Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 11:13 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
How does anyone do it? Some examples.

1) Start a business. For example on Ebay. If you make a profit, they will take most of your money away in fees to the point it's not even worth the time put into listing and shipping. Or take out a loan and open up a place, and fail because nobody can afford your service in this economy. You are 22 years old and have no experience. Unless you have reinvented toilet paper, no one is likely going to loan you a dime. Nothing new here, folks

2) Go to college. Only everyone goes to college so you are likely not to get a job for it, and you're left in servitude paying off your student loan debt. There are plenty of people still paying off their loans from the 1980s. Everyone does not go to college. The majority of people do not attain 4 year degrees. Most who do will earn multiples of someone without a degree, especially if the degree is relevant.

3) If you're lucky enough to find a job, most of them pay barely over minimum wage. Perhaps enough to share an apartment with a friend or partner, but by no means enough to start a family. The work is also more often than not very mundane and stressful, usually retail or cold calling. I know of plenty of people in their early 20's making 6 figures. I also know plenty of people in their 20's who complain and do nothing to change their own circumstances.

this is justified in a country with so many resources. There needs to be a structural change. I'm 23 years old and I feel like my generation born in the 1980s/1990s has little hope of being more than debt serfs.
What's with expecting government to do for you? No one owes you anything. If it is your intent to have a career in electronic engineering, seek employment in a company that hires electronic engineers. At this stage, who cares if it's minimum wage and you spend your time doing grunt work. Own the grunt. Be the best darn grunt the company has ever seen.

The transition between childhood and self -sustaining adulthood has been a huge shocker to prior generations, too. All that time one spends whining about how it ought to be and how unfair it is can be put to better use making it happen. Own it.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:15 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
You don't think I've f***ing tried? I've put myself out there on craigslist. I washed dishes for some dude and I babysat for a woman, and both of them have become older friends of mine. I made decent money working for them, but it still only $150 a month at the very best of times.

You don't just knock on people's doors and ask if they need stuff done. People think that's creepy. As far as flea markets go, yeah I mean they're fine and dandy and all but people tend to go there for bargains, you go there to make cash off your old stuff not to have a for-profit business.

I've tried the whole cherry-picking route, it doesn't add up to much and pays too little to be worth the effort. And by little I mean like maybe $10 or $15 a week. Pawn Stars is fictional.
Can't work fast food?
Can't work temp agencies?

Or is that won't?

Old 03-14-2013, 11:16 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Are you serious? What year are you living in, 1993? You can buy stuff on Amazon at 7-11 now for Chrissake.
That has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with how real life SOCIAL transactions are conducted. Hint for ya: facebook is an ANTI-social network

When you emerge from your basement, that blast of sunshine outside will do wonders for your Vitamin D deficiency also.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:17 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
My point is getting a job in my field is still far from a guarantee. And in the meantime, I can't seem to find anything that makes any sort of money whatsoever.
As a student, especially in your studies, you obviously have intelligence. So if your not getting hired by someone (even if only part-time at Wal-mart or McDonalds) there's a reason. Truthfully... you better take a look in the mirror and figure out why, because even with the degree, if times ever get good again, you still won't get the job you want if there is an underlying reason. Attitude? Hygiene? Character?

Old 03-14-2013, 11:18 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
My point is getting a job in my field is still far from a guarantee. And in the meantime, I can't seem to find anything that makes any sort of money whatsoever.
There have never been guarantees.

So in the meantime, what have you done to make yourself more valuable in the marketplace?
Sitting back, holding out for a well paying- no experience required part time job sounds like a pity party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
As a student, especially in your studies, you obviously have intelligence. So if your not getting hired by someone (even if only part-time at Wal-mart or McDonalds) there's a reason. Truthfully... you better take a look in the mirror and figure out why, because even with the degree, if times ever get good again, you still won't get the job you want if there is an underlying reason. Attitude? Hygiene? Character?
I'm going to have to go with attitude, Alex.

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Can't work fast food?
Can't work temp agencies?

Or is that won't?
Actually that is really hard to get. Before I realized that I should use connections to get jobs I applied all sorts of fast food places and temp agencies. Nothing. Even if you want to be a barrista, retail clerk or a dishwasher you often will need to know someone.

The fact is the economy is really bad and chances are the manager has a bunch of friends or relatives struggling and that is who they are going to hire for those jobs.

It is not like the 1990s or when I started working in the early 2000s when you could just apply w/qualifications and get hired.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:19 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
You Boomers are missing the point.

And honestly, congratulations on our current predicament. You can't even see what you helped create.

The "Oblivious" generation. Or maybe the "divisive" generation. Or maybe the generation of greed.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:19 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
How does anyone do it? Some examples.

1) Start a business. For example on Ebay. If you make a profit, they will take most of your money away in fees to the point it's not even worth the time put into listing and shipping. Or take out a loan and open up a place, and fail because nobody can afford your service in this economy.

2) Go to college. Only everyone goes to college so you are likely not to get a job for it, and you're left in servitude paying off your student loan debt. There are plenty of people still paying off their loans from the 1980s.

3) If you're lucky enough to find a job, most of them pay barely over minimum wage. Perhaps enough to share an apartment with a friend or partner, but by no means enough to start a family. The work is also more often than not very mundane and stressful, usually retail or cold calling.

I don't think this is justified in a country with so many resources. There needs to be a structural change. I'm 23 years old and I feel like my generation born in the 1980s/1990s has little hope of being more than debt serfs.
This is what the people your age voted for and it will get worse.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:20 AM

Do people actually choose to ignore the "help wanted" signs at local retail establishments, or are they truly spending too much time scouting cyberleads on linkedin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies