Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 11:37 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
When something is quoted from Huff-Po, which supports a conservative position, it is blatantly obvious to everyone. Everyone, apparently, but you.

Huff-Po would argue that the sky is in fact orange if a conservative offered that it was blue. Therefore, a deviation from thier far left propaganda is interesting indeed.
You are quoting something about one month. The debt has been declining in recent years, because people have been afraid to spend, and have paid down debt instead, but also because of defaults. This goes hand in hand with the fact that savings rates are up.
  • Household debt as a % disposable income rose from 68% in 1980 to a peak of 128% in 2007, prior to dropping to 112% by 2011.
  • Household debt as a % GDP rose from 49% in 1980 to a peak of 97% in 2009, prior to dropping to 86% in 2011.
  • U.S. household debt rose from nearly zero in the 1950s to $13.8 trillion in 2008, before declining to $12.9 trillion by Q2 2012.
Credit cards

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 11:42 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
Saw this fluff propaganda piece tonight on ABC World News with Diane Sawyer and was surprised that even in the in the midst of their "Pravada" level journalistic piece they admitted that there are LESS jobs today than 2007!
You're both late to the party. I've been saying that for years now, and posting evidence to prove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
I'm skeptical of their 12 million number too. That's probably the amount of people actually collecting checks.
They may have gotten that from a post that I made.

You're about 12.9 Million jobs short.

I've discussed this repeatedly, because it negatively impacts certain Ponzi-style Social Welfare programs, like Medicare and Social Security. Such programs are funded on a basic formula:

# of Workers * Hourly Wages * Payroll Tax Rate = Revenues for Social Security/Medicare

Increasing one or more of those three variables increases the amount of Revenues for Social Security/Medicare (in theory).

As I have said repeatedly, your wages have been flat/declining since 1995. There is nothing government can do to alter that reality, and any attempt by government to alter reality violates the Laws of Economics which will result in fewer Workers and lower Revenues.

You're short workers. As I said on another thread....

"...if you want to keep the FICA tax rate at 6.2%, then you need to take a squat and **** 13.7 Million jobs within the next 30 seconds."

I'm wrong....I made an error....a mistake....I'll fix that mistake now...

"...even if you remove the FICA payroll cap and raise the retirement age to 70, to keep the FICA tax rate at 6.2%, then you need to take a squat and **** 13.7 Million jobs within the next 30 seconds."

There....that's better....I like accuracy.

Too bad. The CBO said you'd get 12 Million jobs in the next 4 years, but that isn't good enough, and it wasn't going to happen.

After I corrected and admonished the CBO for their stupidity, they said 9 Million jobs in the next 4 years...which is not enough....and not going to happen either.

After I corrected the CBO again, now they say they "don't know/not sure."

Which is why I harp on Austerityâ„¢.

You can do it now, while you still have some say in the matter, or you can wait and have it crammed down your throat, but you're going to do it, one way or another, whether you like it or not, and whether you want it or not, and whether you agree with it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Liberals on this site have been posting chart after graph after report about this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
What's scary is your inability to critically think about a news story.
No, what's scary is ...

116,214,000 Full-Time Employment August 2012
113,868,000 Full-Time Employment January 2013
------------

2,346,000 Full-Time Jobs lost is positive job growth according to Obamabots.

And every one of the disingenuous charts and graphs was debunked/refuted/shown to be propaganda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Obviously there being less jobs now as compared to 2007 is entirely Barack Obama's fault. I mean who else would be to blame?
I don't have a TV, so perhaps I misunderstood: You're saying Obama became president this year?

Then who was president from 2009 through 2012?

Granted, your ability to grow with respect to GDP and jobs is hampered by your inability to compete in the global economy, but....

...whatever potential growth in GDP or jobs you might have had was crushed by Obama's idiotic policies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
It's not like Bush caused an enormous recession in 2008 from which we are still trying to recover from... oh wait
Actually, Bush unwittingly staved off a major recession that would have started sooner and lasted longer, but never mind reality.

Economically...

Mircea

Quote:
ah................... percentages and ratios- the refuge of those who lack credible absolute facts. It is amusing indeed when libs resort to "percentage increases"

If I was drowning in ten feet of water, and the water level increased one foot, that would be a 10% increase.

If I was hit by one rain drop, then two, that would be a 100% increase. I would be alive and well, and not even wet.

In liberal "logic" land, the first scenario would be better, despite being dead!
What a great explanation of how worthless percentage increases really are, especially comparisons to GDP.

Commending...

Mircea

Old 03-06-2013, 02:57 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You are quoting something about one month. The debt has been declining in recent years, because people have been afraid to spend, and have paid down debt instead, but also because of defaults. This goes hand in hand with the fact that savings rates are up.
  • Household debt as a % disposable income rose from 68% in 1980 to a peak of 128% in 2007, prior to dropping to 112% by 2011.
  • Household debt as a % GDP rose from 49% in 1980 to a peak of 97% in 2009, prior to dropping to 86% in 2011.
  • U.S. household debt rose from nearly zero in the 1950s to $13.8 trillion in 2008, before declining to $12.9 trillion by Q2 2012.
Credit cards

Ah........... that is the good liberal- half truths and lies.

Did you consider that perhaps, when calculating TOTAL PERSONAL DEBT, there is more than just credit card debt?

http://www.money-zine.com/Financial-...bt-Statistics/

I sincerely believe that liberals believe the half truths presented to them, thus thier political positions which defy common sense. Even simple issues, like personal consumer debt, is so confusing to a liberal that they actually believe personal debt is declining!

I guess if I could swallow that whopper, I might have voted for Obama as well. However, I usually have an immediate "Ipecac" response when attempting to digest Obama's lies, thus my inability to be affected by such blatantly false propaganda.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:

Did you consider that perhaps, when calculating TOTAL PERSONAL DEBT, there is more than just credit card debt?
Just do the "happy dance" and praise Obama OK ?
Get with the program.

Ignorance is bliss and they want everyone ignorant so we won't see what's coming.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:38 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,247,406 times
In 1993 gas was 90 cents a gallon. Now we ship all our money over seas so Obama can push his hybrid car agenda.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:42 PM

229 posts, read 293,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
In 1993 gas was 90 cents a gallon. Now we ship all our money over seas so Obama can push his hybrid car agenda.
sure it's all government's fault... it's not like gas is a limited resource in a rapidly growing world population.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:52 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
You are the liberal on this issue, and many other issues we have discussed before.

Quote:
Yes, that's why I gave you the numbers on total debt. Only one graph was about CC's but the other numbers were about the totals.

http://www.research.stlouisfed.org/f.../CMDEBT?cid=97

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 03-06-2013 at 04:03 PM..

Old 03-06-2013, 05:03 PM

27,131 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Do we have an shovels in storage to put these people to work?

Surely by now there are some jobs shovel ready........no?

Old 03-06-2013, 05:07 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yet another "jobless" recovery ?

How many of them can we have ?
I believe we are coming up on the fourth recovery summer since the stimulus. I guess one of these times it will take hold. Well maybe when Obama gets out of office. Of course who knows if he plans on stepping down.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:18 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's why we have expanded social welfare programs isn't it ?
I think that when people lose their jobs, and fall into poverty, that 0bama thinks it's not an issue he should worry about, because they can go on Welfare, collect Food Stamps and unemployment compensation. This is why we never hear 0bama bemoaning the fifty year level of poverty, because they can go on Food Stamps.

It's like that scene from A Christmas Carol:

'At this festive season of the year, Mr Scrooge,' said the gentleman, taking up a pen, 'it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir.'

'Are there no prisons?"

'Plenty of prisons,' said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

'And the Union workhouses.' demanded Scrooge. 'Are they still in operation?'

'Both very busy, sir.'

'Oh. I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course,' said Scrooge. 'I'm very glad to hear it.'

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies