Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 02:41 PM

981 posts, read 1,620,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
People have been making this claim since the beginning of time.

They have always been proven wrong.
How so? Places like Easter Island are prime examples of people acting like resources were infinite in a finite world. Where are these infinite resources conjured from in your world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 02:42 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
Because you are entirely divorced from reality. Men are not equal. The stations that men inherit in life are not equal. At times, it is impossible to rise above what you are because the circumstances of your existence make it impossible. All this 'Pull yourself up by your boot strings' is nonsense.

You worship at the altar of a concept that is as old as time. Kings and Peasants. The difference between you and I is you think a select few should choose that which each should be afforded. You aren't presenting anything new, the ages of history are filled with the likes of your thinking. Those who proclaim themselves better as needing to "rule" over the leasers to insure they are cared for. History also shows us your thinking provides cruel masters to which those who are dependent, who are forced to your benevolence are required to accept your resolutions, no matter how detrimental they are to the individual for the sake of serving some addled ideal of self servitude.

There is a reason such rulers were killed violent in our history. They take liberties as to how they believe the individual should live, breathe, and eat.

May you and those like you who serve such flawed thinking meet the same end.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Nomander I understood both of you're answers and they makes sense.

Then you understand we are surrounded by peasants with a great desire to be ruled. They will get what they desire and suffer the consequences of such long after you and I die by defending against it. Times are not getting better, we are devolving into political systems that we rose above only to fall again as its people chase ignorantly after their devotions to lethargy.

As harsh as it sounds, may they all suffer greatly for their mistake. They deserve the bonds they place upon themselves.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:50 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
I always hear people complaining about the US citizens with "their hands out."
Then quit listening to right wing propaganda. The overwhelmingly majority of able-bodied citizens do not receive handouts. Our "handout" primarily target seniors, children, and disabled. Of course, some people game the system, but abuse is not rampant.

Quote:
"This is America and everyone has equal opportunity" "Government funded programs are just charity, if you want something go work for it yourself" "remember the good ol' days?"
Yes, the good ol' days when we valued government funded programs, like education and public infrastructure - programs that make this country stronger.

Now, we think that these type of programs are handouts. We need to slash public and public infrastructure.

No more handouts. If children were not given so many free lunches, then they would automatically be motivated to read Euclid's Elements. Instead, we have to hold their hand.

Quote:
how can anyone in their right mind assume that all things are equal?
Whoever did made a grave mistake. We don't live in a world of perfect economic inequality. We never have and never will. This is perfectly acceptable to some degree, especially if there is economic mobility. However, the data is in, and the US ranks poor on economic mobility at the extremes. While there is decent economic mobility among the middle quintiles, it starts to look like a caste system at the extremes. Those born into poverty, remain poor. Those born into richness, remain rich.

The Horatio Algers stories are just that....stories.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:57 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Then you understand we are surrounded by peasants with a great desire to be ruled. They will get what they desire and suffer the consequences of such long after you and I die by defending against it. Times are not getting better, we are devolving into political systems that we rose above only to fall again as its people chase ignorantly after their devotions to lethargy.

As harsh as it sounds, may they all suffer greatly for their mistake. They deserve the bonds they place upon themselves.
Nomander, I am not sure if they knowingly do this but yes, what you say is true. The leftists ideology in a belief, not reality, specifically, a belief that they WANT to believe in.

Trying to convince a leftist that lower taxes and a small government is best for society is impossible because for whatever reason they trust the government and think the government has their best interest at heart even though through the times it has been shown over and over that a government with too much power leads to abuse and extreme poverty of it's people.

Let reality do your arguing for you because they can not hear you and they will not believe you. Understand that they "must" hold on to their beliefs, they have nothing left but those beliefs. Therefore you're just wasting your time.

It's not going to be you or me to convince them otherwise. It's not going to be all of his charts and graphs. It's not even going to be people who have lived and suffered under abusive governments.

No, what will inevitably prove you right will be the leftists getting what they want and realizing they've pissed their lives away.

Last edited by eRayP; 04-05-2013 at 03:41 PM..

Old 04-05-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Nomander, I am not sure if they knowingly do this but yes, what you say is true. The leftists ideology is not based in reality. It is based in a belief. Specifically, a belief that they WANT to believe in.

Trying to convince a leftist that lower taxes and a small government is best for society is impossible because for whatever reason they trust the government and think the government has their best interest at heart even though through the times it has been shown over and over that a government with too much power leads to abuse of it's people.

Let reality do your arguing for you because they can not hear you and they will not believe you. It is more important to them to hold on to their beliefs, they have nothing left but those beliefs. Therefore you're just wasting your breath.

It's not going to be you or me to convince them otherwise. It's not going to be all of his charts and graphs. It's not even going to be people who have lived and suffered under abusive governments.

No, what will inevitably prove you right will be the leftists getting what they want and realizing they've pissed their lives away.
I know, and the humanity part in me cries out which is why I respond at times to these.

The fact is as you say. They have to learn on their own, but honestly... with all the evidence of past history out there and all of the accomplishments in technology to show the the truth to the issue and they continue on as like?

It is depressing and it is infuriating. While the immediate anger in me wishes them to suffer cruelly at the hands of their stupidity, part of me greatly desires them to recognize the path they are taking.

/sigh

Unfortunately, they will have to learn the hard way and sadly, we will be dragged to suffer the same fate as them. Granted we will object and fight against such, but these fools will cheer on their own oppressors.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:12 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
How so? Places like Easter Island are prime examples of people acting like resources were infinite in a finite world. Where are these infinite resources conjured from in your world?
The island is about 24.6 km (15.3 mi) long by 12.3 km (7.6 mi) at its widest point.

I'm talking about resources throughout the world. Not one area. And a good chunk of the poulation died because of disease, not resource depletion.

What resources were on Easter Island that are no longer available? None. E.I. is not an example of finite resources.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I know, and the humanity part in me cries out which is why I respond at times to these.

The fact is as you say. They have to learn on their own, but honestly... with all the evidence of past history out there and all of the accomplishments in technology to show the the truth to the issue and they continue on as like?

It is depressing and it is infuriating. While the immediate anger in me wishes them to suffer cruelly at the hands of their stupidity, part of me greatly desires them to recognize the path they are taking.

/sigh

Unfortunately, they will have to learn the hard way and sadly, we will be dragged to suffer the same fate as them. Granted we will object and fight against such, but these fools will cheer on their own oppressors.
Yes, unfortunately, there are times feel that way too. Yes, it is a dark place especially when you realize that no matter how much you try to succeed in you're life, especially if you are younger and just starting out, don't dream of and work toward becoming rich, if you succeed, you're own government is doing everything to keep you down. It is sad knowing that if you succeed, you're own government wants to pull you back down again.

Last edited by eRayP; 04-05-2013 at 04:00 PM..

Old 04-05-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:

/sigh

If you have acquaintances that are liberal when they start lecturing you, as much as is possible say nothing. If smiling and nodding is NOT possible ignore them, tune them out, they want to argue, you have better things to do than to debate someone who is already convinced no matter what proof you have otherwise. When ever possible, get away from them, graciously, but get away. Always remember that the minute you do not agree with them they do not like you, you become the enemy.

I had to laugh recently when I was with a group of friends. We were enjoying each others company but out of nowhere a liberal (total stranger) managed to interject, the next thing you know she was trying to shove her liberalism up everyone's ***. Even as we all stood there in amazement (where did she come from? and why are we talking politics anyway?) There are some liberals who are just plain angry, abrasive, abusive ... we graciously all left.

Don't **** you're life away arguing with them. However I am guilty of reading on this forum and getting some good laughs. The thought process of a liberals is entertaining. It is also entertaining how they defend Obama no matter what he does.

Last edited by eRayP; 04-05-2013 at 03:45 PM..

Old 04-05-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I had to laugh recently when I was with a group of friends. We were enjoying each others company but out of nowhere a liberal (total stranger) managed to interject, the next thing you know she was trying to shove her liberalism up everyone's ***. Even as we all stood there in amazement (where did she come from? and why are we talking politics anyway?) There are some liberals who are just plain angry, abrasive, abusive ... we graciously all left.

My wife and I were at a restaurant. We talk politics among ourselves at times. This woman was listening in on us and then rudly began to interject herself into the conversation. It was surreal. My wife and I were not speaking loudly, we are keeping to ourselves, but this woman decided to interject and tell us how "wrong" we were in our thinking.

These people are freaks and it completely offended me. Not only on basic principals of social civlity, but to then go on and tell people that what they were discussing privately was wrong? Well... I had to restrain myself. I am sure, she would have liked nothing more than for me to go off an attack her verbally and physically, but my wife and I simply gave her a look of "Are you that pathetic?" and walked away.

These people are a cancer. They are mentally deficient and starving for social conflict. Unfortunately, they will get what they desire, but it won't be from "free people", but that of a muzzle of the monsters they create in government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies