Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 08:26 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I didn't say that. The way the system is constructed, the vast majority of Americans never see the real cost. Because of that there is no real pressure to reign in health care costs. That is actually what protects the present dysfunctional system and prevents us from moving to a more sensible single payer system.

My mother-in-law had chemotherapy. The cost was around $60,000 (we saw the number on the paperwork). But she paid none of that. Medicare picked up the tab. So she doesn't really care ... she has no skin in that game. If she and millions others actually receive bills for that kind of money then better believe the system would change and fast.

The only area where there is any pressure is the cost of health insurance. But that is not going up enough or for enough people for that to generate any real pressure for change.

As an aside, gotta love C-D. Get a 20 cent increase in gas and C-D is screaming like posters have been disemboweled. But the healthcare is ripping us off for billions and not a peep.
I find this very strange.

People not having skin in the game driving problems in the system leads you to conclude we should move to a single payer system where nobody has skin in the game? That doesn't make any sense to me.

A government bureaucrat isn't spending his own money any more than a person with insurance is now. So how does moving to a single payer system remove the problem of people not caring about costs since they have no incentive to keep them down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 09:06 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Bad health care choices cut across the board. Not every illness is someone's fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
SOME health problem may be linked to lifestyle choices, but there's no clear "this cancer is caused by that bad habit". correlation does not imply causation. Lots of people who live a healthy lifestyle get cancer or heart attacks, I've seen a lot of that during my life.

You're both putting words in my mouth. All I said was that poor people have worse lifestyle and health habits than people who are not poor and they should take responsibility for that.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:06 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I find this very strange.

People not having skin in the game driving problems in the system leads you to conclude we should move to a single payer system where nobody has skin in the game? That doesn't make any sense to me.

A government bureaucrat isn't spending his own money any more than a person with insurance is now. So how does moving to a single payer system remove the problem of people not caring about costs since they have no incentive to keep them down?
Because single payer systems work in the rest of the developed world and at half the cost of our own dysfunctional system.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Because single payer systems work in the rest of the developed world and at half the cost of our own dysfunctional system.
Someone earlier in the thread said our health costs are actually lower than most other nations....

And define "work."

Old 03-02-2013, 09:41 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
And define "work."
Cheaper to let cancer patients die as Europe does than our system which cures more.

U.S. Cancer Care Is Number One | NCPA

Think I prefer to stick with our "broken" system.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Cheaper to let cancer patients die, as Europe does than our system which cures more.

U.S. Cancer Care Is Number One | NCPA

Think I prefer to stick with our "broken" system.
And "working" means people get in to see doctors that they need to see and have funds (usually via insurance companies) to pay for treatment.

That is not what happens in these other countries that are apparently so great.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Someone earlier in the thread said our health costs are actually lower than most other nations....

And define "work."
Which is simply not true. Our average per capita cost is twice that of the next most expensive, Switzerland.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Which is simply not true. Our average per capita cost is twice that of the next most expensive, Switzerland.
Okay, go back through the thread and find the post. It was by Mircea, I believe. Quite lengthy, if that helps you find it.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
And "working" means people get in to see doctors that they need to see and have funds (usually via insurance companies) to pay for treatment.

That is not what happens in these other countries that are apparently so great.
Keep drinking the kool-aid.

I have lived in the UK and in Switzerland. And what you say is simply not true.

That said, the quality of care in the USA is very good. But so is the quality of care in other developed countries. The difference is that we pay twice as much as we should be paying.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:48 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
You're both putting words in my mouth. All I said was that poor people have worse lifestyle and health habits than people who are not poor and they should take responsibility for that.
No, I'm questioning the words you're putting in your own mouth. Data indicate that socio-economic status has an effect on health outcomes, but that can be because poorer people lack access to preventive health care services, have less money to buy necessary medications, less time for exercise, higher stress levels, inadequate housing, lower education levels, or less money for a healthy diet---endless factors that go along with poverty.

But personally I have not seen any data from which you could generalize that "poor people have worse lifestyle and health habits than people who are not poor."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies