Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 09:04 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times

Advertisements

So apparently last year (2014) pretty much all the Oscar awards for best film entertainment went to "white" people. This created quite a stir in the politically correct leftist fantasy world of Hollywood. They all crinkled their foreheads and promised to do better next (this) year (2015).

In order to compensate, it now appears that this year the Oscars may be decided in many cases based on skin color and public perception surveys rather than on who the best performers are. In fact, the nominations are shaping up to be predominately "white" again.

What will the priority be here? To award the best actors and actresses based on their skills, their artistic merit and their achievement? Or to kowtow to the leftist values of political correctness? If this article at the LA Times is accurate, it will almost certainly be the latter.

Quote:
Hollywood fears Oscar acting awards will once again be exclusively white

Yet there's a strong chance this year's acting awards will once again be heavily, perhaps exclusively, white, despite the efforts of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to diversify the organization.

Some academy members worry privately that another backlash could damage the institution's reputation, particularly as award shows such as the Emmys and Grammys feature prominent winners of color.

Oscar voters, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the subject's sensitive nature, seem split between going with their instincts and casting a ballot with an eye toward maintaining the group's relevancy.

"I don't see how you can nominate another group that doesn't include any actor of color and think you'll be taken seriously," one actors branch member said.
To be fair, I have not been to a movie in an actual movie theater in years, so I am not a good person to judge who the best actors and actresses are or what the best movies were in 2015. Perhaps this very liberal Hollywood crowd is sincerely discriminating against black actors based on their skin color. Who am I to say?

But if it is somehow the case that nearly all of the very best actors and actresses this year had low levels of melanin in their skin, should they be discriminated against because of that? I certainly do not think so.

Radical idea - Perhaps these awards should be awarded based on merit and not on skin color, either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 09:46 AM

31,045 posts, read 22,077,427 times
I could care less if the Kardasians won all the awards. They're Hollywood Entertainers not mother Theresa or Ghandi.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I could care less if the Kardasians won all the awards. They're Hollywood Entertainers not mother Theresa or Ghandi.
I could be in error, but I do not believe any of the Kardashians are being considered for Oscar nominations this year.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:58 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Isn't there some type of Affirmative Action Quota in Hollywood?

Old 01-03-2016, 09:59 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
I'm chewing my fingernails on this one.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:00 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Hollywood should embrace the suck that is Hollywood.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:06 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Only nominate and vote on Black actors/actresses.
"No Whites allowed" and that should solve their problem.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:07 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
nah, they are certainly and simply too powerful to be afraid of anything.

They just want to be drama queen and make headline news, or help somebody push an agenda. I swear somebody in this country can't wait for a race war. Truly pathetic.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:11 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
So they say repeatedly that we are all the same, but then fret over diversity? If we are all the same, then it would follow that the race of the nominees shouldn't matter at all.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
So they say repeatedly that we are all the same, but then fret over diversity? If we are all the same, then it would follow that the race of the nominees shouldn't matter at all.
Race matters - to racists. Clearly they have an issue with this, one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies