Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 01:32 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Wow! What a bunch of vacuous antigovernment worker posts. Do you folks have a clue what you are talking about before you post?

Sequester has not kicked in yet, so stop pulling the 'Mission Accomplished" schtick. How could it not have some impact?

Do you honestly think cutting these positions will help the economy? Lay off the ideology and engage brain people.

I like to listen to my conservative buddies when they have a good idea or argument,but the "gubbermint bad, millionaire good, gubbermint workers are clueless layabouts" routine is completely braindead. None of those claims are true.

Try again.
Let me ask you... Where was all your concern back in the 80's when thousands of "educated" oil field "employees" were laid off due to the bust? Where was your concern when Airline companies shut their doors and laid people off? I could go on. Why are these people... and I remind you, they ARE just people like anyone else, be more significant than the rest of the population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 01:52 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Wow! What a bunch of vacuous antigovernment worker posts. Do you folks have a clue what you are talking about before you post?

Sequester has not kicked in yet, so stop pulling the 'Mission Accomplished" schtick. How could it not have some impact?

Do you honestly think cutting these positions will help the economy? Lay off the ideology and engage brain people.

I like to listen to my conservative buddies when they have a good idea or argument,but the "gubbermint bad, millionaire good, gubbermint workers are clueless layabouts" routine is completely braindead. None of those claims are true.

Try again.
When it went through the argument was that it would all start the first of April. Massive delays in air travel. Houses burning down because of a lack of fire protection. Law enforcement being forced to release prisoners. Just a devastating circumstance for everyone.

Or not, so it seems.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:47 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Sequester has not kicked in yet...

Sorry to tell you it kicked in at the beginning of the month. Two of my gov't contracts were put on hold due to lack of funds and thus all the sub-contracts related to them were put on hold or in better words the people hired for these sub-contracts were fired before starting their first day. Good thing I deal with contracts like a stock portfolio; a little of everything and not too much of any single category.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:06 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Sorry to tell you it kicked in at the beginning of the month. Two of my gov't contracts were put on hold due to lack of funds and thus all the sub-contracts related to them were put on hold or in better words the people hired for these sub-contracts were fired before starting their first day. Good thing I deal with contracts like a stock portfolio; a little of everything and not too much of any single category.
Well, sure, it started last week. But the economic costs will not be felt overnight. The hiring freezes, furloughs, and cuts in federal grants, etc. will have a slow, but sure effect on unemployment numbers.

The point is, why scapegoat these people for our inability to balance our budget? It seems very mean-spirited and wrong-headed. The public sector cuts are the main thing keeping us from closing in on full employment, which would put legs under our whole economy. Hosing the government workers is only going to keep us in limbo, and cause those people a lot of pain.

Of course, if the sequester impacts actually comes to pass, the same right wingers will try to blame it on Obama's "job killing" policies. A nasty and completely disingenuous agenda at all levels.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Well, sure, it started last week. But the economic costs will not be felt overnight. The hiring freezes, furloughs, and cuts in federal grants, etc. will have a slow, but sure effect on unemployment numbers.

The point is, why scapegoat these people for our inability to balance our budget? It seems very mean-spirited and wrong-headed. The public sector cuts are the main thing keeping us from closing in on full employment, which would put legs under our whole economy. Hosing the government workers is only going to keep us in limbo, and cause those people a lot of pain.

Of course, if the sequester impacts actually comes to pass, the same right wingers will try to blame it on Obama's "job killing" policies. A nasty and completely disingenuous agenda at all levels.
The administration is throwing these people under the bus. They get to say what gets cut and what doesn't.
We keep empty Fed buildings clean to the tune of $25 billion per year yet that was not on the table to cut was it ?

Old 04-07-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The administration is throwing these people under the bus. They get to say what gets cut and what doesn't.
We keep empty Fed buildings clean to the tune of $25 billion per year yet that was not on the table to cut was it ?
Well, in any agency, the primary costs are short and long-term salaries and benefits, so you can muddy the water as much as you want, but heads are going to roll. Moreover, they are usually middle class jobs, so they will have the maximum multiplier effect in the economy. In this case, negative.

Despite claims to the contrary, government jobs strengthen and stabilize local economies. Look at northern Virginia, and county seats or college town across the country. They have lower UE rates and more economic stability, for their size, than other places.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:17 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
The sequester for most agencies has turned out to be a 1 day furlough every 2 weeks, so it amounts to around a 10% cut in salary for 9 months.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The sequester for most agencies has turned out to be a 1 day furlough every 2 weeks, so it amounts to around a 10% cut in salary for 9 months.
Well, I think it is also associated with travel restrictions, hiring freezes, etc. I cannot say for sure what the effects of all this will be, but it will not be trivial.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:23 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Well, I think it is also associated with travel restrictions, hiring freezes, etc. I cannot say for sure what the effects of all this will be, but it will not be trivial.
Let it go already. It was an argument that blew up in the administrations face and one that isn't going to catch on again.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Let it go already. It was an argument that blew up in the administrations face and one that isn't going to catch on again.
This is not fear mongering. It is just common sense. Will the earth stop spinning? No. Will it affect economic growth and unemployment? Almost certainly. It won't happen overnight, so this deal is not done.

I recall having the same attitude as you when I heard all the fear mongering after the housing crash in 2007. UE was still under 5%, and I wondered why all these businesses would be laying people off. I figured a bunch of fools just lost their shirts. Turned out I was wrong. Smart people are saying the same things now, and yet you are blowing it off.

I have a feeling time will tell on this one. And I have a feeling arithmetic will trump ideology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies