Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:03 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,778,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Have you looked at real estate prices in Toronto, Quebec, etc?

Europe is even harder than Canada to make a living, so maybe that's why you're seeing the migration.
I could care less about owning a home, I just want a job that gives me some time off so I can actually spend quality time with my (future) children and take a nice trip and see the world once in a while. America doesn't offer that because we are a society that is obsessed with working hard and keeping up with the Joneses.

Unfortunately despite the "love it or leave it" people, one can not simply move to another country. Most countries that are worth living in want doctors, engineers, millionaires, etc - they don't want a 20something Gen Yer with nothing but dreams.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:04 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I'm going into electronic engineering but at the moment, I'm frustrated that I can't make any money while I'm going to school. Another thing is that the field I'm going into is very demanding and I worry that if I ever have a family of my own, even if I can support them financially I'll never get to see them. My dad is in the same field I'm going into (part of the reason I chose it) and I never got to see him at all as a child.

My dream is pretty simple, I just want to marry a beautiful woman and have a couple kids and live comfortably but it seems impossible. Child care is one of the big fields now because nobody has any time to take care of their own children.
Quick question...I'm certainly not second-guessing your ambitions....but when you say "electronic engineering" are you referring to "electrical engineering?" An electrical engineer will do fine in life provided that he/she remains as mobile as necessary to obtain the proper foundation for a good career. Sometimes it is necessary to relocate once or twice in the early career years in order to find your niche in the field.

Are you positive that "electronic engineering" is not watered-down like an "engineering technology" degree, the latter of which doesn't really bestow the knowledge of an engineer or offer the corresponding job opportunities? Electronic engineering degrees are a staple at "for profit" universities and often leave out key details of what a job seeker can seek with that degree.

I ask only because I'd hate for you to get trapped with a degree that's not technically an "engineering" degree.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:05 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I could care less about owning a home, I just want a job that gives me some time off so I can actually spend quality time with my (future) children and take a nice trip and see the world once in a while. America doesn't offer that because we are a society that is obsessed with working hard and keeping up with the Joneses.

Unfortunately despite the "love it or leave it" people, one can not simply move to another country. Most countries that are worth living in want doctors, engineers, millionaires, etc - they don't want a 20something Gen Yer with nothing but dreams.
So you are ok with being a wage slave and borrowing someone's property for the rest of your life?

I don't think that philosophy is compatible with American ideals. It is more compatible where security is greater than liberty.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
THIS^^^^^

Sorry GenY person who thinks you cant make it. Here is a news flash. it has always been hard to get started.

I made less than $5K in 1995. It was HARD. my wife was happy she was making $8 an hour we were young and just starting out.

I worked like a dog and built a resume and a skill set and paid my dues. it took some time but we live a pretty nice middle class life.

Stop complaining and go out and be better than everyone else and put in the time. Its hard out there for everybody.
You made less than $5K a YEAR? How is that even possible?

$8 an hour was a pretty decent wage 20 years ago btw. That's probably like $11-$12 in today's money. I'd be fairly happy making that much.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Try finding a job during the post Vietnam recession. Then you can ***** about how tough it is.

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
A lot of you Gen-Y folks took out student loans. You knew you had to pay them back..debt took a back seat eh ?
My son is Gen-Y and I can't stress hard enough to him that "DEBT" is a 4 letter word that you don't want like a monkey on your back. It's bad enough trying to make it today without debt but with debt that has to be paid back makes it all that much harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
So you are ok with being a wage slave and borrowing someone's property for the rest of your life?

I don't think that philosophy is compatible with American ideals. It is more compatible where security is greater than liberty.
Don't get me wrong home ownership is nice, but it's a liability too. You still have to pay property taxes, and there are benefits to having a landlord. You're not tied down to one place, if your faucet is leaky they will come to fix it.

I think in many ways renting gives you more freedom than owning. My family has always been nomadic and we've never lived in the same place for more than a few years so the idea of owning a house and being stuck with it does not appeal to me.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
A lot of you Gen-Y folks took out student loans. You knew you had to pay them back..debt took a back seat eh ?
My son is Gen-Y and I can't stress hard enough to him that "DEBT" is a 4 letter word that you don't want like a monkey on your back. It's bad enough trying to make it today without debt but with debt that has to be paid back makes it all that much harder.
Luckily I have no debt. I'm fortunate for that!

Old 03-14-2013, 10:09 AM

957 posts, read 1,133,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Just how was it easier 15 or 20 years ago? 30? 40? Do kids today face the draft? Do new homeowner's have to deal with 15% interest rates? Do you remember 2.85 cents per hour minimum wage? I do. Free phones... what was that? I wanted a job, I had to type my resume out on an old manual typewriter and hand deliver it to the place I wanted a job. And hope that the other people on our party line kept off the phone long enough that I could get a call about an interview. We've all faced hardships... Gen Y will survive just like the rest of us did.
I belong to the generation X and can remember the 80s, my family of four was raised by a single breadwinner, a worker, we lived well, had long vacations, went shopping, out for dinners more than once per week, changed cars every 5 years etc and mom taken care of the house, me and my brother.

Now go and tell a young boy, they don't believe, they think I'm lying to them.

Only superflous stuff have improved since then but honestly I don't give a **** about the possibility of talking to say a chinese via skipe if I can't afford a decent wage and a house ...

Old 03-14-2013, 10:09 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Try finding a job during the post Vietnam recession. Then you can ***** about how tough it is.
Yea, but we had GOOD music then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies