Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 04:03 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,025,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Young people today just expect everything handed to them on a silver platter. Back in my day, growing up consisted of walking barefoot uphill to school(both directions) through a blizzard carrying burlap sack
We've all got a family member who remembers the days of Lincoln....
did you have to read by candlelight too

You know that industrial revolution of the 20th century actually allowed you to
buy a pair of shoes on lay-away with Sears Roebuck & Co. IF YOU COULD AFFORD THEM

Old 03-15-2013, 04:06 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,709,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Funny you should mention that ...

U.S. Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens called California’s pre-Prop. 13 landowning class "the Squires" whose tax advantages are "a privilege of a medieval character."
The thing with Prop 13 is it only became law because the elected officials paid no heed to the peasants.

Simply put... there were not enough land owning Californians to enact Prop 13... Prop 13 succeeded because it enjoyed a groundswell of support to the consternation of those in power which even tried a eleventh hour Prop to compete with it.

The simple reality is Prop 13 applies to all taxable property equally in the State...

In my area... we also have Rent Control and Just Cause Eviction ordinances... so those without property have extremely strong protections and some would call it equivalent to a life estate.

Anyone thinking Prop 13 provides anything more than some modicum of predictability to Property Taxes should by all means jump in and join the landowning "Class"

Old 03-15-2013, 04:07 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,137,639 times
I think it expands beyond just material wealth. I think it deals with quality of life, overall happiness, and freedom. There's less of all of the above. Everything is about money.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:08 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,763,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
Yea because nobody in the baby boomer generation is materialistic, stuck-up, and has a keeping up with the Jonses' attitude.

And if GenY is narcissistic and concerned with wealth, where do you think they got that attitude from? Their baby boomer parents at the least.
So is blaming someone else making it any easier for you? (get a job, make better money).. Is it working?

Old 03-15-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I just got off work. Smoked a bowl. And have some money in my pocket for the weekend.

Your old.
Have a good weekend.
Don't spend all that money in one place

Old 03-15-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So is blaming someone else making it any easier for you? (get a job, make better money).. Is it working?
What does that even mean??

You mean get another hand out? Do you not understand the fact that our policies and cronyism is strangling the life out of entrepreneurship? Have you started a business before yourself?

Old 03-15-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
What does that even mean??

You mean get another hand out? Do you not understand the fact that our policies and cronyism is strangling the life out of entrepreneurship? Have you started a business before yourself?
Exactly, whew,....now your getting it! But Obama and fellow Democrat Elizabeth Warren said that entrepreneurs didn't built that! so go ask Obama and Elizabeth to build it.

And yes, I did build a business ... built without Obama.

[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-15-2013 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: hotlinking

Old 03-15-2013, 04:11 PM

30,078 posts, read 18,689,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Sell everything. Right so I should sell stuff that would not fetch but a total of $100-150 if I am lucky and not have my laptop which I use to look for other jobs with more opportunity, not have bed sheets to cover myself at night, not have pillows to lay my head on, not have clothes to start my job (remember I have a job which requires business casual dress so going naked is not gonna happen), not have soap to wash with, not have food to eat, basically forget about having any bare necessities which would help me get started in Arlington?

I'm done here. The geezers can have this argument, I'm getting back to work.
Sadly, you did not see (or bother to read) my post, which would provide you with good advice to change your circumstances.

1. MOVE- go to where the jobs are (midwest- North Dakota in particular)
2. Choose an area of work with high demand and decent salaries (try getting a plumber or electrician where I live within two weeks of your call).
3. Get an education in a field of high demand (healthcare, business ag, energy, services such as plumbing/electrician)
4. DO NOT "start a business" on your own until you have capital and expertise in that area

My previous post had more detailed information. I "made it" with most likely far less assets than you. What did I have?
intelligence
hard work
pissed off at being poor
faith that the above three would "deliver me". It did.

You will NEVER advance in life by sitting on your butt and whining. Nothing (economically) in life that is good is easy to obtain. The things in life that really matter are free, but they are hard to appreciate if you are broke. Things were very "dark" for me for many years, yet I never listened to detractors and was not influenced by the "live now" crowd.

In spite of Obama, the US still has opportunity. It will be much greater when he is gone. Oddly, "your generation" supported a man who is diametrically opposed to your financial well being and success. I, fortunately, had Reagan in my immediate post college years. Votes matter- those who promise to deliver treats for nothing usually deliver misery for everything.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Sadly, you did not see (or bother to read) my post, which would provide you with good advice to change your circumstances.

1. MOVE- go to where the jobs are
2. Choose an area of work with high demand and decent salaries
3. Get an education in a field of high demand
4. DO NOT "start a business" on your own until you have capital and expertise in that area

My previous post had more detailed information. I "made it" with most likely far less assets than you. What did I have?
intelligence
hard work
pissed off at being poor
faith that the above three would "deliver me". It did.

You will NEVER advance in life by sitting on your butt and whining. Nothing (economically) in life that is good is easy to obtain. The things in life that really matter are free, but they are hard to appreciate if you are broke. Things were very "dark" for me for many years, yet I never listened to detractors and was not influenced by the "live now" crowd.

In spite of Obama, the US still has opportunity. It will be much greater when he is gone. Oddly, "your generation" supported a man who is diametrically opposed to your financial well being and success. I, fortunately, had Reagan in my immediate post college years. Votes matter- those who promise to deliver treats for nothing usually deliver misery for everything.

I can agree with this post.

It's encouraging, informative, and not condescending. I find it offensive that people who had less barriers entering the workforce are calling a generation after them lazy. Lazy would be if there were an abundance of jobs everywhere and nobody wanted to work.

I agree that more have to do what's suggested above. Starting a business can bankrupt you in a heart beat and always requires so many factors that can't often be foreseen. If you start a business with a lot of backing, great, you have time to adjust, but when you don't have money you can't make mistakes and that's impossible no matter how long or good you are at what you do.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:16 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,196,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
No I mean if you aren't ever going to use it then i don't know why you're in this discussion.

Of course that works for you, that would be stealing.

Come to think of it, that's basically the Romney-Ryan plan.

Over tax? You serious? Taxes are low.

The generation before you paid double and triple the tax rate of your generation, and they used it to build things like interstates that we still use today.
My lifetime of taxes paid to date include huge amounts of local taxes - paid to educate our children (and others), build local roads, pay for police and fire protection. You haven't paid but a pittance through your sales taxes for any of these things you use and benefitted from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies