Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 07:15 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times

Advertisements

The Biltmore Square mall has gone down.

Store closings:
FYE, Goody's, Waldenbooks, Hallmark, Sbarro, GameStop, and I'm sure there are others that I am forgetting about.

Game Stop seems to be going the way of 'BatteriesPlus' in the southeast, another Hallmark type/useless store that people casn really buy the merchandise online, or at a big box store.

Dead Malls dot Com: Feature: Biltmore Square: Asheville, North Carolina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 07:31 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,444,161 times
Where I live I have one of the bigger malls in metro Ny it's alright, when I was a lil younger I used to be a mall rat at that time it was still mehh. no more of that though heck I only did it for a year and it got SOOOO boringgggg. but that is what happens when your in a town that's a suburban/city hybrid !

Old 02-27-2013, 07:32 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
I went to the mall a couple days ago. It's one of the biggest malls in the State. I was shocked how deserted it was on a Friday night.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:34 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
So why, pray tell, would he wish for all the people who work in malls to be on food stamps, UE, and Welfare?
Because he is a jackass. Next question.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:12 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Most real estate professionals understand that profound changes are afoot. Don Wood, CEO of Federal Realty Investment Trust, says "there is too much retail supply in this country." The Wall Street Journal reports:
Green Street Advisor, an analysis firm that tracks REITs, has forecast that 10 percent of the roughly 1,000 large malls in the U.S. will fail within the next 10 years and be converted into something with far less retail. That’s a conservative estimate; many mall CEOs predict the attrition rate will be higher.
And Daniel Hurwitz, president and CEO of DDR, observes, "I don’t think we’re overbuilt, I think we’re under-demolished."

A report from Co-Star observes that there are more than 200 malls with over 250,000 square feet that have vacancy rates of 35 percent or higher, a "clear marker for shopping center distress." These malls are becoming ghost towns. They are not viable now and will only get less so as online continues to steal retail sales from brick-and-mortar stores. Continued bankruptcies among historic mall anchors will increase the pressure on these marginal malls, as will store closures from retailers working to optimize their business. Hundreds of malls will soon need to be repurposed or demolished. Strong malls will stay strong for a while, as retailers are willing to pay for traffic and customers from failed malls seek offline alternatives, but even they stand in the path of the shift of retail spending from offline to online.

If you are in a major coastal city it may not be as obvious, yet. In SC on a trip, we saw a few ghost malls. S. Florida also has many in the Broward County area, especially inland, away from tourist/ ocean front shopping.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:17 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Because he is a jackass. Next question.
Why are you such a jackass?

Old 02-28-2013, 12:57 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
I don't think malls will ever go anywhere per se. The malls in Seattle are always PACKED. Thing is, that is SEATTLE

The main issue is this: malls are a stable of the suburbs, and guess what? SUBURBS ARE ON THE ENDANGERED SPECIES LIST

More and more people are NOT living in those awful neighborhoods that look like this:

And more people are living in sensible living environments like this:

So, the whole "let me live fifty miles from my job and just drive half an hour to get a gallon of milk" thing is dying. And with it the mall, which is the central commerce hob of the "bedroom communities" is also dying. But, malls already in urban areas, like North Gate or West Lake in Seattle, will do just fine because they do not depend on the old, tired exurbs for their income.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:56 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Brilliant. YES, I am sure that Obama wants everyone to get fired! That's what he is working toward so that he can win the election and . . . oh wait. He already did that so he doesn't need to promise more 'free things.

So why, pray tell, would he wish for all the people who work in malls to be on food stamps, UE, and Welfare?

I'm sure he has good reasons.
to make a permanent democratic base of UE welfare and food stamp recipients . Who will be told if you vote republican they will lose theri freebies.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:12 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
I like the mall for some things. Clothes mainly, can't stand buying clothes online when I haven't tried them on.

But malls are feeling rather antiquated when it comes to many things. I can simply buy the stuff at Walmart or go shop online.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:17 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
I think more diverse flea markets and open street markets would be cool. It would help families make a little extra cash and maybe allow people ways around all of the government restrictions that keep people from starting businesses.

Could be better for the "economy" as in, better food, better quality products, more unique and diverse merchandise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies