Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 07:40 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
What was the average wage and cost of living in that same time frame compared to now?
Look it up.
Also look up the tables that are telling you how wages have been stagnant for over 30 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I just got off work. Smoked a bowl. And have some money in my pocket for the weekend.

Your old.

Have a good weekend.
That would be you're.

BTW, last weekend I drove to Czech, this past weekend I drove to France.
Next weekend, I'm driving to Austria.
Enjoy your bowl; I'll enjoy my life.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:41 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So true. And college students are lining up to take those unpaid internships.
We're shooting ourselves in the foot by succumbing to lowered expectations.
In some of these high-competition internships, like say a job in television in NYC, this process really is just filtering out all the middle class and working class people. This is probably why many media outlets are so clueless, they're all staffed with rich kids.

However, for jobs that actually require high-skills, workers generally don't accept unpaid internships. I know I was offered one and I laughed in their face. I was insulted.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:58 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
From a purely self-interested perspective, sure, that'd work fine for me. Eliminate SS/Medicare, and just write a check from the treasury that refunds a lifetime of everyone's FICA taxes. Add that cost to the deficit.

But realistically that will never happen. The reason it won't is because of elderly healthcare. An average retiree would receive a check for $80,000 in lieu of Medicare, and $350k in lieu of social security.

The $350k for social security would maybe be adequate for retirement, I don't know. The problem is with the $80k in healthcare. $80k doesn't go very far in today's hospitals, and you'd see seniors immediately burn through their Medicare contributions, and their social security nugget would be used to provide healthcare.

Then you really WOULD see old folks eating alpo and dying on the street.
So what's the answer?

I find it ironic, that the thread about starting out hard has circled its way around to the fact that it's also hard and expensive to die these days.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:02 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
From a purely self-interested perspective, sure, that'd work fine for me. Eliminate SS/Medicare, and just write a check from the treasury that refunds a lifetime of everyone's FICA taxes. Add that cost to the deficit.

But realistically that will never happen. The reason it won't is because of elderly healthcare. An average retiree would receive a check for $80,000 in lieu of Medicare, and $350k in lieu of social security.

The $350k for social security would maybe be adequate for retirement, I don't know. The problem is with the $80k in healthcare. $80k doesn't go very far in today's hospitals, and you'd see seniors immediately burn through their Medicare contributions, and their social security nugget would be used to provide healthcare.

Then you really WOULD see old folks eating alpo and dying on the street.

It's too bad we can't get some smart people in D.C. that would reform our medical system.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:08 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's too bad we can't get some smart people in D.C. that would reform our medical system.
I agree with this statement completely. It's what we needed all along. Not the so-called reform we are going to get shoved at us now. Which is nothing but forced insurance which is already making costs rise and services go down... Don't even get me started on that one. I just got a taste of it with my parents already.. and ya'll think SS is a mess now... Wait till this one jumps on us all fast and furious....

Old 03-18-2013, 08:09 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This is the government you wanted. Now adjust and adapt.
You can't expect government to take care of you and not have to pay for it, do you ?
I don't think that Generation Y was voting these jokers into office during the previous 40 years, which is about how long these problems have been accumulating. The damage was done long ago. I'm not sure how the government is "taking care" of any young twenty-something or anyone who isn't getting ready for retirement who isn't so poor they're making $10,000 a year or less.

The Obamacare plan is really the only significant benefit that is for people who aren't the very poorest of the non-working poor. Other than Medicare, which is a major sop to senior citizens, and Social Security, which theoretically should be able to support itself - and still does - but won't be able to much longer as baby boomers draw on it after underfunding it for the past 30 years. Most of the tax benefits, etc., are designed for people of higher income than most 22 year olds, so to say "This is the government you wanted. Now adjust and adapt. You can't expect government to take care of you and not have to pay for it, do you?" is highly incorrect.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:10 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
In some of these high-competition internships, like say a job in television in NYC, this process really is just filtering out all the middle class and working class people. This is probably why many media outlets are so clueless, they're all staffed with rich kids.

However, for jobs that actually require high-skills, workers generally don't accept unpaid internships. I know I was offered one and I laughed in their face. I was insulted.
Unpaid internships aren't all that uncommon. In demand fields usually pay interns better than salary employees though. A person majoring in marketing would probably need to take an unpaid internship, but an accounting intern would not.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:11 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:

Didn't used to be that way. Companies came to college campuses and recruited for internships.
All paid. It was a pretty big deal and to land an internship for a semester or two was like getting your foot in the door.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:12 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
That's what I've had to do. It's tough trying to balance all of the different schedules and be efficient at multiple jobs, but it can be done. We used to call it "shoveling the sh*t" in sales school ha ha.

I guess I can understand the Boomers who are trying to tell our generation to try harder, be more innovative, etc, but sometimes I believe it just comes off as so condescending. I don't believe our generation is "better" than the Boomers. We just come from a different time. We have a different perspective.

The thing that I wish the older generation would do though is rally behind those in our generation who are saying that the system is broken. It is broken. What we need is real insight into how we increase wages or lower the cost of living. We can't keep going on according to our current trend. Nobody is doing anything of substance to steer us in a different direction.
Figure it out like every generation has had to do.
Do you think we have answers?
Really, you wouldn't listen anyway.

If we could fix it, don't you think we would?
Then take your special perspective and fix your problems.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:13 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
So what's the answer?
In my opinion? Eliminate FICA. Run a deficit to pay for Social Security. Run a deficit to pay for Medicare. Expand Medicare to cover the entire population, not just the elderly. The U.S. public sector is too small to create dangerous inflation at the rate we're going; anyone who thinks deficits matter has not looked at the amount of debt in the private sector lately.

It's a bit of a paradox caused by the inherent ineptness of politicians -- as long as politicians continue to believe the deficit matters, then they will be hesitant to spend and run deficits, and the deficit won't matter.

But as soon as they understand the reality of the moment -- that the deficit can grow without consequences -- then they'll abuse that power and that'll no longer remain true. The deficit really CAN go out of control, but we aren't anywhere close to that point yet.

Quote:
I find it ironic, that the thread about starting out hard has circled its way around to the fact that it's also hard and expensive to die these days.
I simplify it like this:

There are rich boomers, who own the vast majority of the country's wealth.

Then there are the majority of boomers, who desperately need social security/Medicare, but (A) cannot afford to pay for it themselves (B) are ideologically opposed to taking from other rich boomers.

However, these folks are, for some reason, not ideologically opposed to taking from the working-class and middle-class members of younger generations. They seem to idolize their fellow "rich boomers", and loathe their children's cohorts who are struggling just to pay rent every month.

In short, they'd rather screw over the young than tax the rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies