Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 05:57 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,845,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
All over the world the people with the darker skin are discriminated against by the people in power who have lighter skin. This is especially true with African Americans.

Many people say the main reason black people in America are discriminated against is they have black or dark skin. Do you think this is the true reason for the discrimination and hate or is it something else.

If the real reason is something other than their physical skin color then what is it?

Who is more likely to be discriminated against in the US? A black guy in a white neighborhood or a white guy in a black neighborhood?

Old 03-27-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
African Americans are discriminated against because people are dumb and insecure. People who have good self esteem don't worry about the color of some ones skin.
What's the government's self esteem level?

Affirmative action in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-27-2013, 05:59 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,490,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
I think a lot of it is simply how you're raised aka what your parents tell you to think?
Then again, my parents were pretty prejudiced and I'm not.. but when I've read about white supremacists the common thread seems to be they're extremely uneducated and were raised to hate anyone non white.
True however whites taught to be racist are far fewer by percentage than other races...blacks and other races tend to teach racism at the community level still....and that tends to be a major problem.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
My experience is that white people dislike people(ANY people) more based on their actions...
...or income tax bracket.

A lot of white people would rather have Mr. and Mrs. Obama as neighbors than white trash.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:41 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,394,389 times
The concept of "race" as Americans understand it is an ideology that was created to justify and legitimize the Atlantic slave trade and (just as important) to give poor laborers of European ancestry a stake in the colonial class hierarchy, so that even the poorest "white" laborer could still have some social advantage, compared to "black" slaves.

There is no biological basis for race, but the social effects of racism are real.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:10 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,621,300 times
If you are white in S. Africa you have a hard time, get teased. Albino kids in Africa suffer discrimination. Perception is difficult to over come. While slavery has ended in America, peoples perceptions of blacks as inferior will take a lot longer. IMO, a lot longer than a generation.

http://www.franckvogel.com/uk/photo/...ino/albino.htm

Perception is albino body parts posses magical powers. So they kill them and sell them. It happens everywhere because everywhere there are people who aren't tolerant of differences.

http://www.theworld.org/2009/07/albi...ion-in-africa/

Old 03-27-2013, 07:54 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,885,698 times
My Grandmother, who is in her mid 70's is has a light skin complexion. She could almost pass for someone who is white. I hate to admit it but she seems to look down on those African Americans of darker skin. So to answer, yes.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:20 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,664,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Someone once wrote: "Not all conservatives are idiots, but most idiots are conservative."
I don't really agree with that statement, but I do strongly believe this one: not all conservatives are racists, but most racists are conservatives.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:30 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,996,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Didn't Spike Lee even do a movie on this, School Daze, based on his own experiences attending a black college, and the perceived racism related to skin tone bias and hair quality even within the African-American community?

Or as Roger Ebert said, "There is no doubt in my mind that "School Daze," in its own way, is one of the most honest and revealing movies I've ever seen about modern middle-class black life in America."
I don't think it is any different than the hair color skin tone eye color issues within the white community.

People can be silly when it comes to things like that. Blonds have more fun is the dumbest things I've heard.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:49 AM

82 posts, read 150,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
All over the world the people with the darker skin are discriminated against by the people in power who have lighter skin. This is especially true with African Americans.

Many people say the main reason black people in America are discriminated against is they have black or dark skin. Do you think this is the true reason for the discrimination and hate or is it something else.

If the real reason is something other than their physical skin color then what is it?
I don't usually race bait but that's actually a good question. Yes they are discriminated against for being black, just like every race is discriminated against. Many of the stereotypes however are true and every race has a cross to bear. For whites, everybody automatically assumes we're racist. Asians, everybody assumes they can't drive and are extremely self centered. Blacks, everybody assumes they're violent and loud. Middle Easterners, everybody assumes they're terrorists and muslims. Latinos, everybody thinks they're dumb and dirty.

In the end, everybody is discriminated against and everybody is racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.