Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 03:23 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,826,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Really? Will humanity suddenly forget how to cure the plague, sanitize water, and preserve food? Will we somehow un-invent electricity, the internal combustion engine, computers, and the Internet?
How many people in the world are capable of doing all that stuff from scratch? My guess is very few... I know I couldn't make a internal combustion enginge from only raw materials or build a PC and rig up an internet connection if I was dropped out in the middle of the desert right now, much less build a power plant and electrical system to run them.

Not to mention those few people who ARE capable of putting such systems together are not generally the same type of people who would likely survive an apocalyptic scenario... scientists aren't generally known for their physical toughness, emotional stability in a survival situation and/or people who have actual survival skills as part of their skill sets.

It would not take much to completely undo modern civilization... It is so interdependant and interconnected that a total collapse would literally shoot us back to the preindustrial world virtually overnight. Not only that, most of our combined knowledge is stored in a digital format and it would only take a permanent power outage to make it all disappear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 05:11 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,219,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It would not take much to completely undo modern civilization... It is so interdependant and interconnected that a total collapse would literally shoot us back to the preindustrial world virtually overnight. Not only that, most of our combined knowledge is stored in a digital format and it would only take a permanent power outage to make it all disappear.
I agree.
There's a parallel with the fall of the Western Roman Empire. Reports of roads crumbling, bridges falling down, and general decay show how a civilization can stumble and fall. Even though there was still enough knowledge to build and repair the infrastructure, there was no longer an organized effort to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies