Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 09:31 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This is the government you wanted. Now adjust and adapt.
You can't expect government to take care of you and not have to pay for it, do you ?
How is this the government gen-Y wanted?

Old 03-14-2013, 09:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Default pknopp

The problem is not just starting at the bottom it is staying at the bottom as growth and promotion opportunites are eliminated by economic stagnation.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
The thing is the world is different now. It's not the 60s, 70s or 80s anymore. Sometimes there is no way up. That's why you see 40 year olds working at McDonalds. There are only so many well paying blue collar and professional educated jobs.

I think the solution is to combat corporate greed, and then cut hours yet also pay people more per hour.
Not every job is a corporate job. Most employers in the US are small business.
Living in a recession is just that..making due with what you can get.

I entered the job market in the 80's during times of high interest rates and inflation.
I made due..20 year old car (66 Mustang ), used furniture and a studio apartment.
Oh and I moved from a high COL city (NYC) to a low COL (Miami Beach). Back then it was a low COL area.

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The problem is not just starting at the bottom it is staying at the bottom as growth and promotion opportunites are eliminated by economic stagnation.
Go into finance. The government will make sure you are taken care of cradle to grave.

957 posts, read 1,133,864 times
I previously thought this kind of situation could be referred to Italy only but now I can see it's more and more common to the whole old West i.e. western Europe plus USA.

I'd say thare are way too people that are rich, very rich, old, very old and generally satisfied with their life so as not to need to invest money on real economy.
While the uber rich quitted long ago to invest their money into real economy to do just financial speculation.

More and more money are concentrated in the hands of a few while a democracy lives on a larger middle class base.

A thing that should be done is to expropriate the rich, those who benefited more from the tax cuts since the Reagan's era and with those money finance small business and internal US demands.

Otherwise I see no other future that progressive impoverishment for the younger generation in the next years.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Sombody had to fund the Baby Boomer's excesses including all our foreign wars and corporate welfare. Guess what. You're it.

I sugest figuring out a way to consult on government computer programming (try Homeland Security internet spyware) or app development while living in your parents basement to save enough money to buy bank stock. Good luck.
If you look at Congress the majority of them are NOT baby boomers but silent generation folks.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:35 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
How does anyone do it? Some examples.

1) Start a business. For example on Ebay. If you make a profit, they will take most of your money away in fees to the point it's not even worth the time put into listing and shipping. Or take out a loan and open up a place, and fail because nobody can afford your service in this economy.

2) Go to college. Only everyone goes to college so you are likely not to get a job for it, and you're left in servitude paying off your student loan debt. There are plenty of people still paying off their loans from the 1980s.

3) If you're lucky enough to find a job, most of them pay barely over minimum wage. Perhaps enough to share an apartment with a friend or partner, but by no means enough to start a family. The work is also more often than not very mundane and stressful, usually retail or cold calling.

I don't think this is justified in a country with so many resources. There needs to be a structural change.
I disagree. I am GenY (27 years old) and am doing fine. I got my foot in the door with a larger company, went to graduate school at night while working full time. After that I worked 75 hours/week on a 40 hour/week salary to build a skillset that was in need and finally, five years after graduating I got a very well paying job doing what I want to do. I just had to pay my dues for five years to get there. Most of my friends think I am insane to have such a time intensive schedule while at the same time wonder how I make the money I do. I don't see how they don't put 2 and 2 together.

Most people my age don't understand the concept of paying their dues...

Old 03-14-2013, 09:35 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,778,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I think the problem is people to to college and get dumb degrees. Go to school and get into a field that is in demand and pays well, 90% of the time that will be something requiring math or science. I am 28 years old and my whole school life I was feed the same crap, if you go to college you will easily get a job, get a job you love and it will be like you never have to work.

Like 1% of society has a job they love. The rest of us just do something that is manageable and puts a roof over our heads.
I'm going into electronic engineering but at the moment, I'm frustrated that I can't make any money while I'm going to school. Another thing is that the field I'm going into is very demanding and I worry that if I ever have a family of my own, even if I can support them financially I'll never get to see them. My dad is in the same field I'm going into (part of the reason I chose it) and I never got to see him at all as a child.

My dream is pretty simple, I just want to marry a beautiful woman and have a couple kids and live comfortably but it seems impossible. Child care is one of the big fields now because nobody has any time to take care of their own children.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:38 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,778,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I disagree. I am GenY (27 years old) and am doing fine. I got my foot in the door with a larger company, went to graduate school at night while working full time. After that I worked 75 hours/week on a 40 hour/week salary to build a skillset that was in need and finally, five years after graduating I got a very well paying job doing what I want to do. I just had to pay my dues for five years to get there. Most of my friends think I am insane to have such a time intensive schedule while at the same time wonder how I make the money I do. I don't see how they don't put 2 and 2 together.

Most people my age don't understand the concept of paying their dues...
I think that's part of the problem too. We're being worked to death. Nobody in the entire world is overworked as much as us Yankees. Even the Japanese don't slave as hard as we do.

The main issue in my opinion is the price of real estate. People have to work hard to prevent being homeless. I consider flipping houses somewhat of a predatory profession since it makes it much harder for people to make a living, it's also part of what caused our economy to collapse.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
How is this the government gen-Y wanted?
They are "Generation me", very narcissistic and having wealth is very important to them.
A mere 30% of them care about politics. Seems like apathy is winning with each new generation of adults.
That's the general description of Gen-Y.

I should have really posted.."This is the government you got because you didn't care enough"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies