Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 09:39 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
How many states does the United States have?
Good question, asked of the right person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 11:01 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
ever notice that the left calls us stupid, or nuts? yet most if not all of their ideas crash and burn?
You just made my point , thanks!

Old 08-23-2013, 11:41 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,743,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
You just made my point , thanks!
How so?

Old 08-24-2013, 02:37 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,933,885 times
Can't see the little subsidiaries giving up those giant commingled funds they get from corp DC. It's allowed them all to make way too much.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:39 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,503,364 times
Quote:
How many states does the United States have?
50. Now tell us why you believe each state would become it's own nation. I don't believe they would. Especially since this thread is about decentralization, not the abolishment of the federal government.

Even if the federal government disappeared, why do you think there would be 50 countries?

Also, earlier in the thread, you mentioned breaking up the American economy is a bad idea... are you insinuating that the U.S. economy is in good shape? If America is not decentralized, it will fall apart USSR style when the rest of the world stops accepting USD as the reserve currency. The American economy is in terrible shape, yet you say it is a "terrible idea" to break up the economy... can you tell us what the bright spot in the economy is?

Old 08-24-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Sounds like the classic "new, improved, libertarian, playbook. Decentralizing the Fed is just the tip of the Libertarian playbook. Once that was done, the libertarians would complain about the states taking away personal freedoms. Then they would decentralize the state government.
Ultimately, there would be various libertarian fifedoms controlled by a few rich individuals and a whole lot of poor serfs labeled "personally irresponsible", wandering the countryside looking for charity.
Thanks for giving me a political label based on a few posts worth of information, rather than asking me what my political ideals are. I can tell you are really good at transfer of thought with the poor communication skills displayed. I will try anyway.

This post shows that you do not have any idea what Libertarians believe, that you have no idea what I believe, and that you like to make conclusions about people without more than a few posts worth of information.

The libertarians complain NOW about state governments stealing freedom, so I don't get your point. The point to libertarians is that all humans have the same rights, and that no elected position or badges grant extra rights. Libertarians tend to be against ANYONE who uses force to strip away peoples rights.

Right now we have various fascist fiefdoms around the world, controlled by a few rich individuals, and a whole lot a poor serfs wandering the countryside looking for charity (gov handouts.)...

I know you won't watch it, because your normalcy bias will prevent you from taking in new information and concepts, but you want to see what the worst case scenario of Libertarianism is?

Why Libertarianism Is So Dangerous - YouTube

I am not a libertarian, but I will defend them completely against Republicans and Democrats.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:13 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
50. Now tell us why you believe each state would become it's own nation. I don't believe they would. Especially since this thread is about decentralization, not the abolishment of the federal government.

Even if the federal government disappeared, why do you think there would be 50 countries?

Also, earlier in the thread, you mentioned breaking up the American economy is a bad idea... are you insinuating that the U.S. economy is in good shape? If America is not decentralized, it will fall apart USSR style when the rest of the world stops accepting USD as the reserve currency. The American economy is in terrible shape, yet you say it is a "terrible idea" to break up the economy... can you tell us what the bright spot in the economy is?
It is impossible to predict what would happen if you removed the federal government, but I doubt the 50 states would stay together. You think the American economy is in terrible shape now, how do you think it would get better if the states were individual countries? Some of them might do okay but most of them would struggle without the help of the federal government.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
It is impossible to predict what would happen if you removed the federal government, but I doubt the 50 states would stay together. You think the American economy is in terrible shape now, how do you think it would get better if the states were individual countries? Some of them might do okay but most of them would struggle without the help of the federal government.

The federal government is insolvent. Do you not know what 17 trillion dollars of debt means? I don't understand how you can think that this debt is not a burden. We are printing billions of dollars each month. The federal government does not hold up the states, quite the opposite. The fedgov robs as much as they can from the states, and then it borrows and prints the rest... AND we still go further into debt as a nation. If you can't see the insolvency, I suggest you pick up an economics book or three... BUT....

I wasn't asking you for another question, damn.

Slow down.

Read.

Comprehend.

I never said the 50 states would stay together if the federal government disappeared, instead I asked you why you have this silly notion that all 50 would become their own nation, and that they wouldn't join together to form larger nations such as New England, Cascadia, etc.

I don't want a question as a response, I don't want you to talk about how silly it would be to have 50 countries in this particular geographic designation. Answer the damn question, why do you believe all 50 states would form independent nations?

Old 08-24-2013, 11:09 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Thanks for giving me a political label based on a few posts worth of information, rather than asking me what my political ideals are. I can tell you are really good at transfer of thought with the poor communication skills displayed. I will try anyway.

This post shows that you do not have any idea what Libertarians believe, that you have no idea what I believe, and that you like to make conclusions about people without more than a few posts worth of information.

The libertarians complain NOW about state governments stealing freedom, so I don't get your point. The point to libertarians is that all humans have the same rights, and that no elected position or badges grant extra rights. Libertarians tend to be against ANYONE who uses force to strip away peoples rights.

Right now we have various fascist fiefdoms around the world, controlled by a few rich individuals, and a whole lot a poor serfs wandering the countryside looking for charity (gov handouts.)...

I know you won't watch it, because your normalcy bias will prevent you from taking in new information and concepts, but you want to see what the worst case scenario of Libertarianism is?

Why Libertarianism Is So Dangerous - YouTube

I am not a libertarian, but I will defend them completely against Republicans and Democrats.
My post was not directly aimed at you personally or your beliefs. But more to the concept of secession in general. My apologies that you were offended by it. It is my belief that secessionists are operating from a libertarian philosophical standpoint. I have drawn my own conclusions of what the new libertarian movement's foundational precepts are. That's all. I meant no offense to you.

Edit to add: I also do not agree with any of your conclusions concerning the stability, viability and future of the Federal government. That may be the nexus for our inherent disagreement on principles. I suggest you don't ask the questions if you don't want the answers. Have a good day, sir.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:12 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
The federal government is insolvent. Do you not know what 17 trillion dollars of debt means? I don't understand how you can think that this debt is not a burden. We are printing billions of dollars each month. The federal government does not hold up the states, quite the opposite. The fedgov robs as much as they can from the states, and then it borrows and prints the rest... AND we still go further into debt as a nation. If you can't see the insolvency, I suggest you pick up an economics book or three... BUT....

I wasn't asking you for another question, damn.

Slow down.

Read.

Comprehend.

I never said the 50 states would stay together if the federal government disappeared, instead I asked you why you have this silly notion that all 50 would become their own nation, and that they wouldn't join together to form larger nations such as New England, Cascadia, etc.

I don't want a question as a response, I don't want you to talk about how silly it would be to have 50 countries in this particular geographic designation. Answer the damn question, why do you believe all 50 states would form independent nations?
You know the debt doesn't disappear if we don't have a federal government, right? As for 50 countries, I am sure some states would link together, some would be invaded by other states and outside countries, and some would be able to hold their own. I personally would not like to see that kind of instability in our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies