could hope to make $10/hr.

Most of my friends do have college degrees, and it's always been fun listening to them insist that you can't hope for anything without a degree and just have to accept the $100k+ debt you'll likely incur to get it... as we sit in a restaurant eating a lunch I'm paying for, that we drove to in a convertible that I own... etc.

I'm not disparaging the value of an education for someone with a solid goal, but college has indeed, to a large degree, become an extention of high school where young people who have no idea what they want to do with their lives can kick the can down the road a few more years. People in that situation need to figure out what they really want to do and how realistic it is before they take on a debt that may follow them for the rest of their life.
You know I did a similar thing. I took my last three months of High School on a correspondence course so I could work with my Uncle in Electrical contracting. I did finish and got a diploma. I only got my AA after I semi retired. I can remember going into my Attorneys office after a car accident I had, and he had to ask how much did you make on your last job you did. I told him it was about 4000 dollars for a weeks work. He looked up at me and said, thats a lot of money. Yep. And I saved a lot more. LOL Its why me and the wife can weather this recession like we have. Not living the high life but pay the bills and I don't work. So a college education is not something that is as useful as it was say in 1945

Old 02-20-2013, 03:21 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post

I'm an IT hiring manager. No degree = no job. The only people in IT without at least a B.S. are the interns. To be considered for a position, a candidate must have a strong understanding of mathematics, sciences, and engineering, even it these don't directly apply to their position. Then on top of that are certifications and continuing education if an employee wants to stay competitive. Otherwise you're competing against contract programmers in India, Brazil, et al. To break into management a person usually needs an M.S.
From my experience (software consultant as well as regular employee at near a dozen IT departments in San Francisco and Minneapolis) that is absolutely false.

Whatever company you are work for is doing it wrong, and not representative of the industry. Plus I bet you have so much red tape and bloat that your IT department is a complete disaster and hell hole of office politics where nothing gets done without 2 weeks of meetings and internal wrangling, to do nothing more than get some over-payed glorified script runner to hit execute. If so, get out and find yourself a real company to devote your career to. A friend of mine is a manager at Microsoft and never attended a day of college in his life.

The top IT departments (cutting edge) hire on recommendation from their employees and don't even read resumes much less care about degrees. No recommendation? Well your degree means exactly dck, your only way in is to prove yourself with work you have done (no, following along with teacher does not cut it as work you have done). I was first hired as a computer programmer without a bachelors, any work experience, or even a formal resume by providing the source code to video games I had created in high school. That is all it takes in IT, ability to do the job, and its easy enough to prove without a degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies