Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 10:18 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I would be fine with making voting rules to be governed at the federal level.
Get started
Constitutional Amendment Process
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 10:41 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I am not in Congress, nor do I ever want to be.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:44 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am not in Congress, nor do I ever want to be.
You can start with you congressman and senator, then maybe you governor.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:47 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Seems like there have been more abuses against voters in the past year from states like Ohio and PA, not covered by section 5 .
Bull****.... A requirement that you prove who you say you are is not voter infringement.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Now we need to overturn these vote id laws ....
Already been decided by SCOTUS as constitutional. Voter ID is here and it's here to stay.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:03 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Bull****.... A requirement that you prove who you say you are is not voter infringement.
They were addressing an almost non-existent problem with the voter ID's and licenses and yes it did make it more difficult on some law abiding voters, look at FL where they reduced the voting hours so people had to wait on line for hours, was that not overly restrictive?

Old 03-02-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
You can start with you congressman and senator, then maybe you governor.
This sentence makes no sense. I think you are using the word"you" wrong.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They were addressing an almost non-existent problem with the voter ID's......
I keep hearing people say non existent problem yet we continue to also hear new reports like the recent one where that woman was arrested for voting twice and suspected of voting 6 or 7 times.

Pew estimates there is 24 million invalid or significantly inaccurate registrations in the US. Granted those aren't all fraudulent but it should be an eye opener to the issues we have with voting in this country.

Pew: U.S. Voter Registration Inaccurate, Costly, Inefficient

Quote:
More than 1.8 million deceased individuals are listed as voters.
Approximately 2.75 million people have registrations in more than one state.
About 12 million records have incorrect addresses, meaning either the voters moved, or errors in the information make it unlikely any mailings can reach them.
You're going to guarantee to me none of this is related to fraud?

Old 03-02-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I keep hearing people say non existent problem yet we continue to also hear new reports like the recent one where that woman was arrested for voting twice and suspected of voting 6 or 7 times.

Pew estimates there is 24 million invalid or significantly inaccurate registrations in the US. Granted those aren't all fraudulent but it should be an eye opener to the issues we have with voting in this country.

Pew: U.S. Voter Registration Inaccurate, Costly, Inefficient

You're going to guarantee to me none of this is related to fraud?
Almost all of those people you stated in those facts are people who just didn't do their job to follow through with their voter registrations when they moved, that doesn't mean they are all people voting multiple times. Honestly I don't remember if I am still a registered voter in Virginia or Washington, I think I cancelled that when I moved but it wasn't my top priority when moving.

Also when someone dies, the top priority for the family isn't to cancel that person's voter registration.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:29 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
either expand the law to include all states, or throw it out. EQUALITY should be the name of the game!
As for the dreaded "voter ID", it is the law here. In order to be checked off the voter rolls and get a ballot, I have to show a state or Federal issued picture ID. It creates no problems, I have one of each. Anybody can get a state issued picture ID card, even those who don't drive, the elderly, the infirm, and the dirt poor.
My polling place is a little country school about a mile from my house. There is seldom a line, and it usually takes me about 15 minutes to fully complete the process of voting. You city folks can either vote absentee or demand that they create more neighborhood polling places to reduce congestion.
Oh, yeah, and the other "voter restriction" problem; Registration. If YOU can't remember to register to vote by the close of business the Friday before election day, you don't get to vote. YOUR stupid procrastination isn't worth the problems caused by registering on election day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies