Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 07:01 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times

Advertisements

LOL. Very true description. My oldest daughter's nephew by marriage has Aspergers and just received a scholarship. He wants to be an engineer. Like chielgirl said, they can be great computer whizzes or engineers, among other professions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Pierce must not know anyone with Aspergers or Autism nor does he, apparently, realize that there are gradations.

I've been living around an Aspi for something like 50 years - he can't even jaywalk or make a turn without using a blinker because doing so would be against the law. Dangerous? I think not. Brutally honest? You betcha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 07:02 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No. But if I had a child with either of those issues, I wouldn't let them play electronic war games. I think that if they have problems with connecting with people, then I wouldn't encourage them to play impersonal games where the object is to kill mass quantities of enemies.
Hmm, interesting thought. Here's the thing, generally Aspies are rule followers many times to a fault and their own detriment. That's one reason why you don't see 'em in the news for violent or criminal acts 1/10th as often as NT's (neuro-typical). Generally, no two Aspies are alike. Yes they all are on the spectrum but it comes out or "shows" differently in each one.

It's way too easy to blame video games for all the nations ills, kind of takes the heat off parents where I think much of the blame lies. Raising any child is work but that work is compounded when the child is different.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:59 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
There's PC and then there's just saying things that are insulting and said because someone is mean-spirited. You're not even being hard. You're just saying these things because you are on a forum and no one can see you, so stop being so self-righteous. You would not have the guts to look at someone's child and tell them they are retarded. So, before you type things like this, think about whether you would tell someone to their face what you are saying here.

PC lies about normalcy and equality create killers? What planet do you live on? Stupid comment of the day award goes to you.

Here is what I would tell you in person if you looked at my child and called him/her retarded. Retarded is as retarded does. You and others on this list are clearly retarded.
Total hog wash lady I post a slew of opics here all the time and have since i have been here. I have met people from here face to face, and will meet more the same way. i also have given out my personal info as to where i live and some users here have even been to my place in person.

I am not hiding and i am not any different in person either.

I am dead sick of the PC life style and consider it a failed experiment. Quit lying to your children who are retarded , quit doping them up so you can cope, and you quit doping too so you can escape and pretend life is good.

My family in fact has suffered a double murder because a retard went off his meds and discovered for all his life he had been lied too about everything and that LADY just happened to be EASTER weekend 1999.

Now if you were to ASL ME I would say that was HARD and has hardened me as if i were forged from the fires of Hell.

So tell me do you really have a place in this NOW?

Any time you want my name address phone number just ask, but I expect the same back....

If your child is retarded I would look you square in the eyes and tell you to quit pretending.. Nothing is equal and nothing will be alright.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:53 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
Quote:
No. But if I had a child with either of those issues, I wouldn't let them play electronic war games. I think that if they have problems with connecting with people, then I wouldn't encourage them to play impersonal games where the object is to kill mass quantities of enemies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
It's way too easy to blame video games for all the nations ills, kind of takes the heat off parents where I think much of the blame lies. Raising any child is work but that work is compounded when the child is different.

Having read through a lot of drivel including sick jokes, this violent video comment b y miu resonates.

I taught early elementary aspergers syndrome children, and the one thread that ran through all was an obsession with repetitive videos, often the same one over & over & over so that they could repeat the words verbatum. Interestingly, trains were also a common theme.

I do not mean these as gross generalities. However, an aspergers youth peserverating on violent shooting videos is of concern.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:30 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Having read through a lot of drivel including sick jokes, this violent video comment b y miu resonates.

I taught early elementary aspergers syndrome children, and the one thread that ran through all was an obsession with repetitive videos, often the same one over & over & over so that they could repeat the words verbatum. Interestingly, trains were also a common theme.

I do not mean these as gross generalities. However, an aspergers youth peserverating on violent shooting videos is of concern.
I respect the fact that your experience comes from teaching, mine comes from being Aspie and raising an Aspie son to the ripe old age of 22 (now) in college and doing ok.
He's been into video games for years but has also been constantly reminded it's NOT the real world.
What we've learned as parents and the reasoning behind my comment is after watching many people raise their "NT" kids we realized we had to put in much more time and energy to make sure our son stayed on a certain path. Had we not done so I shudder to think what could have happened. Actually, I've got an idea of what could have happened as I was raised without parental controls. It wasn't pretty to say the least.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:51 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,205,533 times
My neighbors kid is autistic and his granddad told him he was acting like a monkey in fun.. The kid got real serious and said "I HATE MONKEYS" and then proceeded to punch his granddad in the nose..true story.....can some expert here explain this.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:54 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
My neighbors kid is autistic and his granddad told him he was acting like a monkey in fun.. The kid got real serious and said "I HATE MONKEYS" and then proceeded to punch his granddad in the nose..true story.....can some expert here explain this.
Sometimes we take things serious , or as offensive rather then as a joke.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:34 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,974 times
Quote:
You are right on. My son is a aspy kid and we restrict how much visual stimulated shows and games he watches or plays. He can watch history channel all day but a hour of some shoot em up game and the nicest child turns mean.

Asperger kids are not retarded. They are very very smart kids who have social cues problems.

Imagine not realizing you smell or smelling coffee and thinking it is the woerst smell in the world. Or not realizing someone is joking about something silly. Sometimes he gets it, most of the time i have to tell him i am joking or he thinks i am serious.

But violent he is not. The only time he ever was when he was on meds. We quickly took him off them and he has a strict viamin regimin now. Drugs are part of the problem.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:42 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Euphemisms like "mentally challenged" are no better than the original term "retarded", which simply means slow. And those euphemisms keep changing - when I was working with those kids we had to call them "low functioning". Everyone knows what retarded means, so that's why I use the word.
Which is why aspergers and retarded do not go together. Asperger kids are far from slow. My son and all the kids at his asperger school are much much smarter than anyone i know. Some of his thoughts are so far past my normal line of thinking that i cant multitask when listening to him. You need to put total thought into what he says and think about it to understand what he means.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:53 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
People with asparagus are dangerous. I look at them with suspicion and cross to the other side of the street if I see someone holding them.
Lest they throw their urine at you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies