Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 08:44 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I gotta say, the idea of people with no job and no income filing tax returns to collect refundable tax credits had not occurred to me.
That actually happens fraudulently but is a different topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 09:14 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Ha. Tell me about it. I did my taxes a few weeks ago...I have no mortgage, no kids, basically nothing but the standard deduction...I looked at my with holding...no exemptions. I get nothing back, and still pay another $200.

It is a problem when folks on welfare, food stamps file taxes and get money back!

Old 03-03-2013, 11:21 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
You actually do pay tax, but not federal income tax. As a percentage of income low income tax payers pay the most tax. Why do you hate the EITC? It is primarily designed for low income households and is supported by both R/D and has strong economic support. Eliminating it would simply effectively raise taxes substantially on the lowest earning Americans. This makes no sense, economically or politically. Most Americans are paying federal income tax, but as more people start collecting S.S. the number of people paying will decrease. Well, depending on how 401K withdrawals end up getting taxed.

RESULTS - Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) - The Power to End Poverty
EITC is a valued supplement for low-income families - The Hill's Congress Blog
The Earned Income Tax Credit
New Research Findings on the Effects of the Earned Income Tax Credit
You're still robbing working taxpayers to redistribute the goodies to others. How could anyone argue that it is fair to do so?
Payroll taxes should be left out of the discussion since we all have the same chance to draw those benefits when we retire. They may be paying a higher percentage of their working income, but it's fair to point out that they are also drawing a higher percentage of their working income than working people when they retire and benefit from their social Security checks.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:24 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,839,638 times
actually, the poor pay very high taxes already.

It is called minimum wage! (tax already deducted)

Old 03-03-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Ha. Tell me about it. I did my taxes a few weeks ago...I have no mortgage, no kids, basically nothing but the standard deduction...I looked at my with holding...no exemptions. I get nothing back, and still pay another $200.

It is a problem when folks on welfare, food stamps file taxes and get money back!
Obamacare is going to make it worse for people like you (and me). We'll be paying for everyone else's benefits with very little to show for ourselves.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
actually, the poor pay very high taxes already.

It is called minimum wage! (tax already deducted)
They are promptly refunded those FIT when they file their returns. They only end up paying SS.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:30 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
That 7 billion is the point. Thats money i would rather seen cut than some of the cuts happening because of the sequester. Not that i am against those cuts either. My whole point to this thread was pointing out just 1 wasteful goverment spending program that needs to go. As you said only 3500 per family. Ok lets look at that in a different way. That is $67 a week for those families to make up by finding some sort of job or doing without. I am sorry if i sound heartless but if this goverment can say hard working americans will lose their jobs because the only cuts they can think of are ones to family supporters just because it will make republicans look bad then i can point out just 1 able body group that gets more than there share as dems like to say, that should sacrifice for the better good of the country.
Really you are against the federal government spending 7billion in a year out of a federal budget that is over 3.5trillion to temporarily help women and children?

Here is a thought exercise if the federal government spent nothing on TANF, what would the federal budget be?

Answer 3.493 trillion. The budget doesn't change much. TANF is absolutely irrelevant to the federal budget

It is a teeny tiny program.

Are you serious? TANF mostly helps children. You are sick in the head.

Cutting TANF has a minuscule impact on the budget, but would devastate the lives if a lot of families

Old 03-04-2013, 12:55 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,839,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
They are promptly refunded those FIT when they file their returns. They only end up paying SS.
What I mean is that they pay their high tax BEFORE they even get their gross salary.

ie: the tax is taken out by the employer, in the form of a low wage.

This is used to pay for the golf courses, cars, girlfriends and homes of the rich.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:09 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Let's start with a simple premise(s):

Let's say that failed government immigration policy (porous borders, illegal immigration, lack of enforcement, etc), costs a burger flipper x dollars in the form of undercut wages and y dollars in the form of inflated rents.

Do you believe government owes said burger flipper NOTHING?
Yes, the government owes burger flipper nothing. Burger flipper and all his peers elected the government that instituted said failed policy. Apparently, that's what burger flipper and all his peers wanted.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:17 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
How much federal income tax liability did you expect non-filers to have?
Tax units don't have to file if their income is below a certain amount. Details in chart A here:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040.pdf

Low-income earners general have little or no federal income tax liability. Those who are not required to file a 1040 do not do so unless they expect to get a refund of any or all federal income tax they paid that year and/or will receive additional money FROM the government in the form of REFUNDABLE tax credits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies