Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 10:48 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Impossible. You can't off-shore an entire city, nor can you load it up with debt, grab the money and liquidate it. And that's pretty much the extent of the Romney playbook.

better than the obama playbook, tax it until there isnt anything left to tax, then blame it on someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 10:52 PM

21,136 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Posted by my54ford:

I agree with you on the politics, but this is one (of few, albeit) success stories:

2550 John R St, Detroit, MI 48201 - Zillow

Old 03-01-2013, 10:54 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
better than the obama playbook, tax it until there isnt anything left to tax, then blame it on someone else.

BECAUSE this Presdient has no leadership qualities at all. Doesn't know a damn thing about anything, blame it on this person that person, the other side, taking no responsibility at all. Use scare tactics, bully unless someone agrees with you, use intimidation, what a freaking putz.

Don't know how we got here my butt.

Then again, that is the Chicago Way is it not. Obama and Chicago, a match made in Heaven!

His supporters must be the most naive people around. Some of us ain't stupid, and we don't buy the crap he is selling.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:04 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Mitt moved to Bloomfield Hills when he was a little tyke... he's hardly a son of blue collar Detroit.

Dennis Archer was great for Detroit, but was practically run out of town by the corrupt Coleman Young supporters who claimed Archer was too "white" and gave too much to the suburbs. So they ended up getting what they wanted with Coleman Yound part 2, aka Kwame Kirkpatrick. Mitt wouldn't have a chance in that city, but as a liberal, even I'd agree, he'd do more for the city than anyone since Archer.

To be honest a corrupt conservative economy is better than a corrupt liberal economy. In both cases the poor get equally screwed as there is less money for social handouts due to tax cuts (conservative) or it being embezzled (liberal). But the middle and upper class tax payers are also hurt in a corrupt liberal economy due to the increased taxes.

The state of Michigan has been under GOP leadership in recent years. I haven't heard of any improvement as a result. But then, I haven't been keeping my finger on the state's pulse, either. Seems that if things were getting better the GOP wouldn't miss an opportunity to point it out, though.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:56 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You're wrong. The GOP just hasn't dumbed down enough to compete with low IQ, zero information, really dumb voters. Really, really dumb voters. You know.....0bama voters.
In my MBA program I was taught to present anything that the public will see at a 5th grade reading and comprehension level, because that is what the public can actually understand.

Pretty sad state we are in...

Old 03-02-2013, 09:16 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
If you knew anything about Japan you would realize that Japan is very liberal compared to American standards.
If you knew anything about me you'd know I spent many years in Japan........
Doesn't mean jack ...Detriot looks like Berlin in 1947

Old 03-02-2013, 10:45 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
No white businessman would even begin to want to deal with the trash in that city. I say let it rot into oblivion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Gilbert_(businessman)

Old 03-02-2013, 11:18 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
If you knew anything about me you'd know I spent many years in Japan........
Doesn't mean jack ...Detriot looks like Berlin in 1947
But Seattle doesn't look like 1945 Berlin. Neither does Portland,OR. San Francisco doesn't look like ruins either. Minneapolis is rately nicely for its quality of life. Boston, a very liberal city, looks quite nice as well.

This isn't about liberal vs conservative. Detroit was a city that built a large portion of its economy on the automobile industry. I don't believe liberalism was the mainly culprit. If it was, Seattle, Minneapolis, Portland, and Boston would all look like Detroit. With Detroit, it was a combination of a town trying to hold on to a single industry, severe racial tensions, drugs, and corruption. It also hasn't helped that education has been suffering in Detroit.

Last edited by green_mariner; 03-02-2013 at 11:42 AM..

Old 03-02-2013, 04:27 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Does Romney wish to be a mayor of Detroit?

Old 03-02-2013, 04:54 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Does Romney wish to be a mayor of Detroit?
I seriously doubt that. Besides, I don't want the likes of Romney running anything. After some of the stuff he has said, no way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies