Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 10:10 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Good news. This needs to be done with every program. It costs a lot up front, but will pay off and make the programs more efficient.
The only cost to the FCC was creating a master database that the phone companies had to use.
The money they spent upfront surely has already been recouped.

41% of $2 billion is what US taxpayers saved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 10:11 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,210,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Why so snarky? I didn't make any accusations.
You're right about the snark--I misunderstood your tone. My apologies.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:14 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,680,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Where do the funds come from?

They come from fees (aka TAXES) that the phone companies place on their customers (aka the TAX PAYERS.)

It's a perfect scheme, the phone companies gain a new customer base they wouldn't normally have while their paying customers foot the bill all under the lie that they're helping poor people. All this happens while the gov. pushes for it to get bigger with no oversight in order to buy votes from people.
I fear the post you and I referred to is typical of liberal thinking. Since they don't see a place on their tax return that has a specific box for 'do you want to help provide free phones for welfare slugs', they think the program isn't paid for by tax. I just simply can't understand how these fools come to that kind of conclusion. Where the holy hell do they think the money comes from? I would really like to know. I can't imagine being that empty headed.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You know..it was landline phones. They went cellphone in 2008 and didn't revamp the program to deal with cellphones.

How many multiple landline phones do you think they could get for free ?
Pretty hard to scam that program since the line/phone are fixed and couldn't be hidden if you wanted 5 more lines installed.

The government just doesn't care because it's not their money and they'll just ask for more money to cover increasing costs. They have no incentive to watch costs. The way government funding works is that if you don't use it this year you won't get it next year.
Sorry, but that's so twisted. The government should have been in the middle of it to begin with, but instead the Reagan administration left it up to industry. I don't like big government, but sometimes the government (gasp!) actually has an important role to play. Why would you trust a corporation to administer a program in a way that benefits people vs. themselves? That's not how corporations are designed--they're profit driven. If they can make money, it's good. If they can't then they aren't going to waste their time. When you give tax dollars to corporations and privatize programs like this without federal oversight, this is what you're going to get.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:18 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,043,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I fear the post you and I referred to is typical of liberal thinking. Since they don't see a place on their tax return that has a specific box for 'do you want to help provide free phones for welfare slugs', they think the program isn't paid for by tax. I just simply can't understand how these fools come to that kind of conclusion. Where the holy hell do they think the money comes from? I would really like to know. I can't imagine being that empty headed.
There's no reason to fear it like it's unknown, that's exactly how these people think.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:19 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,043,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Sorry, but that's so twisted. The government should have been in the middle of it to begin with, but instead the Reagan administration left it up to industry. I don't like big government, but sometimes the government (gasp!) actually has an important role to play. Why would you trust a corporation to administer a program in a way that benefits people vs. themselves? That's not how corporations are designed--they're profit driven. If they can make money, it's good. If they can't then they aren't going to waste their time. When you give tax dollars to corporations and privatize programs like this without federal oversight, this is what you're going to get.
I don't trust the gov. to do anything right or honestly any more or less than I trust corporations. They're both for profit organizations, some profit in cash and some profit in votes but they're both very much "for profit".

Old 03-18-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Look, with landline phones the rules in place worked.

When they moved to cellphones in 2008 they needed to change the rules and they didn't.
Don't blame Reagan because there were no cellphones under him.

Blame the FCC for not reviewing their rules when they made the switch.
The old landline program gave you free local calls, 911 and free toll free calls each month.
There was no need for multiple lines in one home.

Blame corporations for a government not doing it's job properly.
The FCC told companies to let customers self-certify.
How is that the fault of the phone company ?

The cost of the program tripled when they went to cellphones and it never raised an eyebrow in the FCC ?

Old 03-18-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
What the h*ll does this stupid rant about liberal or conservative have to do with this? There's a difference between a tax and a fee collected by industry--do you understand that? . According to the links on this thread, the phone companies aren't required to charge an additional fee to cover the program (they could pay for it out of pocket), but they have the authority to charge it, and they choose to charge it. They had a nice little racket going. They had zero federal oversight, they could send out phones without oversight, and they got a ton of customers who were guaranteed to pay. If that isn't a fox in the hen house scenario, I don't know what is. You guys are so busy trying to blame poor elderly people that you're not looking at who the real criminal is.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:22 AM

The FCC even admitted it messed up when it made the switch in testimony last year and said they would tighten up the program. They did and now we see the results.

I don't know why some are defending the government; they admitted they screwed up.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
What the h*ll does this stupid rant about liberal or conservative have to do with this? There's a difference between a tax and a fee collected by industry--do you understand that? . According to the links on this thread, the phone companies aren't required to charge an additional fee to cover the program (they could pay for it out of pocket), but they have the authority to charge it, and they choose to charge it. They had a nice little racket going. They had zero federal oversight, they could send out phones without oversight, and they got a ton of customers who were guaranteed to pay. If that isn't a fox in the hen house scenario, I don't know what is. You guys are so busy trying to blame poor elderly people that you're not looking at who the real criminal is.
No there isn't when that mandated fee is put forward by the government.
Too bad that didn't go to the supreme court because it would have ended up like the Obamacare "penalty" that turned out to be a tax so it could be upheld.

When it's government mandated and controlled it doesn't matter who collects it because it goes right to the government. A wolf in sheep's clothing is still a wolf and a rose by any other name is still a rose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies