Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 09:17 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,034,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Glad you mentioned "legal substance". I mean to bring it up, bacause it is so lamely bashed about as if that fact is actually relevant to the discussion.

Lots of things are "legal". Whisky is legal, wine, spirits, beer etc., Having sexual relations is too (among adults etc).

That is NOT to say that you can just go and boff your girlfriend anywhere you want. Or that you can, or should, be legally able to walk down a street drinking form a bottle of Gentleman Jack.

The point is that things that are legal are, and properly are, regulated with regards to the places they can, and places they cannot, be engaged in.

Ergo, the right to use tobacco (which I support) is, and is properly, subject to similar restrictions. Restrictions, that I assure you, are coming down the pike
Sorry, all I see here is control, control, tell others what to do, and how to think, call names when they don't agree with me... Basically ME ME ME!!! At any rate, you're free to support it in your state I suppose, just keep that nanny state crap that starts in California and NYC the Hell out of my state! It's bad enough the ban is in effect in private business's because of your fascist rules! We don't need anymore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 09:19 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,083,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Probably not, considering it's one of the oldest "vices" known to mankind... although now with all the nanny-state whiners, the new option of e-cigs is looking better to many of us. I hate giving in like that, but since I want to quit for my own health too, that just gives me added incentive. But as stubborn as I am, if you CHALLENGE me over it I'll smoke just to spite you.
Where did you get the idea that tobacco use is that old?

Old 03-20-2013, 09:20 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,604,185 times
Quote:
The "normal people?" So by virtue of simply being a non-smoker, that makes you "normal?" I think normal is highly overrated, so I don't mind being considered unique... but I hate to break it to you, being a non-smoker makes you no more or less normal than I am. Now tell us, do you have any bad habits? Or have you ever done something not 100% safe, like driving fast or rock climbing? I wonder what your carbon footprint is too.

Btw, I'm a smoker who is VERY conscientious about keeping my smoke/butts to myself - as a Californian I've been trained well. I don't smoke around other people (unless they explicitly approve), always stay the appropriate distance from public entrances, NEVER EVER throw butts out my car window (living in fire-hazardous Tahoe taught me that), etc. I give and give, never complain about the strict regulations here, but that's still not enough? Well then, all I can say is to build a bridge and get over it!

I thought conservatives hated nanny laws, but apparently that only applies to things they personally like.
This is no conservative, this is a typical liberal progressive or communista you are engaging with. I don't know why this thread wasn't locked a long time ago. It's pointless to keep feeding this troll.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
This is no conservative, this is a typical liberal progressive or communista you are engaging with. I don't know why this thread wasn't locked a long time ago. It's pointless to keep feeding this troll.
Another ASSinine comment. Go read the rest of my posts on other threads. I am the prototypical Conservative. For example you will find comment such as "Cut the Federal Budget by 40% - no rush, take 3 years to do so".

The fact that you completely misread me speaks volumes about your mental acuity (or dearth thereof).

Old 03-20-2013, 09:25 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,034,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Oh come on claudhopper..... The trolls keep taking the bait, so might as well have fun with them.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:28 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,480,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Thanks. I'll look that up. do you still smoke the real thing?
No, I quit a while back. Then I became disabled. A couple months into that I tried a friend's ecig just to see what it was like. I found it helped so much with dealing with being newly disabled. I was long, long off the nicotine habit but the old familiar routine of just going through the smoking motions itself was such a comfort and stress relief during a really rough patch. I've been getting my own ecigs ever since. It's one of the few true pleasures I have now that I'm house-bound and I can now smoke guilt free. The ecig "smoke" is just vapor so it dissipates indoors without leaving any stains or smell.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Awwww... I was just on the White Cloud website, and it looks like they're not available here in CA.

I need a brand that can be purchased in-store, since I'd hate to run out and have to wait for a delivery - plus it's hard for me to receive deliveries, since I live in an apartment (and I'm rarely home when the front office is open to pick them up). Guess I'll try the Blue brand after all, as they're sold in many stores around here.
Yeah they don't have them locally here either. I mail order. I read such a glowing review of them on a website that I mail ordered one of the disposable ones to try it out and when it just blew away all the other ones I'd tried then I ordered a kit and have been mail ordering replacement cartridges ever since.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Oh come on claudhopper..... The trolls keep taking the bait, so might as well have fun with them.
Your "brilliance" is showing again - like a lump of soft coal, no, I take that back, like some peat.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
People ARE free to do it. Why must your side throw out so many Red Herrings and Strawmen. NOBODY is talking about taking away your rights to your drug - nobody, not me, not the law, nobody.

What we are discussing, in broad terms, is that fact that smokers disregard wholesale the rights of others not to inflicted with the filthy effluent smokers produce in voluminous quantities, and take no effort at all, save some token here and there, to prevent it from adversely impacting others. Tobacco smoke, among the usual things found in smoke, contains a poison called Nicotine - a drug in lower doses that gives them the high that keeps them coming back joint after joint. That smoke gives regular, i.e. non-addicts, headaches as well as respiratory, ocular and olfactory distress. Non-smokers have a priority right not to be inflicted by, assaulted by, that tobacco effluent. Smokers, OTOH, who are engaging in an anti-social activity, are under a moral, and soon, legal, obligation not to assault others with their effluent. To that end, laws, made necessary by the intransigent nature of tobacco addicts, have been crafted implemented and expanded, and will continue to be, in order to protect the innocent non-smokers from the smokers and their tobacco effluent.

Smokers could have headed off such measures at the pass, so to speak, by adopting a culture of respect for the non-smoker, but they have refused wholesale to give even the tiniest fraction of an inch towards respecting the priority rights of the non-addicts not to be inflicted with the toxic smoke.

You can refer back to the old adage about swinging your fists.

It goes like this "Your (or My) right to swing your fists ends at the other fellow's nose". Think about that. That principle, which is part of legal doctrine, asserts two things. First, that you DO have a right to swing your fists. You can shadow box, or whatever all you wish to. Secondly, it states that the right to swing your fists is not absolute, and stops when it encounters the rights of others not to be assaulted.

Smokers embrace the first en masse and doggedly, while denying the second part even exists, or that it even should exist. In their world, their right to swing their fist is absolute, and that it is your nose's obligation to get out of the way, and that is just not how civilization works.
I realize you say it is a right for smokers to smoke in a hut on a desert island. But from what I've seen you don't support the right of a business owner to allow their business to be smoking, or to let people in a cigar shop smoke in the shop, or to allow an apartment landlord to let people smoke in his apartments, etc. So while I recognize and appreciate that you don't want to ban smoking entirely I still think your restrictions cross the line into being an infringement on our guaranteed freedoms as Americans. I think it is fine to ban smoking in public, fine for a business owner to ban smoking in his business, fine for smoking to be banned in an apartment or condo complex if the owner wants that - but not fine for a government ban on any of those things.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
No, I quit a while back. Then I became disabled. A couple months into that I tried a friend's ecig just to see what it was like. I found it helped so much with dealing with being newly disabled. I was long, long off the nicotine habit but the old familiar routine of just going through the smoking motions itself was such a comfort and stress relief during a really rough patch. I've been getting my own ecigs ever since. It's one of the few true pleasures I have now that I'm house-bound and I can now smoke guilt free. The ecig "smoke" is just vapor so it dissipates indoors without leaving any stains or smell.
I am sorry to hear of your condition, and glad to find you have found a way to ease things for you a bit.

If you ever get a chance, and haven't yet, get hooked on Youtube. There is so much there. I watching a video last night about how a group of restorers moved a 100 ton steam locomotive form South Africa back to Glasgow where it was built. It was fascinating. Whatever your interests in life, there are reams of video's on YouTube to entertain and inform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies