Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 10:45 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,508,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Personal services such as health care, legal services, financial services, and auto repairs would be subject to the FairTax, as would renting apartments and other real property.[4]

FairTax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
hmmmm....wiki

funny thing..the actual fair tax says different....and the actual bill

so much for wiki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 10:47 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,271,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I have accomplished considerable profit and wealth for my employers and landlords.
My friend's dad is from Albania; he came here with no degree or contacts and started a restaurant in MI. He isn't rich and currently works for someone else, but he has a house and sent 2 kids to college, one to become a black belt in martial arts, and another to cosmetology school. He is currently trying to help his son start his own martial art studio.

Btw, he loathes communism and loves capitalism.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:04 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,842,501 times
Low taxes on the rich - where will the govt. get its money from to pay for defense, infrastructure, police, courts, schools, health etc....?

Old 02-24-2013, 11:14 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,942,353 times
I personally would prefer a national sales tax, that exempts food. I don't know where the rate would be, but I think it's a better solution.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:22 PM

89,067 posts, read 44,906,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Low taxes on the rich - where will the govt. get its money from to pay for defense, infrastructure, police, courts, schools, health etc....?
From the people who benefit from all of the above... essentially... EVERYONE, instead of the only 49% who pay federal income tax now.

And it wouldn't be low taxes on the rich. 15.3% of $500,000 is $76,500. The same tax rate for an income of $50,000 is $7,650. Is it really that hard for you to understand that $76,500 is MUCH more than $7,650 though both earners would be paying for the exact same access to the exact same government benefits and services?

Old 02-24-2013, 11:43 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,842,501 times
so where does the tax revenue come from in periods of high unemployment?

Old 02-25-2013, 12:01 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,483,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
hmmmm....wiki

funny thing..the actual fair tax says different....and the actual bill

so much for wiki

Do you agree that FairTax applies to a car rental? Where does the bill say that apartmment rental is exempt from FairTax?

Old 02-25-2013, 12:01 AM

89,067 posts, read 44,906,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
so where does the tax revenue come from in periods of high unemployment?
Whoever is still working and subject to paying federal income tax. Unemployment isn't the only concern, though. Because of the recession, tax revenue from the higher income earners (they're most likely to be subject to paying federal income tax) declined quite a bit as their incomes declined.

Source: U.S. Treasury’s Monthly Treasury Statement

More on that from a comment I posted last August:
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
AND when the people at the top started losing money, the federal government lost a disproportionate amount of tax revenue, MUCH MORE of a loss than the people at the top had. Why? Because the federal government is overly reliant on higher income groups for tax revenue.

That SIGNIFICANTLY increases deficit spending in a recession or economic slowdown, which in turn cranks up the National Debt. The National Debt is at $16 Trillion now because of the over-reliance on only a few for tax revenue and the consequent deficit spending that ensues when the economy is sluggish. Pi** poor economic policy, but there you have it.

When nearly 40% of the federal income tax revenue is paid by a group whose share of the income declines (which it has, by 7% so far), the result is MORE than a minor decline in tax revenue (which is exactly what happened).

That illustrates why a flat tax is a much more fiscally sound taxing policy. It's immune to shifts in income share.

In addition, a flat tax ensures everyone pays their fair share according to their level of income: Earn very little; pay very little. Earn A LOT; pay A LOT.
That 7% decline in income share yielded a 25% decline in income tax revenue.

NOW do you all understand why it's extremely poor policy to be over-reliant on any one group for a significant portion of tax revenue?

Last edited by InformedConsent; 02-25-2013 at 12:12 AM..

Old 02-25-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I personally would prefer a national sales tax, that exempts food. I don't know where the rate would be, but I think it's a better solution.

Why do you want renters to pay more tax than homeowners?

Old 02-25-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Whoever is still working and subject to paying federal income tax. Unemployment isn't the only concern, though. Because of the recession, tax revenue from the higher income earners (they're most likely to be subject to paying federal income tax) declined quite a bit as their incomes declined.

Thank you for illustrating that underpaid burger flippers working for top-bracket small business owners are actually contributing more in taxes than if the burger flippers were paid higher wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies