Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 09:17 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The higher/est incomes would be taxed at the same flat rate as the middle incomes; increasing incomes at the top generates no more tax revenue than increasing incomes for the middle class.
But creating an enormous income gap between the working poor non-taxpayers and the taxpayers would yield much more income tax revenue for the government. As such, the government would have a very strong incentive to keep the working poor non-taxpayers' income as low as possible while keeping the income of the taxpayers as high as possible. That's EXACTLY the problem we have now.

Your suggestion doesn't help the working poor. It keeps them trapped in poverty. Is that your goal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 09:49 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
I don't consider it a true consumption tax, since homeowners get to enjoy untaxed consumption.
huh???

homeowners are the ones paying ALL the taxes

renters pay NOTHING

Old 02-27-2013, 09:53 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
huh???

renters pay NOTHING
They pay higher rent because the owner pays higher taxes.

It is like when they tax oil companies, the oil companies don't eat the tax they pass it along to the consumers. So when everyone says tax what ever company or product it just increases the costs to the end consumers.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:58 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post

It is like when they tax oil companies, the oil companies don't eat the tax they pass it along to the consumers. So when everyone says tax what ever company or product it just increases the costs to the end consumers.
but this guy never understands...he thinks homeowners get freebees..and renters pay all the taxes

5 pages ago (pg 48)

I as him this....which he has YET TO ANSWER

as a renter ....do you understand MAINTENANCE.....

ever had to BUY a hot water heater for an apartment....bet you havent

ever had to repace a central AC/HEAT unit for a dwelling....bet you havent

ever had to replace the toilet, that the NASTY RENTERS broke...because it wasnt theirs.....bet you havent

home owners/landlords have to do ALL those things

I can tell you as a homeowner...(it almost never fails) around tax time....something goes wrong.......3 years ago it was the ac/heater.....last year it was the washer/dryer and dishwasher....this year already replaced the microwave,,,and the 10yr old hot water hearter tank went (replaced it with a tankless(love it big time))

renters NEVER deal with those expenses and TAXES

Old 02-27-2013, 10:22 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post

We've explained that countless times. They STILL don't get it.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:35 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,133,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
So? It doesn't matter who you are or where you live, we all have housing costs. In NYC it is cheaper to rent and in Chicago t is cheaper to buy.

I understand the basic premise, but I don't necessarily agree that the homeowner is in a better position or is able to consume more than the renter.
I paid cash for a used house since I made money in the stock market, so I wouldn't have to pay extra. I don't recall now what the taxes were, though.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:50 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
huh???

renters pay NOTHING

If renters pay NOTHING, it's okay to tax rental property at exorbitant rates right? Like, say, 5 times the rate owner-occupied homes are taxed. Renters pay nothing, so they should be oblivious to it.

Homeowner pays $1000 mortgage payment (includes property taxes, renter pays $1000 rent, renter pays WAY more FAIRtAX THAN HOMEOWNER on equal spending, not to mention that the homeowner enjoyed greater consumption than the renter.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
but this guy never understands...he thinks homeowners get freebees..and renters pay all the taxes

5 pages ago (pg 48)

I as him this....which he has YET TO ANSWER

as a renter ....do you understand MAINTENANCE.....

ever had to BUY a hot water heater for an apartment....bet you havent

ever had to repace a central AC/HEAT unit for a dwelling....bet you havent

ever had to replace the toilet, that the NASTY RENTERS broke...because it wasnt theirs.....bet you havent

home owners/landlords have to do ALL those things

I can tell you as a homeowner...(it almost never fails) around tax time....something goes wrong.......3 years ago it was the ac/heater.....last year it was the washer/dryer and dishwasher....this year already replaced the microwave,,,and the 10yr old hot water hearter tank went (replaced it with a tankless(love it big time))

renters NEVER deal with those expenses and TAXES

Of COURSE I understand maintenance, for which the renter pays one way or another. There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch and the landlord is in business to make a profit. Usually that means cash flow(income > expenses), principal reduction, and value appreciation.

And renters rarely get the opportunity to contribute their own labor to maintenance, so they have to pay for it in the wy of more cash (higher rent).

Old 02-27-2013, 11:00 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Of COURSE I understand maintenance, for which the renter pays one way or another. There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch and the landlord is in business to make a profit. Usually that means cash flow(income > expenses), principal reduction, and value appreciation.

And renters rarely get the opportunity to contribute their own labor to maintenance, so they have to pay for it in the wy of more cash (higher rent).
This is going to sound crazy so make sure your seated.

The renter could always save money and buy a house themselves! I know, I probably just broke the Internet.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
huh???

renters pay NOTHING

Rents are subject to FairTax, Landlords must remit this tax to their state tax collector which then remits it to Washington.

Purchase of an existing (used) home is exempt from FairTax, but if you rent the same existing home, you pay up the wazoo.

Since rental property is taxed at a higher rate (in many states) than owner-occupied homes, the FairTax is like a tax on to of a tax (the 'extra' property tax on a rental) on top of a tax (the base proerty tax rate also paid by the homeowner).

I've been saying for years that rental property should NOT be taxed to a greater degree than owner-occupied homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies