Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 10:48 AM

957 posts, read 1,133,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
So people under 40 have it rough? Yes.. they do. Do they have it more rough than those of us in our 50's? Nope... Just a different set of problems. And it's how you handle those problems that define your character. Whine about it? Or figure out the solution?
whine?yes, and gettiin into politics to change things, after you realized that the problem is not individual.

If a guy is smart, educated, well behaved and despite this he can barely find a job, can't buy a home, can't start a family, can't move out from his parents that means there's something wrong not in him but in the system because of bad politics.
And you gotta change politics. and we're trying to do it here.

I happened to check graphs who show in the last decade the enormous growth of USA national debt and the growth of financial profits.
more debts=more profits for ultra rich

In other word the government didn't make debt to promote jobs, small business, internal demands i.e. the real economy but printed money and sold more bonds to save bank speculations and the big capital.
But in order to re-pay the debt (used to save the rich) the same government raise taxes/cut services, blasting middle and lower classe.

That sounds an injustice to me and the reason of the middle class impoverishment.

It's political.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I'm not saying older people haven't been hit hard too, but at least you guys had an opportunity to start families, have kids, etc. Generation Y does not have the luxury you boomers and xers did in young adulthood.
Read up.....

Unemployment 10%, inflation 13.5%, numerous bank failures. Sound familiar ?

Early 1980s recession - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-14-2013, 10:49 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,144,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
can't move out from his parents that means there's something wrong l.
Well... ya got one thing right.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:50 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,395,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why do you think that this is specific to your generation?
It's not.

You don't think we're doing more with less?
We're not retiring because our pensions got hit with stock market, Enron, etc.
We don't have money, either.
You're not special. Figure it out, everyone else in the world has to.
Yes, yes it would be specific to our generation unless you came of age in the 1930s, because that is the last time we had an economic problem this protracted and this deep.

The fact is getting in the door in terms of even basic employment is hard and because what little job growth we have had is dumbbell shaped getting into a profession is very hard.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:51 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I'm not saying older people haven't been hit hard too, but at least you guys had an opportunity to start families, have kids, etc. Generation Y does not have the luxury you boomers and xers did in young adulthood.
Neither did many of them.
I didn't make much money so I was sterilized at 22. (I also never wanted kids).

What luxury?
Seriously, you don't think we had double digit inflation in the mid/late 70s?
Do you really think people before you could buy houses?

I could barely afford the mortgage on my first house that cost $33,500 while working 2 jobs with degrees.
You have some bizarre vision of the world, because it's certainly not the one I grew up in.
I'll bet most people older than you can say the same.

I can remember sending out 150+ resumes with no bites.
When I whined, a friend said, your next step is to send out another resume.
I kept on until I got a job, got better training, etc.
I was in my 30s.
So don't tell me how easy it all was for the rest of the world.
The world changes for every generation, it's always going to look like the people before and after have it easier.
It's a load of garbage.
Life is hard.
Make the best of it; whining isn't the way to do that.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:51 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,778,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Read up.....

Unemployment 10%, inflation 13.5%, numerous bank failures. Sound familiar ?

Early 1980s recession - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The difference is that the 1980s recession ended. This one has no end in sight. In fact if it weren't for the tech boom and people living on credit our economy would be stagnant since 1989 and not just 2007.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 2,528 times
Default perspective

Very good topic, and relevant for today. You raise some very legitimate concerns for your generation. The world has changed dramatically over the last 50 years, like lightning speed, and mostly since the year 2000. The global society is here, and it ain't going away. As more governments default and the global financial meltdown continues to unfold, I think we're going to see more governments merging together, and perhaps a brand new monetary system. But here are some thoughts for you:

#1 - Sit down and write down your life goals. What is it that you want out of life?? Do you want to be married, kids, friends, etc. What's most important to you. Do you want job security?? Do you want to be rich or famous?? Do you want to make a difference in the world (like find the cure for the common cold or something??), do you like helping people?? Do you like to serve people?? Do you want to work indoors/outdoors, etc etc etc. Ask yourself these questions and formulate a plan to accomplish your goals. Obviously, you need a job if you want to eat (unless money is not an issue for you). My 16 year old daughter made $10 an hour working as a lifeguard and now she is almost 18. She has saved $5000 in cash, and we're getting ready to go and get her a car with CASH!!! She started with zero and set some goals. It didn't happen overnight and she worked hard at it. She's been accepted at the University of South Carolina and she's going to study nursing to get her nursing degree. It will take 4 years and about 40K, with some late nights studying and hard work. Most of the 40K will be covered with scholarships, the rest her and I will split. I'm sure that her first year working as a nurse she'll make between 50-70K. Not bad.

#2 - Whatever you do, stay out of debt. America is a capitalistic, materialistic money driven society. The almighty dollar drives everything!! There are people out there that make 6 figures that are trained to do one thing, and that is to get into your wallet!! Forget the Jones's......they're broke!!! If you can't afford to pay cash for it.....then you can't afford it. Exception would be a house, with 20% down on a 15 year, low interest note.

#3- You mentioned starting a business. It's always a great time to start a business!! But only at the right time, for the right reason. Don't borrow money to start a business. Truly successful business people love what they do. If you have a passion for something, then start researching everything about that subject and become an expert. Go to work for somebody that does that. Learn about the business side of thing, and then when the timing is right, break out on your own.

#4 - Remember, "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch", and everytime I read the book, the turtle always wins the race!!

All the best

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Yes, yes it would be specific to our generation unless you came of age in the 1930s, because that is the last time we had an economic problem this protracted and this deep.

The fact is getting in the door in terms of even basic employment is hard and because what little job growth we have had is dumbbell shaped getting into a profession is very hard.
4 years ? Really ?

And we've been "recovering" since 2009 as our government tells us.
Our recession was over June 2009.

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post

So long as people keep voting to project the "job creators" that aren't, that's not going to change.
It's always been hard for people to get their foot in the door.
Fewer jobs, more breeding.
What do you expect?

Old 03-14-2013, 10:53 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,778,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Neither did many of them.
I didn't make much money so I was sterilized at 22. (I also never wanted kids).

What luxury?
Seriously, you don't think we had double digit inflation in the mid/late 70s?
Do you really think people before you could buy houses?

I could barely afford the mortgage on my first house that cost $33,500 while working 2 jobs with degrees.
You have some bizarre vision of the world, because it's certainly not the one I grew up in.
I'll bet most people older than you can say the same.

I can remember sending out 150+ resumes with no bites.
When I whined, a friend said, your next step is to send out another resume.
I kept on until I got a job, got better training, etc.
I was in my 30s.
So don't tell me how easy it all was for the rest of the world.
The world changes for every generation, it's always going to look like the people before and after have it easier.
It's a load of garbage.
Life is hard.
Make the best of it; whining isn't the way to do that.
Wow are you like the re-incarnation of Ayn Rand? I'm not saying it was ever easy, but I highly doubt that you sent out 150+ resumes in the 1970s. Maybe maybe 20 or 30?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies