Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 08:58 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
If I contract you to build something for me and you take the idea and run with it while telling me your are building it and then once you are finished you tell me that you cannot build it have you committed theft? The answer is yes and the courts saw it that way too.
And if zuckerburg actually did this, then why did they settle instead of going after all of Facebook? If there was no consideration at the time of a conversation, then it is not a binding verbal contract.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:07 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Look it up.
Also look up the tables that are telling you how wages have been stagnant for over 30 years.

That would be you're.

BTW, last weekend I drove to Czech, this past weekend I drove to France.
Next weekend, I'm driving to Austria.
Enjoy your bowl; I'll enjoy my life.

I'm glad its a competition to ya. Lol.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:11 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Figure it out like every generation has had to do.
Do you think we have answers?
Really, you wouldn't listen anyway.

If we could fix it, don't you think we would?
Then take your special perspective and fix your problems.
No, you wouldn't fix it. That much has been clear for 30+ years.

People want stuff they didn't pay for - social security, medicare, roads, wars, the list is endless. Now we find ourselves having to figure out how to pay for the excesses and irresponsibility of the past and how to figure our way out of the economic disaster we've inherited. And what's the attitude offered up by those who broke the economy and ravaged the nation in the first place? "***k you guys! We got ours! Figure it out!"

I remember being a kid and hearing about how the idea of America was that each generation worked hard to make sure their kids had a better life than they had. But it turns out that was a complete lie. While people were saying that, they were running up massive debt, shipping jobs oversees, and giving themselves benefits they didn't pay for.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:13 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
And if zuckerburg actually did this, then why did they settle instead of going after all of Facebook? If there was no consideration at the time of a conversation, then it is not a binding verbal contract.
I'm not sure. Maybe they would not be entitled to the entire Facebook co. The lawsuit wasn't frivolous though, at least the court didn't think so. I'm just glad Zuckerburg doesn't manage the financials. We don't need another Enron.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:17 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
No, you wouldn't fix it. That much has been clear for 30+ years.

People want stuff they didn't pay for - social security, medicare, roads, wars, the list is endless. Now we find ourselves having to figure out how to pay for the excesses and irresponsibility of the past and how to figure our way out of the economic disaster we've inherited. And what's the attitude offered up by those who broke the economy and ravaged the nation in the first place? "***k you guys! We got ours! Figure it out!"

I remember being a kid and hearing about how the idea of America was that each generation worked hard to make sure their kids had a better life than they had. But it turns out that was a complete lie. While people were saying that, they were running up massive debt, shipping jobs oversees, and giving themselves benefits they didn't pay for.
Really ? I've been paying FICA all my working life and my employers have paid as well.
My generation (boomer) will get back LESS than what we paid in.

I notice you didn't list any of the FREE programs..TANF, medicaid, HUD, etc. in which people did not pay in and get back. And this list of programs are INCREASING in numbers and cost.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:17 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I'm not sure. Maybe they would not be entitled to the entire Facebook co. The lawsuit wasn't frivolous though, at least the court didn't think so. I'm just glad Zuckerburg doesn't manage the financials. We don't need another Enron.
There was an out of court settlement, the court never made a decision. If someone actually stole your idea, why would you settle out of court for a fraction of what you could get in court?

Old 03-18-2013, 09:20 AM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
How does anyone do it? Some examples.

1) Start a business. For example on Ebay. If you make a profit, they will take most of your money away in fees to the point it's not even worth the time put into listing and shipping. Or take out a loan and open up a place, and fail because nobody can afford your service in this economy.

2) Go to college. Only everyone goes to college so you are likely not to get a job for it, and you're left in servitude paying off your student loan debt. There are plenty of people still paying off their loans from the 1980s.

3) If you're lucky enough to find a job, most of them pay barely over minimum wage. Perhaps enough to share an apartment with a friend or partner, but by no means enough to start a family. The work is also more often than not very mundane and stressful, usually retail or cold calling.

I don't think this is justified in a country with so many resources. There needs to be a structural change. I'm 23 years old and I feel like my generation born in the 1980s/1990s has little hope of being more than debt serfs.
Well, do some research and find out what fields are hiring. Medical, technology and trades are a safe bet. Ever tried to find a good plumber or auto mechanic? Those guys make $40+ an hour, that's nothing to sneer at. Move! Investigate stable states that aren't on most folk's radar. You "may" find less competition, in say Wyoming and Oklahoma, than the go to states of Colorado or Texas. Forget Ebay, sell on Craig's list. Think outside the box and get out of your comfort zone. You will be surprised at what all you will find.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:20 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
NO.. I did not say it was fair to you. It isn't fair to anyone. I've been hearing about how SS wasn't going to be there for me for years, but I don't have any choice but to pay it... do you? So once again.. instead of blaming me, being argumentative and generally being nasty just because you can, tell me how YOU would fix it. Be fair now. Take all the generations into consideration. And take into consideration the amount those generations have paid in. And take into consideration that most of us geezers are not in congress. We didn't put you in debt. We didn't want to be in debt either.

1. raise the cap and expand it to tax capital gains, and at the same time switch to chained CPI. That way you get savings and revenue and spread the pain evenly between payees and beneficiaries.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:27 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
yeah, i know...just apply yourself. get in where you're at an advantage and go from there.

just sucks, i always fashioned myself a great man. reality sucks...just another fish in the pond.

after financial security, after a wife and kids, what's next?

that's my struggle. being good, it's not hard. it's just motivation.
Greg Brown -- Lyrics for DOWN IN THERE
Read the lyrics for Worrisome Years.
You're not the first generation to have a hard time.
Really, you're not special.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:28 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Mr. Zuckerberg is 1 in 40 million though. He lucked out. He happened to have the right idea at the right place at the right time. That is really what it comes down to.
There is no such thing as luck. The reality is that opportunity met preparation. If he didn't have the drive, know-how and willingness to take a risk, it would have just been another great idea that went nowhere.

We all have opportunities that come our way. It's called LIFE. Success comes when you jump on that opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies