Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 01:26 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I have always been neutral on the subject of gay marriage, but the gay marriage activists are ruining it for me. I hate how in your face they are and how they automatically assume that anybody against gay marriage is a homophobic bigot. It almost makes me not want them to win with gay marriage issues because of how obnoxious they can be. I also hate how sensitive they can be. Like if somebody says "That's so gay" they get all offended.

Anybody else feel this way?
I feel this way. I never really cared until they started pushing so hard for it and making a scene. Now I've been forced to make a decision and it's not in their favor.

As to the "that's so gay" comments, I think that's also being overblown. That phrase has been around for a really long time, like since the 90s, and I know at least when I was younger and saying it, I didn't mean it to have anything to do with gay people. People will always take something and twist it to suit their own agenda. I should add that nobody that I know who is gay cares about that phrase and some even say it themselves.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:02 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I feel this way. I never really cared until they started pushing so hard for it and making a scene. Now I've been forced to make a decision and it's not in their favor.

As to the "that's so gay" comments, I think that's also being overblown. That phrase has been around for a really long time, like since the 90s, and I know at least when I was younger and saying it, I didn't mean it to have anything to do with gay people. People will always take something and twist it to suit their own agenda. I should add that nobody that I know who is gay cares about that phrase and some even say it themselves.
So you think that we should be nice, quiet, and polite while being denied the rights you enjoy.

How do you think that would have worked out for women, or blacks? Should they have just sit back and waited until the rest decided to treat them be equally?

Old 03-30-2013, 02:40 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Watch Sophia Change Blanche

This is great.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:24 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
I wish the gays would just get a life and start bitching about something else - there are far more WAY more important things in life than SSM that need sorting out.
the problem is.. people who voted against it have MADE it an issue.. the whole reason why it is a big issue is because their civil rights were put to a vote by the people.. so in order to change that, they had to make a stink... if the right thing had been done, and the courts handled it in the first place.. gays would be getting married..life would be going on.. and it wouldn't be "in everyone's face"

consider this.. if something important to you and your family was wrongly taken from you or denied you.. you'd make a big stink to stand up for yourself and your family wouldn't u???

well don't sit here considering the history of this issue and say "I don't know why it's all up in my face all of the sudden" if you're a human being or a parent, or have any sort of family values.. you'd understand why..
it's easy now that public opinion has shifted to sit and say.."I wish they would just be quiet" well 5 years ago public opinion was voting their constitutional rights away at the polls..

Old 03-30-2013, 05:25 PM

142 posts, read 120,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I have always been neutral on the subject of gay marriage, but the gay marriage activists are ruining it for me. I hate how in your face they are and how they automatically assume that anybody against gay marriage is a homophobic bigot. It almost makes me not want them to win with gay marriage issues because of how obnoxious they can be. I also hate how sensitive they can be. Like if somebody says "That's so gay" they get all offended.

Anybody else feel this way?

Old 03-31-2013, 03:09 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
In this country, it doesn't work that way. Rightly or wrongly, it is the squeakiest wheel that gets oiled. ... Unfortunately civil discourse is disappearing in the realm of political debate in this country. We are becoming highly polarized.
I think these things are related. The reality is that plugging your ears, shutting your eyes, and hardening your heart against other people's problems is an effective means of protecting yourself against your humanizing aspect, which may act against your own personal comfort in supporting something bigger than yourself.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:22 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
In my opinion and from personal experience knowing gays/lesbians the radical gay/lesbian lobby, if you can call it that, does NOT speak for all, or even the majority of gay/lesbians although they would like to think they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies