Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 04:32 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
How does it hurt them?
That's what I wanna know.

I get my cell phone service through Wal Mart and if these Walton kids are a bunch of thieving bastards that are somehow hurting the Americans I will shop elsewhere.

But they aint hurtin' no one no how. Liberals just say rthat because they can't get a union in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 04:34 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
That's not necessarily the case in America.

According to Nobel Prize winning economist Joseph Stiglitz:

"For Americans, one key aspect of fairness is opportunity: everyone should have a fair shot at living the American Dream... But the statistics paint a very different picture: in America, the chances of someone’s making it to the top, or even to the middle, from a place near the bottom are lower than in the countries of old Europe or in any other advanced industrial country."

From The Price of Inequality: Joseph Stiglitz on the 1 Percent Problem | Vanity Fair
I got to step out for a few hours. I bookmarked this link. I'll take a look at it tonight. I like Vanity Fair. Good articles.

Thanks.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:37 PM

621 posts, read 658,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So you want to take the wealth of the Waltons and give it to the poor and uneducated because they have no chance of "making it" ?

Just what do you plan to do with all that money you take from the Waltons ?
Give it back to them in increased consumption.

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
We have the highest income mobility in the world.
That hasn't been the case for a while now. There are some things that the USA can say that they are number 1 in, but mobility isn't one of the.

Social mobility and inequality: Upper bound | The Economist

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So you want to take the wealth of the Waltons and give it to the poor and uneducated because they have no chance of "making it" ?

Just what do you plan to do with all that money you take from the Waltons ?
This is the common fallacy used by those unconcerned with wealth inequality

This morale choice is not the choice we should have to make, nor need to make, to ensure upward mobility.

Wealthy inequality is becoming entrenched not because of a few innovation producing pioneers like Walton, Zuckerburg, Gates, etc.

It becomes entrenched when the ladders used by these people are raised after them.

I like the idea of people being able to make Whatever they can make thanks to their innovation and spirit. What we are very in danger of is a small amount of people (1-2%) holding enough money to lock in the political system, and to ensure that their wealth owns and stays.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:38 PM

795 posts, read 1,268,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What exactly, besides envy, is the problem with wealth inequality?
Especially in a country in which being "poor" gives you a near 100% chance of having a fridge, car, and microwave?
Microwave is nice... but useless when you don't have anything to put in it. Well, unless you boil water.

Fridge... well... looks good, but useless if no food in it.

Car... works well, if you can afford gas, tires, breaks, etc.

I wish you could be around poor people. Lady I grew up with was talking about how she does not feed her kids vegetables every night because she can't afford them. She was not asking me for anything, but making a comment about a recipe Actually, I'm not even sure she meant to tell me that, but it came out.

I can't fathom that... I never had that problem. I'd bet you are like me... except you lack the understanding that some people are not like you.

We have it good (with a comment like yours, I'd bet you have it at least good as I do. lol).

Some people are hurting. And their kids hurt. It is the reason why we have breakfast programs for school kids. Maybe you think that is a waste of money as well.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:40 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
We have the highest income mobility in the world.
God, this is sad.

Why would you say such a thing, there is NO evidence to back you up. Every research from here to 10buck 2 shows we have been behind on mobility for a VERY long time.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:42 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Liberals are entirely stupid... what is income inequality? Do you want everyone to earn the same income? Should the person who risked everything earn the same income as his/her employees? Then you point to the rich getting richer... that is what happens when you have excess money that is invested and earning interest... are you clueless? or just stupid and envious?
If there is so much "income inequality" that means that a lot of people better get up off their arse and work! That is the only reason for "income inequality!"

We have plenty of opportunity in America in spite of Obama, at least for the time being. Who knows what he's going to do to us in the future.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:46 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
From The Price of Inequality: Joseph Stiglitz on the 1 Percent Problem | Vanity Fair

So, the advice I’d give to the 1 percent today is: Harden your hearts. When invited to consider proposals to reduce inequality.
That's the federal government's advice, too.

As I've already shown, under our current highly progressive income tax structure, it's in the government's best interest to encourage and promote as much of an income gap as possible. The government has a HUGE incentive to keep the top 1%'s share of income as high as possible as they're the federal income tax revenue cash cows. They pay the highest tax rates AND the highest tax dollar revenues.

As the government's cash cows, you're darn right they're the favored group. Tax revenue shrinks without them and their income.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:48 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
I never heard a liberal address why it's a problem.

Just because some say it's a problem doesn't make it so.
That cannot be answered in a few sentences. Just one is that in this country financial wealth also translates into political power. Nearly every members of Congress is in the top 1%: how likely are they to understand the plight of middle-class and implement policies to assist them?

The following two articles by Nobel prize willing economist Joseph Stiglitz provide some insight into why wealth inequality is a problem for America:

Of the 1%, by the 1%, for the 1% | Vanity Fair
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies