Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 08:20 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Helium is a tried n true method. When the authorities found out, they clamped down on rentals of helium tanks.

My wife is a florist. No license needed. Just call for them to bring two new tanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 09:01 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
My wife is a florist. No license needed. Just call for them to bring two new tanks.
Interesting, I thought they were harder to get these days.

This article is from 2007

Helium in an 'exit bag' new choice for suicide

Kwantlen criminologist Ogden said the 19 deaths recorded by the Coroner's Service under-represent the number of deaths in B.C. involving helium.
"This is just the tip of the iceberg," said Ogden, who has researched the assisted-death movement for many years.
The figures don't include cases where death is assisted by activists who remove all equipment or evidence so that the death is attributed to an underlying illness or undetermined causes, Ogden said.
"I have data provided to me by activists in the right-to-die movement between 1999 and 2002 on over 100 helium-related cases in North America that were unreported in any forensic literature."
Ogden said helium inhalation has become the preferred method among activists in the Final Exit Network, an underground U.S. group which helps people kill themselves.
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=ce4139ae-d635-4030-ac92-a7b7d6fab09d

Old 03-24-2013, 09:13 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
More intrusion on the part of gov't to save people from themselves. Will they be raiding stores that sell glue or spray paint? Of all the things kids do to get high, this seems pretty harmless to me - something else is the motivation for these raids imo. They can't even list one death from noz. All this for a misdemeanor?

Read more: [URL="http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/22/feds-raid-17-california-businesses-for-nitrous-oxide/#ixzz2ONQRMxPm"]Feds raid 17 California businesses for nitrous oxide | Fox News[/URL]

[URL="http://news.yahoo.com/feds-raid-17-calif-businesses-nitrous-oxide-001509842.html"]Feds raid 17 Calif. businesses for nitrous oxide[/URL]
It is far safer for government agents to do this sort of "enforcement masturbation" that go after real criminals for real offenses.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Interesting, I thought they were harder to get these days.

This article is from 2007

Helium in an 'exit bag' new choice for suicide

Kwantlen criminologist Ogden said the 19 deaths recorded by the Coroner's Service under-represent the number of deaths in B.C. involving helium.
"This is just the tip of the iceberg," said Ogden, who has researched the assisted-death movement for many years.
The figures don't include cases where death is assisted by activists who remove all equipment or evidence so that the death is attributed to an underlying illness or undetermined causes, Ogden said.
"I have data provided to me by activists in the right-to-die movement between 1999 and 2002 on over 100 helium-related cases in North America that were unreported in any forensic literature."
Ogden said helium inhalation has become the preferred method among activists in the Final Exit Network, an underground U.S. group which helps people kill themselves.
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=ce4139ae-d635-4030-ac92-a7b7d6fab09d

Maybe in Canada or California, but not in Texas.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:53 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Everyone has choices in life. Education works way better than restrictions.
Please, keep me safe from myself.
Um, with regards to older adults such as yourself. Great.

When it comes to the 13yo in the article you were responding to, not so much.

For younger people and those with mental limitations it's not unreasonable to offer them protections.

Otherwise you get all kinds of scum getting alzheimer patients to put them in their will, push drugs on young kids, take advantage of the mentally handicapped.

Hey, I know you are competant...consider others that aren't.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Um, with regards to older adults such as yourself. Great.

When it comes to the 13yo in the article you were responding to, not so much.

For younger people and those with mental limitations it's not unreasonable to offer them protections.

Otherwise you get all kinds of scum getting alzheimer patients to put them in their will, push drugs on young kids, take advantage of the mentally handicapped.

Hey, I know you are competant...consider others that aren't.

Yes, that is what a court of our peers is for. Not you to decide.
Intervention before habeas corpus is not liberty. It is tyranny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies