Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select the single biggest reason why you support the Republican Party
They promote a system based more on free-market principles as opposed to government intrusion 2 5.13%
They are more likely to protect and promote family and/or religious values that I share 6 15.38%
I believe in self-sufficiency and smaller government, and not in a welfare-type state 28 71.79%
I trust the party to protect our country from those who intend to do it harm both at home and abroad 0 0%
Lower taxes is better for the economy and personal economic freedom 1 2.56%
I belive they are more in tune with lifestyle and values of the average citizen and will accordingly 2 5.13%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 03:29 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,480,646 times

Advertisements

I have not supported Republicans in a long time (not since 1996). I supported them then because unlike the Democrats they were not anti-Americans actively seeking to destroy the nation. Now, today, I am not so sure they are any different from the anti-American liberal freak Democrats. The Republican Party today has become the Democratic Party of the 1960s, while the Democratic Party has become al Qaeda's greatest ally and America's worst enemy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 03:39 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,229,271 times
I support the Republican party for a myriad of reasons. I still won't vote for the GOP in its current reincarnation, mostly based on their stances on social policy, which I often find somewhere between utterly outdated to being scarily outrageous and out-of-touch with reality.

I didn't find any of your options to be reflective of my assessment of the GOP and thus, I abstained from voting in your poll. I suppose, if pressed, I could have chosen the self-sufficiency/welfare state option.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:42 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,909,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I understand this may not be a cut and dry answer but what is the strongest reason why one would support the Republican party?
I tend more toward the Republicans because they give my generation the most hope for a fiscally sound future. The short-sightedness of the Democrat's fiscal policies is absolute suicide. I admit that in the past, the GOP has been as guilty as the Democrats. Now it seems the GOP has turned the corner in the spending department.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:42 PM

7,493 posts, read 6,279,236 times
I believe in self-sufficiency and smaller government, and not in a welfare-type state

Old 03-07-2013, 03:46 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,525,237 times
The six choices in the poll are fantasy. None of them hold true today. Democrats and Republicans are two sides of the same coin. I won't vote for a candidate from either party.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:52 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,710,540 times
They are the lesser of two evils, against the Constitution, but it has gotten to the point, both parties are against the Constitution, in their own ways.

The Progressive Republicans are slower at it.

Then you have a Constitutionalist party, within a party, that is slowly taking over the majority, in the Republican party. Who showed the leadership yesterday, all day.

Live & let live and leave me the hell alone.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:56 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,602,169 times
Interesting, so far the driver seems to be overspending by the Democrats. I will admit that the funding required by some of Obama's plans do concern me. But historically, spending and debt loads have increased under both Bushes and Reagan. Do Republicans really deserve the reputation of doing a better job in keeping the books in order?

Old 03-07-2013, 04:36 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,360,178 times
Which would you prefer? big business or big government having more power?

Big government may make things fairer, but there will be vastly more bureaucracy and cash-wasting. My city judges property values arbitrarily. Every year an architect I know goes down to City hall, and says "My property taxes are too high. Here's why." They lower them every year.

Big business is much more efficient than government bureaucrats...but it's also greedier. The government will mess up everything it touches, but its under greater control by the people so it's fairer.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both sides.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:41 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,021,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I understand this may not be a cut and dry answer but what is the strongest reason why one would support the Republican party?

You forgot to put choices concerning hatred of gays, blacks, muslims, illegals and any other minorities.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:42 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,590,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I believe in self-sufficiency and smaller government, and not in a welfare-type state
Then you shouldn't support republicans since they don't believe in either and they do support a welfare state. Just look at the Bush and Reagan years and tell me what happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies