Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 01:57 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
All over the world the people with the darker skin are discriminated against by the people in power who have lighter skin. This is especially true with African Americans.

Many people say the main reason black people in America are discriminated against is they have black or dark skin. Do you think this is the true reason for the discrimination and hate or is it something else.

If the real reason is something other than their physical skin color then what is it?
A little birdy told me African Japanese have a harder time than African Americans.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:00 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I think it is because black people in this country are responsible for more crime, are the majority in prisons, are poorer than other races etc. These factors does not help. I mean, Indians for example. Whenever I see a person from India I always think of them as pretty well to do, hard working, successful.
Obviously the blacks who are responsible for crimes are not the majority of all blacks but they stick out, they make the news.

It makes it harder for the rest.

Black people in this country have a disadvantage for sure.
I don't really think so. Higher crime rates and higher imprisonment rates don't help much. However, you cannot downplay the fact that there are people who are just plain prejudice. Prejudice and racism have never went away. Criminals might make it harder for Blacks, but consider this. Racism and prejudice have just become more covert. Where as before, no one had to have a good reason for being a racist. Nowadays, people use "statistics" to justify being prejudice.

There isn't anything I can do at the present moment about criminals who happen to be Black. If I were to go up to one of them and say "Stop committing crimes, you are embarrassing me and the rest of your race", I don't know if said person would listen. Why? You have to understand how a criminal(of any race) thinks. There is an attitude of "Look out for #1 and forget everyone else". And I would also have to consider that some of the criminals who happen to be Black might make fun of me for "acting White".

It is alot more complicated than you think.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Scot View Post
I believe in statistics.
Well, that is the difference between you and me. My point of view is different. I have seen these statistics. I also ask myself these questions: How do these statistics represent the individual? What do these statistics have to do with ME as an individual? Why should an individual be judged based on "group statistics"?

Old 03-31-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
The news media goes out of its way to under report black on white crime, and they also bend over backwards to avoid mentioning the race of criminals.
You are trying to avert from the questions I was asking you. What do the have to do with what I am asking YOU? You still haven't answered MY questions.

Do you believe in racial hierarchy? Yes or No?(this is a yes or no question)

How do statistics represent the individual?

Why should an individual be judged based on "group statistics"?

Old 03-31-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Law of Probability.
I don't care about the law of probability. This is the USA. One's individual merit is suppose to come first. That is how it is suppose to be.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:12 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,141,570 times
Quote:
Law of Probability.
That's about it, but people only want PC answers.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
That's about it, but people only want PC answers.
Answer this question: How does "Law of Probability" suppose to help those persons for whom the statistics don't represent?

For instance, I am quite aware that 50% of the murders in this country are committed by Blacks. Guess what? I'm not one of those Blacks committing murder. I obey the law, and so do the majority of Black people that I know. How is it fair to judge me based on a statistic that doesn't represent me, a statistic that I have nothing to do with? What do I get out of it?

Old 03-31-2013, 02:28 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,141,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Answer this question: How does "Law of Probability" suppose to help those persons for whom the statistics don't represent?

For instance, I am quite aware that 50% of the murders in this country are committed by Blacks. Guess what? I'm not one of those Blacks committing murder. I obey the law, and so do the majority of Black people that I know. How is it fair to judge me based on a statistic that doesn't represent me, a statistic that I have nothing to do with? What do I get out of it?
It goes beyond simple elementary crime statistics. I don’t indentify or seek to understand destructive and yet popular black culture. Bill Cosby has spoke volumes on this, but not much attention is paid to what he is saying vs. the baiters i.e. Sharpton and Jackson.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
All over the world the people with the darker skin are discriminated against by the people in power who have lighter skin. This is especially true with African Americans.

Many people say the main reason black people in America are discriminated against is they have black or dark skin. Do you think this is the true reason for the discrimination and hate or is it something else.

If the real reason is something other than their physical skin color then what is it?
A lot of people coming from Mexico or India have skin that's just as dark and everyone is impressed by them. Even those from south of the border who head immediately to the welfare office and have illegitimacy rates every bit as high as blacks are excused and can claim they have babies out of wedlock because of their deep religious devotion.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Law of Probability.
It really doesn't work. If you are not a violent thug or trying to get money for your drug habit, your own law of probability might be 0% and it doesn't matter if someone else's is 100%.

Just like whites are not more inclined to eat people because Jeffrey Dahmer did.

Same goes for IQ statistics, it really doesn't matter if your IQ is 130 or if it's 60 what some average is for your group. Your IQ is still just as high, or just as low.

Some probabilities have to do with where you live and what you see as your options. Some kid growing up in certain neighborhoods, never watching a parent get up and go to work every day doesn't get the same exposure to that option as a kid who grows up seeing at least one parent get up every day and go to work. Work ethics are learned, they're not genetic.

If the parent(s) don't teach it, and the kid has no close up examples, then it's not as much an option. For many kids, the only options are prison, death, or a job (including military) and no one is doing much about getting them to see that last option. Without a job, their futures are very bleak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies