Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 03:53 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Won't work. There needs to be legally enforceable documentation (sanctioned by the state) to arrange for property and custodial rights.
It won't work because you do not want to. In other situations in life there is no need to go to court in order for a party to feel wronge and/or shortchanged and take the other party to court.

Also, if the wronged party can prove he/she has been in an couple arrangement the court can decide if she/he is entitled to something.
Actually, today it is working when couples simply live together and one still goes to court to demand something.
Let me go further, how many couples have had pre-nupcial agreements and later one of the parties does not want to accept what was written? So whether you have a marriage certificate or not or a prenupcial agreement, the courts still decide in many cases today.

However, there is no need to have a divorce decree to have laws regarding couples disagreements. As I said, there is no need to have documentation in many situations in order to demand and expect compensation or distribution of good between two parties. Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 03:56 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Wrong. You don't have to do anything.

Right. I don't have to do anything, but full marriage equality cannot be conferred to gays alone out of the entire continuum of alternative lifestyles because that's what you want.

What does fidelity have to do with marriage in today's society? Nothing. You don't need it as a grounds for divorce anymore.

The participants in marriage set the terms of their own marriage. That's not the business of the state, or of you.

The majority of marriages are performed under a presumed intent of fidelity and permanence. When and if marriage participants "set the terms" they are participating in a "Commitment Ceremony", not a Marriage. There is a difference.

"Numbers" are not the test by which we decide whether some group has rights! There are more gays than Jews and Muslims combined in this country, yet I don't see us infringing upon the rights of them!

I don't know... some Muslims AND Jews have real problems with America's policies towards them... kind of like 'some' gays have problems with America's policies towards them. I think it could be said with a straight ... face, that a present day African American encounters more infringement of their rights than a modern gay man or woman.

Oh? Where did you get these numbers from? I assure you that it is much higher than 10% that "care" about marriage! Everyone wants the option, even if they may not want it now.

It's not 10 percent. It's one tenth of 10 percent (of 3.5 percent). Seriously. Take the population of Massachusetts (legal gay marriage). Take 3.5% and then find the number of married couples identified as gay.

The human race is in no danger of going away. Society does not change where gay marriage is instituted -- ESPECIALLY if, as you say, 10% of 3.5% of the world would ever even get married.

The human race is very much in danger of going away. I'm shocked that this is shocking news to you.

And homosexuality is not just now coming into existence! What is happening is that people are living genuine lives.

No, what is happening is that people are being more tolerant. It could be considered "permissive". That's not a good thing. Smoking is "bad" but the danger is not as apparent as ... taking a bath with a plugged in toaster in the tub with you. Not the best of examples I'll be the first to admit, but my hands are very cold. I won't be much longer at this...

There is one life that everyone is afforded, and probably no afterlife. So, how about the busy bodies mind their own lives, and let people live there own personal lives? WHY is this so difficult?

Definitely no afterlife. You ask good questions, and you deserve better answers than I will be able to supply... for a start though... look around... you're not the only one's who have it rough... if your cause is truly just, then I have no doubt that one day it will be championed. I for one, however, do not see the justice in the fractional extension of 'validation' to a fringe group of alternative lifestyle devotee's. Maybe that's why change is so slow in coming... or it may just be that this is the amount of time needed... "you've got to pay your dues if you want to sing the blues"... ok I'm out of here...

Old 04-03-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You do realize a lot of laws would have to be changed to effect this plan? The big issue seems to be that when a spouse in a gay marriage dies, the surviving spouse has to pay inheritance tax on the person's estate. Nor can a gay partner collect on their spouse's social security. Just a couple of examples, but I think those are some of the biggies. Then there's the issue of child support, if there are children involved.
I was waiting for someone to bring up the issue of child support. No need to have a marriage certificate for that either. Simply proof that the individual is the parent and there can be laws demanding child support without having a previous marriage certificate.

Also, so laws have to be changed? So what, if that is what is needed, so be it. In the long run the situations can still be handled without marriage certificates. What I suggest applies to ANY couple arrangement regardless of gender. That is why it gets so complicated because we have so many laws dictating all these things. Take care.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:02 PM

208 posts, read 547,137 times
For me, the most logical thing to do is to eliminate matrimony. It's an anachronism, those privileges comes from the idea of a couple rising new individuals for the society, as a compensation for the service, with the same sex marriage, that idea has no sense.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempranillo View Post
For me, the most logical thing to do is to eliminate matrimony. It's an anachronism, those privileges comes from the idea of a couple rising new individuals for the society, as a compensation for the service, with the same sex marriage, that idea has no sense.
To me this would be imposing on others just as others try to impose on gays and others trying to impose on religious people. Marriage is a personal decision however, that is what churches are for. For that matter a couple can simply go to a swimming pool, park, etc. and commit themselves and pledge love for each other and say they are married if that is what they want to. Take care.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:23 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempranillo View Post
We do have children. In fact my partner and I have 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies