Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 08:55 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

I went to college... took longer because I worked my way through and I didn't take a dime of Student Loan money... when it got to crunch time, I sold the car I had restored in High School to finish...

Tonight news talked about the Student Loan Bubble... In the 90's everyone was saying they had to make student loans available to all and cut the red tape...
Sound like a smart and responsible young guy. Remember, Subsidize -> Bubble -> Crash. You chose to work and pay while you went to school and good for you, you will benefit from that decision.

Just like you will live with your decision (a good one) they will have to live with their decision. I can not say they made a totally bad choice, unfortunately they live in the time where politicians believe in subsidizing people making it harder for everyone. At least they tried and chose not to live off other peoples labor but remember you can't fight everyones battles.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:05 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
If business does not justify buying equipment and real estate then it does not make sense to buy them for a tax deduction. I do have employees, service company. Hey but thanks, I am open to all suggestions because I am getting slammed. I've been to 3 different CPA's and each say the same thing. Traveling to trade shows is one business expense though.
That is fair. I guess I was just raised in the old school wealth = land(real estate) = wealth school, by my parents and grandparents. As such it can be hard to get out of that box since that was the business model I was raised with.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:08 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,662,952 times
Mark Zuckerberg is Gen Y, right?

He dropped out of college and is worth more than anyone on this board.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:47 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post

He was not the only one... Steve Jobs did the same.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:49 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,259,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post

Mr. Zuckerberg is 1 in 40 million though. He lucked out. He happened to have the right idea at the right place at the right time. That is really what it comes down to.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:32 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,231,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Mr. Zuckerberg is 1 in 40 million though. He lucked out. He happened to have the right idea at the right place at the right time. That is really what it comes down to.
It's okay. After all there have been instances of people trying to patent the same thing at the same time.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:33 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,662,952 times
Quote:
How is that "luck?"

Seriously, please explain why Mark Zuckerberg "lucked out."

Anyway, the OP was basically saying that there is no hope for those of his or her "generation." It has been proven that someone of his or her "generation" has made it.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:34 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Neither lucked out. They had an idea and ran with it.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:44 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You're all over the board. Did you vote for either Bush or Obama, and did you vote for whatever shill is warming a chair in Congress?
I take it you'd like me to answer this so you can substitute their arguments for mine.

Quote:
I rail against entitlement spending constantly
I have yet to see someone over 50 suggest we cut Medicare for people their age, and older.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:48 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
How does anyone do it? Some examples.

1) Start a business. For example on Ebay. If you make a profit, they will take most of your money away in fees to the point it's not even worth the time put into listing and shipping. Or take out a loan and open up a place, and fail because nobody can afford your service in this economy.

2) Go to college. Only everyone goes to college so you are likely not to get a job for it, and you're left in servitude paying off your student loan debt. There are plenty of people still paying off their loans from the 1980s.

3) If you're lucky enough to find a job, most of them pay barely over minimum wage. Perhaps enough to share an apartment with a friend or partner, but by no means enough to start a family. The work is also more often than not very mundane and stressful, usually retail or cold calling.

I don't think this is justified in a country with so many resources. There needs to be a structural change. I'm 23 years old and I feel like my generation born in the 1980s/1990s has little hope of being more than debt serfs.

You think yours is the only generation that has it tough? really? You expect a gubmit to give you anything? I'm considered liberal and even I don't expect a frigging thing from Uncle Sam. Put on your big boy pants and grow up.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies