Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 09:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Suffice it to say there is an increase despite our so called improvements and doctors are stumped as to the reason why.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Are you sure about that? I'm not a wheat farmer, but my understanding is that our export to import ratio on wheat is about 100 to 1. Even the Chinese are looking to import more US wheat because of the higher gluten content--as the country becomes more westernized, consumers in China want white fluffy bread too.

China looks to increase U.S. wheat imports | Government content from Western Farm Press
Wheat gluten, not wheat.
About 70% of wheat gluten in the US is imported from China.

Wheat gluten (food) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-21-2013, 09:54 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
I just found this--it's an older article from 2007, but it looks like we don't import a lot of wheat, but that 70% of the wheat GLUTEN used in the US is (or was) imported. Interesting. Gluten is used an additive in some processed foods and pet foods.

Why do we need to import wheat gluten from China? - Slate Magazine

Edit--I posted while you were posting!

Old 03-21-2013, 09:55 AM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
It's not technology, it's vaccines.
Linking to opinion pieces with anecdotal evidence doesn't support your cause.

There is no statistical evidence to support a link between vaccines and autism. The best numerical underpinning comes from a Danish study - based on every Danish child born between 1991 and 1997, that's roughly half a million children, with about 18% not being vaccinated. No difference in rates of autism whatsoever.

We're better at spotting autism, and - dare I say it - it's probably becoming overdiagnosed.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:56 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Autism is genetic. pure and simple

are a vaccination, or even a certain food a POSSIBLE TRIGGER, sure its possible, but it is entirely GENETIC otherwise

=============
so according to you,, autism is mercury posining, and everyone who get inoculations is getting lethal doses of mercury

here is a question ,one that I have asked a couple of times in other threads,,,,,but people like you REFUSED to answer.

if we know mercury is a poison, and everyone gets the inoculations, and autism is a/effect caused by the mercury in inoculations.....then WHY are the instances only 1/105 (less than 1%)??????

sorry but you anit-vacine peoples refusal to answer..shows that you do really know.....its genetic....if it was solely the innoculations,,it would be 100%..not less than 1%

even if someone were to find a LINK between the innoculations and autism/asbergers, it would still be genetic, the innoculations might be a TRIGGER in CERTAIN GENETICS

Old 03-21-2013, 09:56 AM

90 posts, read 344,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I read a study that is linking autism to air pollution. The article was saying that pregnant mothers and new born babies exposed to more air pollution have an increased chance of developing autism. I don't know if that is actually the cause, but I feel that environmental factors are playing a role.
If that were true, all children in China and India would be autistic and that is just not the case. Air pollution in the US has been on a downward track since the 1970s. It's hard to attribute anything to decreasing air pollution.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:57 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,315 times
This is kind of alarming.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I just found this--it's an older article from 2007, but it looks like we don't import a lot of wheat, but that 70% of the wheat GLUTEN used in the US is (or was) imported. Interesting. Gluten is used an additive in some processed foods and pet foods.

Why do we need to import wheat gluten from China? - Slate Magazine

Edit--I posted while you were posting!
Don't you remember the big pet food scare where pets were dropping dead from kidney failure ?
It was traced back to China. They were importing melamine labeled as "wheat gluten".

That's when I first became aware of it.

And when the olympics were in China they had just uncovered another melamine scare with it being in infant formula.

Gluten is used in a lot of processed foods to add substance or thicken up sauces.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:03 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,943,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Peanut allergies have tripled in number over the past decade.

And practically every kid is familiar with and grew up with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
Better testing is not causing this increase.

Peanut Allergy Cases Triple in 10 Years | LiveScience
No one is certain what's behind the spike in food allergies.

This could actually support the "we're too clean" theories. The time frames mentioned correlate neatly with the peanut-free classroom era. (One kid with allergies causing the removal of peanuts for all)

Old 03-21-2013, 10:03 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,768,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katheh View Post
If that were true, all children in China and India would be autistic and that is just not the case. Air pollution in the US has been on a downward track since the 1970s. It's hard to attribute anything to decreasing air pollution.
Why would all of them have it? They could have a higher rate because of the air pollution, but to say all would doesn't make sense. Diagnosing children in India and China and comparing those numbers to the USA would be hard because of the lack of quality care in those countries that are still developing nations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies