Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 09:12 PM

23 posts, read 20,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Got it now. Although it has been said and demonstrated many times before. That is, the "tolerant" bunch are only tolerant so long as it squares with their own notions of tolerance. To disagree is to be -- by default -- "intolerant" and intolerance is not to be tolerated! LOL
I'm not a liberal. Bully for you. Not all of us care for miscegenation with whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 01:48 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxico View Post
I'm not a liberal. Bully for you. Not all of us care for miscegenation with whites.
What in the hell are you even talking about? But oh well, if this is your reply, then it simply confirms I only made a mistake of replying back at all. Oh wow....

Anyway, talk to yourself for a while. I am going to be out of town for a week or so, so no time to keep up with an idiotic exchange as you keep presenting. Come back when you can actually make sense...

Old 05-02-2013, 02:09 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,791 times
Anyone how thinks the civil war wasn't about slavery needs to stop kidding themselves. The south was mad becuase they couldn't use the slave population for representation like they wanted to. Also because the north was trying to stop any news state from being allowed to have slavery.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:32 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
See above post. The silly assed comparision of Nazi Germany to the Confederacy is too ridiculous to dignify with an answer.

Yeah, it is always all about "racism" isn't it? The North was a bastion of freedom, milk and honey. *shakes head sadly*

Oh yeah? The Stars and Bars was the First National Flag of the Confederate States of America. The banner being at issue was one of many variations of the Battle Flag. They are not the same. At least learn a bit about what you are talking about.

As also said earlier, the "tolerant" bunch are only "tolerant" so long as one is not "intolerant" by their own definitions. Otherwise, it it not to be tolerated! LOL

Good article, by the way!

Opinion: Black student defends his Confederate flag – In America - CNN.com Blogs
You must be forgiving, they are students of revised history.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:39 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Anyone how thinks the civil war wasn't about slavery needs to stop kidding themselves. The south was mad becuase they couldn't use the slave population for representation like they wanted to. Also because the north was trying to stop any news state from being allowed to have slavery.
Well, it was one issue of many, but the main reason was to preserve the union. I doubt very much if they would have fought a war over slavery alone.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:25 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutnfancy View Post
Liberals will fight for the right of terrorists, or anyone with a view that is controversial. But let a person fly the confederate flag and its all over. Is this not free speech? Don't like it don't get one.
While I will most certainly defend anyone's right to deliberately provoke a reaction by displaying their simpering loyalty to a regime that vainly sacrificed hundreds of thousands of young men for a most ignoble cause, I am not going to pretend that they have a right to do so without being contradicted.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:26 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Well, it was one issue of many, but the main reason was to preserve the union. I doubt very much if they would have fought a war over slavery alone.
It was a two-stage process. The question of slavery triggered the secession. The secession triggered the war.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,919,645 times
The confederate flag is just as offensive to most people as the Nazi swastika and represents the same thing - a celebration of bigotry and hatred. Anyone that would display a confederate flag is a racist POS.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
While I will most certainly defend anyone's right to deliberately provoke a reaction by displaying their simpering loyalty to a regime that vainly sacrificed hundreds of thousands of young men for a most ignoble cause, I am not going to pretend that they have a right to do so without being contradicted.
That would be a nice little curve ball thrown, DLA, except for the fact it ignores that the overwhelming majority of threads like this are started by those who disdain Southern history/heritage, and then get upset when they are confronted with factual information that they can't deal with and/or never heard before.

It is absolutely astounding how many people truly buy into that the "Civil War" was a morality play and that slavery was the singular issue. This is beyond idiotic. No serious historian believes that the Northern states fought a war to righteously free the slaves. If the War had been completely about slavery, then doubtful there would have been one at all. Most northerners couldnt have cared less about the plight of blacks and most Southerners didn't care a lick about defending slavery.

So far as the number of men who died in a needless conflict? I agree with you. It was needless. So why did the Lincoln administration order an invasion of the South? Was it to free the slaves? Or to keep the South's tax money (of which was at least 75% of those paid, and then was mostly used to subzidize northern interests)?

What wrong had the South ever done the North? Northern apologists never seem to answer that one...

Regardless, to get back to the bolded part? This is the curve. Whoever said you or anyone else who takes the position (as I obviously do), that the South had the best constitutional argument on its side, considered ourselves immune to contradiction by another opinion? On the contrary, I can't think of a single disputation otherwise. The fact that honest and reasonable debate can take place is the essence of First ammendment rights of free speech. And really? Don't you find it a bit ironic and backbiting, that those of us who defend the display of Southern history/heritage symbols do NOT object in the least to the display of symbols/statues in northern states to their admired such...but so many actually call for the tyrannical removal of those of the South? So which, in the gist, are really supportive of free speech rights?

What so often transpires is that the "Lincoln cultists" who automatically condemn the South and buy into the morality play of it all, get all upset when they are confronted with counter-points clearing indicating just how involved was the NE in the slave-trade, how "Jim Crow" laws actually originated in the North, and the real reasons why the decision was made to invade the South to begin with.

In a nutshell, as said before? The above type make a big crusading splash....then get "offended" when they get splashed back! Or another more classic is that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!

Last edited by TexasReb; 05-07-2013 at 03:03 PM..

Old 05-07-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
The confederate flag is just as offensive to most people as the Nazi swastika and represents the same thing
LOL You oughta either mature and/or get over your self-centered vision of the world. If you can't do that? Then go pi$$ up a rope.

Where the hell did you come up with this contension?

Americans Divided on Southern States Flying Confederate Flag

Apart from their feelings about flying the Confederate flag, only 28% of Americans say that the Confederate flag is a symbol of racism, while 59% of Americans say the flag is more a symbol of Southern pride. This represents a slight decrease in the "Southern pride" position since 1992, when 69% said that this was what the flag represented, as opposed to racism. This pattern is the same for those who have followed the issue closely as it is for Americans overall. Although Republicans are much more likely than Democrats to say the flag is a symbol of Southern pride (by 74% to 16%), even Democrats express this view by a plurality of 48% to 40%

Quote:
- a celebration of bigotry and hatred. Anyone that would display a confederate flag is a racist POS.
*yawns* Yeah, yeah, yeah. Racist, racist, racist. Good lord, you could at least get original material! LOL

*considering* But in your favor, I realize you might not know any better. That is to say, one who grows up with the modern day definition of tolerance? The same generally have no comprehension of that it actually works both ways!

The Nazi analogy is another stupid one. It has been refuted many times. AND? The fact you boil it down to both being a "celebration of bigotry and hatred"? Well, it really makes my point. You don't make the comparissons beyond a vague and sophomoric reference to bigotry and hatred.

Uhhhh, can you name just ONE symbol in history that could not be construed by some people somewhere as being bigoted and hateful?? And that includes the United States Flag!

But if you can? Then by all means, go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies