Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 10:46 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I wish it would; I'm sick to death of California and its problems...we'll do fine without it. Then we could regulate the flow of Californians moving to Texas.
Thus doing what exactly? Causing your home prices to go up by bringing money into Texas? This is exactly what I am talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 11:01 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
Are you saying California doesn't have the fortitude to secede? I'll give you a chance to edit your post to add something intelligent to the conversation
Hmmm. Satire isn't intelligent. Check. Glad to be schooled.

If Cali intends to secede, I sincerely hope it doesn't let the door hit it on its way out. However, it would seem that this is ALL empty rhetoric with the intent of having the rest of the nation say "Oh! California! PLEASE DON'T GO!" I'd be fine with Cali taking a hike. It's a nice place and everything, but the superiority complex shown by some Californians is giving me a headache. I think the West Coast is beautiful, and love Northern California, Oregon, and WA. Southern California isn't my cup of tea, but that's fine.

I just get tired of Californians acting like EVERYONE wants to live in California and that they don't need us and yada yada yada. Want to secede? Cool. Hope those veggies don't rot, and hope your water doesn't run out, and I hope you never realize that the strength of our nation involves the sort of interdependence in which every state and region brings something to the table. Illinois, like CA, is a donor state. We have an economy that, while smaller than CA's (550bn vs 1.5tn) also exists within a smaller population (12mn vs 33mn). Could we exist independently? Sure. But why would we?

You speak of intelligence, sir. Well, intelligence has no place cavorting with hubris and ingratitude, so I hope the latter will leave you sooner rather than later. If that can't be arranged? I'll gladly vote to allow secession for California, for Texas, and for the Conch Republic, for that matter.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:21 AM

788 posts, read 2,110,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkman View Post
PLEASE SECEDE FROM THE U.S.!!!!!! TAKE ARIZONA, NEW MEXICO, WITH YOU! POSSIBLY TEXAS TOO! OK, so maybe split Texas up. GIVE THEM TO MEXICO! Wait. We already did that.
No, Arizona does not want to be part of CA or Mexico, and most definitely not TX. Thanks, but no thanks.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
good points.. but where would you be without the northwest states supplying you electricity.. and the inter-mountian rivers supplying water... you wouldn't get too far without the rest of us....
CA gets power from AZ too. Just goes to show exactly how dependent on surrounding states CA is. CA would have to start building nuclear power plants and/or massive wave energy plants, which would probably anger the environmentalists and/or frequent surfers.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I'M RUNNING AWAY! Seriously. I'm going. I CAN'T LIVE IN THIS HOUSE ANYMORE! Seiously! I'm GOING!!!!

-silence-

I'LL DO IT!

-silence-

SERIOUSLY!

-silence-

Mom? Dad? Didn't you hear me say I'm going to run away?
Lol. Good one

Old 10-26-2007, 12:33 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,948 times
Quote:
The simple answer would be import it, until we could innovate something.
It would be worth it in the long run, we could also import electricity from Mexico.
import water huh?
wanna pay 90 dollars per barrel on water too?

Old 10-26-2007, 12:58 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
H

I'll gladly vote to allow secession for California, for Texas, and for the Conch Republic, for that matter.
Sign away..

A Petition for California's Secession from the Federal Government Petition

Old 10-26-2007, 01:24 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Quote:
Thus doing what exactly? Causing your home prices to go up by bringing money into Texas? This is exactly what I am talking about.
That isn't all they do. They bring their California ways with them and either try to force us to change, or ****** incessantly about how much it "sucks" here and how great California is.

Hell, if it sucks that much here...I'll chip in for the plane fare back to Fornicalia if they just quit whining.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:23 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times
Default California Secede?

No way can you guys desert us with all of these right wing nuts ruining the rest of the country!!
We certainly don't need any imput from Texas for a long long time after the
fiasco our country has been through with those folks!
What we need desperately right now for our country is someone who can LEAD. Of course there will always be cultural and political differences in this diverse land but if we could get our federal government to quit acting like a corporation and more like a government we might have a chance.
Remember our founding fathers...Government is "OF THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE AND FOR THE PEOPLE".
I was watching a movie recently about the life of George Washington and his dealings with the Congress. We think things are bad these days with the republicans vs the democrats. I was surprised to learn in those days nothing ever worked either between the Jeffersonians and the Federalists. That may give us some hope during the upcoming election year when we hear all of the
attack ads.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:32 PM

20,323 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Who would have thought the day would come that progressives would be the champions of stronger states rights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies