Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 08:36 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,002,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Based on the records of what he did and said to the families of the victims in that courtroom I'd have to say that I'd end up in prison right next to him if he had shot and killed one of my kids. There isn't a police officer or courtroom bailiff that would have stopped me from choking that POS to death with my bare hands right there if he said those things to me.

Some people just need killing and this guy needs killing. Not as a deterrent to others, just as a means of removing him from the gene pool instantly.
In that instance I'd have a hard time restraining myself as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 08:37 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,660,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I agree with you regarding domestic violence history and the horrific abuse many suffer who end up killing others. When a child grows up in such violent circumstances, the damage that is done can certainly lead to exactly this kind of situation.

Fortunately the USSC ruled that we cannot kill people who are or were juveniles when they committed the crimes. That's why this boy did not receive the death penalty.
His upbringing sounds horrific; his father sounds like a monster. He was yet another shy loner who was bullied by his classmates. Yet people on here are crowing for his death.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:40 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,273,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
So what is the answer? Did this person consider the victims and their families when he chose cold blooded murder? Theoretically, why should he not have to forfeit his life for his evil act? And if jail isn't a deterrent either, then what is the solution? Kind of a moral dilemma that we have to struggle with, I suppose?
Jail for life is the answer. It is a deterrent for some. My argument is why is it that those who argue that the death penalty shouldn't be used because obviously it is not a perfect deterrent but yet they don't argue the same for prison time when obviously it's not a perfect deterrent either.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:40 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,050,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
His upbringing sounds horrific; his father sounds like a monster. He was yet another shy loner who was bullied by his classmates. Yet people on here are crowing for his death.
I was shy and was bullied by some classmates just like everyone was at some point in their lives, I didn't shoot and kill anyone in the cafeteria in school.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I was shy and was bullied by some classmates just like everyone was at some point in their lives, I didn't shoot and kill anyone in the cafeteria in school.
Yes, that's true for most people who are bullied. Yet it's rare to find a school killer who wasn't bullied. So maybe we should cut down on bullying.

And you probably didn't have a father with "a long rap sheet. In 2002, he was charged with attempted murder, assault and kidnapping, among other charges. "

Combine domestic violence + bullying at school + don't forget the essential ingredient, GUNS == and you can get tragedies like this.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
You think he's going to "reproduce" in prison?
Charles "Tex" Watson has 4 kids.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:43 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,050,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Yes, that's true for most people who are bullied. Yet it's rare to find a school killer who wasn't bullied. So maybe we should cut down on bullying.
We should also cut down on the ability of students to report bullying since that would technically be defending themselves and you're against people having the right to defend themselves against someone who intends on doing physical harm right? A child that is being bullied should just call the cops and wait for help right?

Old 03-20-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
We should also cut down on the ability of students to report bullying since that would technically be defending themselves and you're against people having the right to defend themselves against someone who intends on doing physical harm right? A child that is being bullied should just call the cops and wait for help right?
What the heck are you talking about? I have never said someone has no right to defend themselves, and I'm certainly for children reporting when they are bullied. I have also said that a kid should be able to walk away from a bully without the onus that he HAS to defend himself by fighting.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:50 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,415,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Jail for life is the answer. It is a deterrent for some. My argument is why is it that those who argue that the death penalty shouldn't be used because obviously it is not a perfect deterrent but yet they don't argue the same for prison time when obviously it's not a perfect deterrent either.
Death is different. In fact, people are wrongfully convicted and sent to death rows across this country. THAT is why people urge an end to the death penalty. If you have already killed the person and later you find out he/she was not guilty, you can't fix it, you can't bring that person back to life.

If, however, that person has been sentenced to life or life without, then you can do something about a wrongful conviction because that person is still alive. We have all seen death row inmates exonerated after DNA evidence prove they did not do the crime. Well, not all cases have DNA evidence, and mistakes can be made there as well. There were many, many executions prior to DNA technology, and no doubt mistakes were made. One innocent life sacrificed is far too many. Also when you execute an innocent, the real killer goes free.

I oppose the death penalty for two reasons. I don't believe that killing people is the way to teach people not to kill. And the justice system is imperfect therefore it is impossible to be sure you are not killing an innocent person at some point. The death penalty cannot be fairly administered.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Death is different. In fact, people are wrongfully convicted and sent to death rows across this country. THAT is why people urge an end to the death penalty. If you have already killed the person and later you find out he/she was not guilty, you can't fix it, you can't bring that person back to life.
We know this guy is guilty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies