Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 05:10 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Since it appears that the democratic form is easily corrupted and stricken by partisanship, let us consider the alternative.
If you were Galactic Emperor of the united States of America, and your will was law, how would you deal with:
One __ The subsidy of waste and the penalty on frugality (i.e., government meddling, red tape, bureaucracy, regulatory abuse)
Two __ The subsidy of consumption and the penalty on production (taxation, grants, etc)
Three __ The subsidy of non-producers and the penalty on producers / laborers (entitlements)
Four __ The corruption, bribery and malfeasance of public servants under your command
Five __ The fraudulent conversion of protected rights into subject privileges (i.e., right to travel converted into privilege to drive, etc.)
Six __ The restoration of prosperity (the production, trade and enjoyment of surplus usable goods and services)
For example, item one, as Galactic Emperor, I would end all public financing of roads, bridges and infrastructure, and cease taxing and restricting electric traction rail. Once the true costs are visible, the problem will swiftly correct itself, rail transport will take over 80 - 90% of the cargo and passenger service, and eliminate petroleum imports.

Another example, item two, as Galactic Emperor, I would cease giving grants to pay fuel bills, water bills, electric bills, or otherwise subsidize their consumption. I would encourage frugality, conservation and thus reduce the overall consumption of fuel instead of maintaining the status quo. No one should be compelled to labor for the benefit of another, regardless of how pitiful the recipient is.

Additionally, as Galactic Emperor, I would end all public funding of mass transit, and any other "service" not explicitly related to securing rights of the people.

{Your ideas?}

Somebody has spent waaay too much time in the World of Warcraft.

Put the gameboy down and go outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 05:14 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
As Galactic Emperor I would tax poverty.
It is a viable tactic to boost prosperity - the production, trade and enjoyment of surplus usable goods and services.
The less you produce and the more you consume, the more tax you pay.
Of course, being a recipient would become an economic burden, to say the least. All those piddling forms to fill out, records to keep, meetings to attend, and so on.

The emergency safety net would still exist, but it wouldn't be pleasant to land in it. And being a "tax payer" would be an admission of failure.

Of course, those who are productive and tax exempt, have nothing to fill out nor records to keep. Government leaves them alone.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:58 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
As Galactic Emperor I would tax poverty.
It is a viable tactic to boost prosperity - the production, trade and enjoyment of surplus usable goods and services.
The less you produce and the more you consume, the more tax you pay.
Of course, being a recipient would become an economic burden, to say the least. All those piddling forms to fill out, records to keep, meetings to attend, and so on.

The emergency safety net would still exist, but it wouldn't be pleasant to land in it. And being a "tax payer" would be an admission of failure.

Of course, those who are productive and tax exempt, have nothing to fill out nor records to keep. Government leaves them alone.

I agree about taxing those whom are impoverished.

Indeed, I think it high time we tax white canes, wheelchairs, and oxygen tanks. I am also for a special tax on those with I.Q. levels below 60, say a surcharge of 1% for every I.Q. point below 60.

That'll teach 'em!

Old 03-20-2013, 08:27 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Quote:
Depends on your definition of "Galactic" and your sense of humor.

A Galactic emperor would not ban voluntary charity - just compulsory charity.
Slavery is never a viable solution for the ills of mankind.

Are you seriously okay with slavery? (Compulsory labor for the benefit of another)

The "founding principle" of the United States of America is that government was instituted to (a) secure rights and (b) govern those who consent.
That does not read "majority can impose will upon a minority" (a la democracy).

You might also read the U.S. constitution wherein Art. 4, Sec. 4, guarantees a REPUBLICAN FORM (no connection with "republic")
GOVERNMENT (Republican Form of Government)- One in which the powers of sovereignty are vested in the people and are exercised by the people ... directly ...
- - - Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition, P. 695

DEMOCRACY - That form of government in which the sovereign power resides in and is exercised by the whole body of free citizens directly or indirectly through a system of representation, as distinguished from monarchy, aristocracy, or oligarchy."
- - - Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition, P. 432
The key distinguishing feature between a republican and democratic form is sovereignty.
In the republican form, the PEOPLE individually are sovereign and directly exercise that power.
In the democratic form, the "whole body of citizens" indirectly exercise it via representation. But in truth, democratic majorities override the individual, so no individual's rights are secure. And citizens are obligated to perform civic duties, so they are subjects - not sovereigns.

As to how or why someone becomes "Galactic emperor", I suppose if he guarantees that he will help (a) secure rights and (b) govern only those who consent, he wouldn't be any worse than the District of Criminals - ahem - "Public servants" currently in office.
I hope when the real "Galactic Emperor" comes to earth, you don't roll over so quickly...put up a little fight.

Last edited by Chimuelojones; 03-20-2013 at 09:04 AM..

Old 03-20-2013, 08:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
It appears the OP just read Ayn Rand while stoned out of his mind so he believed the crap.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:01 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
we already have an emperor,, obama!!! the one..

Old 03-21-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I agree about taxing those whom are impoverished.

Indeed, I think it high time we tax white canes, wheelchairs, and oxygen tanks. I am also for a special tax on those with I.Q. levels below 60, say a surcharge of 1% for every I.Q. point below 60.
A recipient of public charity is a privileged individual, and subject to taxation.
A recipient of private charity would not be subject to taxation.
What privilege is involved with canes, wheelchairs and oxygen tanks?

Old 03-21-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
I hope when the real "Galactic Emperor" comes to earth, you don't roll over so quickly...put up a little fight.
The original post was asking for YOUR views if YOU were the Galactic Emperor.
Does this off topic reply mean you have no ideas for solutions, if you were in charge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies