Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 01:56 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Nice thread and discussion.

I suppose the McCall quote shares the view of many Oregonians. Let's face it, Oregon has about 4 million folks and California has 40 million. California scares us to death. Legions of folks roll in with money we can never make here, and buy up everything. That is why we like our public lands. Can't buy those. We are misanthropes, but we are not alone. Coloradoans fear being overrun by Texans. Vermonters fear M*******s and New Yorkers, etc. The main wealth we have is our land and scenery, and we don't want it ruined by hordes of urban expats in Range Rovers. So understandable, but the quote is hypocritical and rude.

All the same, McCall's attitude and background show some common origins. Most environmentalists come from priviledge, and their concern is a blend of real appreciation for nature in an aesthetic sense and a healthy dose of NIMBYism. That said, it works. I would put the physical beauty of Oregon up against a "right to develop" state like Texas or Oklahoma anytime. Public lands add a lot to one's experience in living in an area. The fact that a Republican could say that without being branded a RINO points to the fact that the GOP was a bigger tent then than now.
Well, I can't help but feel offended because I'm not from Oregon. I used to live in the state of Washington for a time, and then moved to Georgia. I live in Georgia and there are alot of people from Ohio, California, Illinois, New Jersey, Florida, Michigan, and other states. I don't mind one bit. I feel like they have brought some contributions and made it a better state. As for Oregon's case, I'm not a misanthrope. I take stuff personal because I never really had the feeling of "home town". I think differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 02:37 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, I can't help but feel offended because I'm not from Oregon. I used to live in the state of Washington for a time, and then moved to Georgia. I live in Georgia and there are alot of people from Ohio, California, Illinois, New Jersey, Florida, Michigan, and other states. I don't mind one bit. I feel like they have brought some contributions and made it a better state. As for Oregon's case, I'm not a misanthrope. I take stuff personal because I never really had the feeling of "home town". I think differently.
I say screw them (or us-I'm an Oregonian). Move here when you get a job, and ignore them. Most Oregonians are form somewhere else, so they don't really care much, if at all. They just say stuff to scare off the timid. Don't be timid.

I wish we were a bit more friendly here. Southerners are more gracious, I think.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:52 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,842 times
Quote:
Would this be the GOP that want to axe the EPA, say "screw global warming," and "drill baby drill?"

I have a feeling McCall would not have agreed with you.
Yawn.

The GOP created the EPA and have expanded several times.

There is no proof of global warming should so why should we base public policy on it.

And wha't wrong with drilling oil? It's been working great for decades. Do we wanna go back to life in the 1800s?

You got anything besides silly little talking points? Maybe you shpuld stop watching so much MSNBC and pay attention to reality.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:24 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
I say screw them (or us-I'm an Oregonian). Move here when you get a job, and ignore them. Most Oregonians are form somewhere else, so they don't really care much, if at all. They just say stuff to scare off the timid. Don't be timid.

I wish we were a bit more friendly here. Southerners are more gracious, I think.
I've ran into some ungracious southerners. I'm looking for jobs all over the country. I've applied to a few jobs around the Portland area.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've ran into some ungracious southerners. I'm looking for jobs all over the country. I've applied to a few jobs around the Portland area.
Good luck to you!

Old 03-26-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Yawn.

The GOP created the EPA and have expanded several times.

There is no proof of global warming should so why should we base public policy on it.

And wha't wrong with drilling oil? It's been working great for decades. Do we wanna go back to life in the 1800s?

You got anything besides silly little talking points? Maybe you shpuld stop watching so much MSNBC and pay attention to reality.
The bolded is precisely my point. THIS GOP would never do that. Protecting the environment is one of the most conservative of ideals, but modern republicans prefer to bow at the altar or St. Limbaugh.

Your second sentence states how far you folks have fallen from the ranks of the rational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies