Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 12:08 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,123,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Here we go again, another "I hate cops thread". It gets old.
Yes the I hate cops meme is tiresome, unfortunately the abuses they expose are not. So, I'll put up with the hatred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 12:35 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,437,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Yes the I hate cops meme is tiresome, unfortunately the abuses they expose are not. So, I'll put up with the hatred.
95% are good. 5% are certifiable. The others suffer because they won't rat out the 5%.

That's my take.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:53 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,882,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
It also gets old when cops shoot innocent people.
I think cops shooting anyone, other than truly in self-defense is much more offensive as well as tedious than people noting this and directing others attention to this sad state of affairs.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:56 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,506,520 times
Default Collective law enforcement should NOT exceed INDIVIDUAL rights and self defense

Concerns about organized or collective law enforcement abuse of power, etc, are not new....

The Bastiat Collection - The Law (first published in 1850)

The law guilty of that very iniquity which it was its mission to punish! Truly, this is a serious fact, if it exists, and one to which I feel bound to call the attention of my fellow citizens. (pg 49)

If every man has the right of defending, even by force, his person, his liberty, and his property, a number of men have the right to combine together to extend, to organize a common force to provide regularly for this defense. (pg 50)

Collective right, then, has its principle, its reason for existing, its lawfulness, in individual right... Thus, as the force of an individual cannot lawfully touch the person, the liberty, or the property of another individual—for the same reason, the common force cannot lawfully be used to destroy the person, the liberty, or the property of individuals or of classes.

...And if this be not true of every individual force, acting independently, how can it be true of the collective force, which is only the organized union of isolated forces?

Nothing, therefore, can be more evident than this: The law is the organization of the natural right of lawful defense; it is the substitution of collective for individual forces, for the purpose of acting in the sphere in which they have a right to act, of doing what they have a right to do, to secure persons, liberties, and properties, and to maintain each in its right, so as to cause justice to reign over all.

The law has been perverted through the influence of two very different causes—naked greed and misconceived philanthropy. (pg 52)

http://library.mises.org/books/Frede...Collection.pdf

Old 02-23-2013, 01:03 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,479,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
all too often we have seen cops murder people and then the board of review calls the shooting justified.

start firing cops and see how they do then.
I do agee with you, if only on occasion this happened, but seems to be happening more and more. And these idiot police, screw it for those who due abide by their guidlines and rules. And are fair and caring, there are many out there, infact i know a few that are very capable police, and never have gotten into trouble ever.

How they can mistake a women for a man is beyond undertanding.

Your right most of the time the board of reviews, end up calling the shootings justifable. Really, when someone innocent has been killed. Not ok.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:16 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,882,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
all too often we have seen cops murder people and then the board of review calls the shooting justified.

start firing cops and see how they do then.
That is the issue.
I don't think Law Enforcement see's this as a problem.

I think Law Enforcement see's public oversight as the problem and only act when forced by public opinion or the threat of legal repercussions.

This is why it is not tedious, or a 'hate cops' rant to not these excesses by law enforcement, but arguably a public service.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:19 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,554,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
It also gets old when cops shoot innocent people.
It gets even, actually, much older when non-cops do so.

<signed>

A former cop

Old 02-23-2013, 01:26 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,016,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Here we go again, another "I hate cops thread". It gets old. Yes a FEW make mistakes out of the hundreds of thousands, and they are punished or prosecuted.
Would you agree that cops are held to a higher standard than the average joe? If you are paid by taxpayers to protect and serve, an seen as the "supposed" good guys, then you have to expect more scrutiny when you hear more and more instances of crooked cops. There is nothing more repulsive than when someone in LE or any other public official does things that are above the law. Having said that, do I hate all cops? No. Just the bad apples.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:28 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,016,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
So true.

And to Jim, the officer of the thread, I understand where your coming from but you all have to do more "policing" within the department. If there wasn't all of this "blue line" BS and acceptance of criminal activity then maybe we'd have less instances of cops thinking they can do whatever they want.
Yes.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:52 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,153,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I do agee with you, if only on occasion this happened, but seems to be happening more and more. And these idiot police, screw it for those who due abide by their guidlines and rules. And are fair and caring, there are many out there, infact i know a few that are very capable police, and never have gotten into trouble ever.

How they can mistake a women for a man is beyond undertanding.

Your right most of the time the board of reviews, end up calling the shootings justifable. Really, when someone innocent has been killed. Not ok.
I agree.

There's good cops out there but they're being intimidated and blacklisted by some of the corrupt for speaking up on the behalf of citizens. It should be the other way around.

Reform needs to happen. I'm still watching the video posted earlier by RebelYell and I can't believe some of the stuff on there. It both angers and saddens me. I know how it feels to have my rights abused by the police. I know a lot of others who do as well.

The Largest Street Gang in America Video by BoilingFrogs - Myspace Video
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies