Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 10:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times

Advertisements

aus10 - Indeed we did. I earned my GI Bill to the thunder of the Browning machine gun. "White Rabbit" is the only song that made sense of those days. Hell, its the only song that makes sense today.

I am very glad I am about to retire and am not looking to start a career. belmont22 has a tough row to hoe.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:21 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
It's hard for everyone starting out in life.
I don't know why your generation thinks that they should be able to have all of the things that every other generation had to work for for DECADES.
You're no better, or worse, or different from anyone else.
You have unreasonable expectations.

I worked for 30 years before I had expendable income.
Why do you think you deserve everything being given to you?

Old 03-14-2013, 10:22 AM

39,865 posts, read 26,492,827 times
I'm thinking "Gen Yers" are the whiniest generation. Sounds like they want everything handed to them, with out the need to work for anything. Sad thing, it's largely due to my generation's poor parenting that has led to this.

4,209 posts, read 3,588,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I think Gen Y's problem is that they want to start out at the top and don't start where they belong, at the bottom. Go get ANY job for now and work your way up.
But, but, but.....BO has promised them they are entitled to a great life.

Imagine having to actually work for work you earn - and earn only what you deserve. That is a language the left refuses to understand.

And I love the new tactic of trying to blame businesses for not hiring people because they have been out of work. Whatever. An employer can choose to hire the best person for whatever position is available and no one has the right to make that decision for him/her. Here's an idea....if you feel so 'discriminated' against for not getting hired, how about start your own business?

2,096 posts, read 4,774,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
For #1 - ebay has to make money. So they charge fees. If you can't make money on ebay then the products you sell are crap, you sell for too cheap, or your expenses are too high.

#2 - go to college and get a GOOD degree. Get a worthless degree, like most liberal arts degrees, and you will be lucky to work at Starbucks. You'll never pay off your loans. DON'T GO TO COLLEGE TO CHASE YOUR DREAMS IF YOUR DREAMS CREATE DEBT WITH NO HOPE OF PAYING THEM OFF. Only rich people can go to college and chase their dreams. On the other hand, get a degree in engineering, almost any kind, and you can find a good job. Petroleum engineers from good colleges are STARTING at $70K right now.

#3 - sure there are lots of minimum wage jobs. They are STARTER jobs. No one should work fast food expecting to succeed. But it is better than sitting on the couch. My son earned $12/hr as a lifeguard. Taught private swim lessons and earned $20/hr. That is damn good entry level money.
I understand ebay needs to make money but the fees are ridiculous. I sold a coin for $127, bought it for $95. That's a $30 profit after shipping right? Well no because they took $11 out of it. $30 is a nice profit and worth my time but $19 is hardly worth the bother of buying it, listing it and shipping it. I would be better off washing dishes for my neighbor.

I am getting an engineering degree. However I'd never be a petroleum engineer. I'm not into raping the planet.

That's awesome your son found a niche but like I said, it's not easy. I'm a musician, I've been promoting my music for the better part of a decade, and still nobody listens. It's not like I haven't tried and I'm not still trying, I'm just venting about how it seems like nothing works.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:23 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
aus10 - Indeed we did. I earned my GI Bill to the thunder of the Browning machine gun. "White Rabbit" is the only song that made sense of those days. Hell, its the only song that makes sense today.

I am very glad I am about to retire and am not looking to start a career. belmont22 has a tough row to how.
Congrats on the retirement! And thank you for your service! We've still got a ways to go (end of boomer years here!) but I'm not whining about it. We are finally at the stage in our life after 30+ years to start enjoying the fruits of our labor, so I really don't have any patience with those who whine in the early years...

Old 03-14-2013, 10:24 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head. A skillset is the key, and paying your dues to obtain it is an absolute requirement. It's too bad not enough young folks understand this.
For sure!

The sad part about a lot of this stuff is the mindset instilled from birth for many has been; there is no such thing as failure. You will move along regardless of level and committment to hard work.

Teens having a TV set in their bedroom, their own phone line into the house to give them their demanded privacy . Family cars made available with insurance provided. Even their laundry done for them.

Hell; I know parents today with 30 year olds who bring their laundry home for mom to do for them .

It stands to reason that if mom and dad don't sit the kids down at the kitchen table and TEACH them the requirements to running and providing a family home; they sure ain't gonna learn that from the 20 something civics class teacher.

My brother and I were subjected to a family session periodicly where it was explained to us that when we watched our father AND mother drive off to work, the part we didn't comprehend was for every hour they spent at some crappy job was to earn the dollars it took to get a ton of coal dumped into the coal bin in the basement used to keep us warm and cozy all night through a Canadian winter. We learned the sacrifice in time and effort required to run a household and hence the value of hard work.

We'd get scolded for leaving a light on in a room untended.

ANYONE on here today ever here anyone get scolded for leaving a light on in the last 20 years or so?

Mom spent time after coming home from her full time job to cook us an evening meal; it did not carry any weight with my father if broccoli or spinach wasn't our favourite veggie, YOU ATE IT OR ELSE! Then you did the dishes to give mom a break.

We learned little stuff from all of this ~ life isn't always the way we like or want it to be. Dissappointments are learning events. Failure at one thing can often mean success at another.

I am convinced they don't make parents like that anymore as it's become the norm to stick everyone in front of the TV/Playstation/X-Box/I-pad/LapTop/Notebook to simply shut them the hell up and subsequently give yourself the luxury of not having to invest your time.

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
My Gen Y kid doesn't either. He tried it once... got shut down real quick when he realized that we sacrificed for him... it's his turn for the sacrifice..
So i my Gen Y kid. He went and moved in with roommates so he'd have more "extra money" and found out real quick what living with room mates can be. Now he has his own place and says cutting back to afford it is totally worth it.

The only help he's getting from me is paid college tuition/books.
And I locked in tuition when he was 10 with those state pre-paid plans.
For the rest, he's on his own.

2,096 posts, read 4,774,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
And I love the new tactic of trying to blame businesses for not hiring people because they have been out of work. Whatever. An employer can choose to hire the best person for whatever position is available and no one has the right to make that decision for him/her. Here's an idea....if you feel so 'discriminated' against for not getting hired, how about start your own business?
But you know, if they are allowed to discriminate against the unemployed but willing to work, those people will be forced to go on benefits, or worse yet, beg on the street. Which would make them even more despised by you.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:25 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,830 times
I find it funny how there are so many people blaming the Gen Ys for the government.

1. Most of the problems are pre-Obama
2. At most Gen Y makes up 16-22% of the electorate, hardly enough to dictate policies.
3. Much of the debt was racked up before we could vote and the polices that created the debt were created often before we were born.
4. Many politicians on the right are not shy that they want to balance the budget on the backs of Gen Y thus the if you are over 55 you get your golden parachute with the under 55s paying for it so they can get their worthless coupon.
5. Most of the entitlement spending goes to people who are 60+ which isn't surprising since most of the voters are 50+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies