Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 08:48 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,983,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I hope you are joking. You do realize that Cesar Chavez (CESAR CHAVEZ FOUNDATION) is not the same as Hugo Chavez.
Did screw that one up.........This is who President Obama will be celebrating, because in he's words Americans do this every year............on March 31st guess this year it fell on Easter.
Presidential Proclamation -- Cesar Chavez Day | The White House
NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim March 31, 2013, as Cesar Chavez Day. I call upon all Americans to observe this day with appropriate service, community, and education programs to honor Cesar Chavez's enduring legacy.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this
twenty-ninth day of March, in the year of our Lord two thousand thirteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-seventh.

BARACK OBAMA

Old 03-31-2013, 09:06 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,270,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
I'll bet the OP really hates this one because it's not religious enough.

City-Data's home page, upper right corner, how appalling!
https://pics3.city-data.com/images/citydata.easter.png
Yep. All of those poor christians on this site need to boycott CD.

Bunnies and eggs. It must be an all out war on Christianity!

Old 03-31-2013, 09:07 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,476,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
Cesar Chavez is a far more important figure than a mythological one.
Josephus referenced Jesus three times.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:10 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,476,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Hey, they've got the same last name.
They all look alike.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:38 AM

991 posts, read 1,114,657 times
Google caters to people of all religions, and it is a business. People get all upset when businesses make smart business decisions, such as using "Happy Holidays" instead of more overt Christian messages. What people do not realize is that these businesses want to maximize profit, and therefor do not want to alienate large segments of their customer base who are not religious. It's simple marketing; when people get upset about it, it seems that they are bemoaning the fact that we are becoming a more religiously diverse society rather than the business decision itself.

I do not identify as a Christian, and while I do not hold business accountable for overtly religious messages, I appreciate and patronize the businesses that are open on Easter Sunday.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:40 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,750,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
The liberal attack on Christianity continues. Hopefully later this morning as millions upon millions of Americans head to church for Easter, Google will do the right thing and celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ on their doodle.

Happy Easter: Google Celebrates Cesar Chavez's Birth

March 31 marks the birthday of National Farm Workers Association (later United Farm Workers) co-founder Cesar Chavez. Chavez, who was trained by Saul Alinsky in the tactics of community organizing, has become a cult figure in California due to his organization of agricultural workers. March 31 also happens to be another important date this year: Easter. So, naturally, Google’s current logo features a graphic of Chavez’s face, rather than anything having to do with Easter.

So a company expressing their freedom to conduct business as they see fit is now considered an "attack on Christianity"??? It seems that what you really want is for everyone to be forced to acknowledge a figure that is important to YOUR religion. I thought you righties were all about freedom. I guess you are until it goes against your established beliefs. Incredible.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:52 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,905,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Yes Jesus did exist but he didn't look anything like the euro-centric version that the Republicans worship - infact he probably looked more like the hispanic and arab immigrants who the Tea Partiers hate on.
My very devout Catholic grandmother had a painting of Jesus on the wall over her bed that depicted him as a blue eyed blond. She had the excuse of having only a second grade education, but I bet there are a lot of American Christians today who picture him more as an Aryan than an Arab.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:56 AM

1,466 posts, read 1,232,928 times
Wait, so you guys don't want to force businesses to go against their religion by paying for birth control, but you want to force a business to celebrate Christianity?

Google is an independent business. They can do what they want. You don't like it, use Yahoo or Bing. The free market, ladies and gentlemen.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:58 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,180,293 times
Haha, I KNEW when I saw today's doodle that more than one person on this forum would be up in arms about it. So predictable! I for one could care less.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:00 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,475,682 times
Supply-side Jesus must be rolling over in his grave. I can hear him now. Instead of recognizing civil rights and a strong labor movement, the best way to celebrate Easter is tax cuts for the rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies