Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 02:09 PM

37,973 posts, read 22,157,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Man View Post
When ever someone talks about immigration reform there is sure to be a poster that says we have no rights to keep any human beings out of the country because even though we were born here we are not native American. In other words only American Indians are native Americans and everyone else has no rights to set border standards.

But are American Indians really Native Americans? Are the American Indians living here today actually the true Americans? Maybe many generations ago their relative came to America and took over the land of another group of so called Native Americans lived in and killed them off. At that time they were the invaders> Something to think about?

What do you think?
Some tribe of humans were the first to set foot in North America. Who they were, no one knows. I'm sure multiple groups of humans arrived from the southeast, the northeast, northwest and southwest. Once they met for the first time, it's possible that whatever diseases each group carried within their tribes caused deaths to occur on all sides. They probably killed each other too, especially the ones coming up from Central America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 02:22 PM

510 posts, read 889,234 times
Most credible evidence tends to show migrations of all humans out of a part of Africa. Some went North, some South, some East and some to the West. Some of those in the East kept going and it is debatable if they were the first settlers of North America. So, I guess no...not really native.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:22 PM

31,068 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
We are all natives of the planet Earth. The rest is geopolitical semantics. The American land mass was once attached to the Eurasian land mass where the Bering Strait is now, forming one continent, so yes, Europeans are descended from American natives and vice versa.
In the pre-Columbian era there were numerous instances of tribes being displaced by invaders. When the Spanish arrived they were aided and abetted by natives who no doubt felt their land had been stolen by the Aztecs and Incas.
A full-blooded Navajo is no more native American than anyone else born here.
Native = place of birth
True! Considering, we all share the same ancient grand parents out of Africa I think I can safely say that we Africans conquered the entire world.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:26 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
British people are divided into pre-Celtic cultures (about which very little is known except some place names), the celtic invasion, the Anglo Saxon invasion, the Norman Conquest, Modern Britain beginning after 1485, and the recent multi-cultural immigration.
You forgot the very important and long lasting Roman period which was also a multi-cultural period as well.

Quote:
Hawaii was one of the last major places on earth to get settled by humanity. The original inhabitants are mostly known by legend and are called the Menehune or little people. They came 1200-1700 years ago. Then roughly 700-800 years ago was a Tahitian invasion which wiped out the earlier settlers.
There was indeed a united Hawaiian kingdom but it didn't happen until the 1790's largely because of the late period in which Hawaii was settled. Also the proximate source for the original settlers to Hawaii was the Societies and Marquesas Islands of central polynesia who ultimately came from Taiwan (via Malaysia and the Philippines) not Tahiti.

Quote:
The Tahitians lost the ability to sail to Hawaii, separating their two cultures.
Tahitians never sailed directly to Hawaii but people of the Societies Islands and Marquesas Islands did and continued to trade with Hawaii right into the historic period though the small size of ocean going outrigger canoes limited such trade to luxury items and bulk cargo trade didn't come about until large European sailing ships arrived in the 19th century.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:12 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Hold on, before Europeans came to the Americas, the stone age people living here at the time, were doing EXACTLY what you suggest Europeans did when they got here. They were killing each other as fast as they could. All accross the Americas they built cultures around the idea of war.

Counting Coop, skalping, etc in North America, Human Sacrifice in what is now Mexico and into South America.

What happened after Europeans got here was no worse ( and in more than a few cases far better) than what was going on here before them.

This is such a silly argument. What happened in the Americas was simply an extension of the whole history of mankind.
All true and thanks for referring to the colonizers as the Europeans rather than "whites". As I said, those b*tching the loudest about white people are those who are partially white themselves from their Spanish ancestors from Europe. Go figure.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:52 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea...I get it. The Indians got here the day before Columbus did. I understand.
Okay, smart ass. Can you tell us how and when they arrived?

Old 03-08-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
LMAO....I swear, I was thinking the same thing.

Don't know why I waste my time.
Well, I see you are still here. And you haven't offered anything at all to support your belief that (apparentely) the "American Indians" were here all along. Even though people smarter than you say othewise. Or, are you going to claim that you know better? What are your qualifications? Do you have a degree? In what? Basket weaving?

Old 03-08-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Seriously? You're gonna play the "full blooded Cherokee" card in 2013?

And no one said anything about feeling sorry for themselves.
My wife has Cherokee blood as well. Stick it!

Old 03-08-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Well, lemme ask this....

Is there anything in history that we should feel bad about?
No, not really.

Slavery existed before our founding, and it still exists today. America abolished slavery. What is there for us to be ashamed of?

No country in the history of man has done more than America to advance personal liberty, and raise more people out of poverty. None.

In America, the "individual" charts his course, and he alone is responsible for his success or failure.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 03-08-2013 at 05:23 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
During my lifetime, the second Iraq war. My grandfather could feel bad about the Japanese internment I suppose. My dad about segragation, Vietnam, some other stuff. But I have German ancestors also, doesn't mean I feel bad about the Holocaust.

I grew up in a Christian household, I don't feel responsible for the crusades.
The crusades were a response to Mulim conquests. The Muslim aggressors were threatening all of Christendom, and invading the European contries. It was a necessary response to the hordes of Muslim invaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies