Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:30 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,279,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
So what's your solution? I'd like to hear it. Strictly without government intervention, of course.
Who is suggesting government shouldnt ever get involved? Lots of times local governments will issue TIF bonds in order to create jobs, and yes, it works.. Hows that welfare working?

Old 04-11-2013, 10:31 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,276,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Who is suggesting government shouldnt ever get involved? Lots of times local governments will issue TIF bonds in order to create jobs, and yes, it works.. Hows that welfare working?
I didn't realize that welfare was the only thing government does to improve economies. You certainly made it sound that way.

And I guess you're not one of those "no government help, ever" people. There are lots of them on this board, my mistake.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I didn't realize that welfare was the only thing government does to improve economies. You certainly made it sound that way.

And I guess you're not one of those "no government help, ever" people. There are lots of them on this board, my mistake.
never even began to say that welfare was the only thing government does to improve the economies, in fact I specifically stated the opposite which is welfare does NOT improve the economies..
Quote:
If the people in Appalachia had JOBS, they wouldnt be poor, would they?

tell me how giving them welfare, equates to JOBS
Welfare does NOT create jobs, nor even begin to "improve economies", despite what liberal kooks believe.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:48 AM

7,539 posts, read 11,412,857 times
Another video on this.

Rand Paul Visits Howard University - YouTube

Old 04-11-2013, 10:50 AM

7,539 posts, read 11,412,857 times
Can republicans get more black votes? Currently no. There is just too much of a post 60's history of republican insensitivity around race issues that have turned blacks off to the party(legacy of the southern strategy).

In order to get more black votes republicans need to MODERATE. Find a middle ground on affirmative action and saftey nets,don't try to complicate blacks ability to vote with unecessary things then you'll see more blacks taking a look at the party over time.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:52 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,904,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mask View Post
What ever happened to "My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." ---I think the liberal icon John Kennedy would be ashamed of what his country has turned into.

Hecklers Interrupt Rand Paul
Let's see... Rand looks like a fool and it's the fault of the audience? .... hmmmm. You know, that's like going to the re-screening of an old movie that sucks, and blaming the audience.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:58 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,742,257 times
Quote:
Do not confuse OhioRules with facts. That's unkind.

Anyway, we all know that private charity, especially from churches that make you convert in order to get aid, can solve all the world's problems. Easy peasy.
That's right. Didn't they cure cancer?

Old 04-11-2013, 11:00 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,910,259 times
Quote:
Bull crap. If government didnt guarantee trillions of dollars in bad mortgages, then they wouldnt have made and the economy wouldnt have collapsed..
Government did not guarantee the most toxic sub prime loans. Those loans were originated by unregulated corporations and sold to Wall Street to slice and dice and repackaged as collateralized debt obligations that were given AAA ratings by independent credit rating agencies. Domestic and Global investors could not get enough of them, for a while, there. This included FNMA/FHLMC who used their own ( not tax payer) money to invest in junk bonds. We all know how those investments panned out.

Most FNMA /FHLMC mortgages have not defaulted. Imagine that.

And somewhere in all of this, the folk who found it inconvenient to own something worth less than they promised to repay, got a free pass and walked away. Unlike a rental, so many did not have any skin in the game.

It's the whole dang culture of greed.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:04 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,742,257 times
Quote:
If the people in Appalachia had JOBS, they wouldnt be poor, would they?

tell me how giving them welfare, equates to JOBS
If there were well-paying jobs - you know, jobs that paid enough to live on - they'd be working them. But there aren't enough well-paying jobs, and there aren't enough jobs, period. That is a fact.

Welfare doesn't equate to jobs and I don't think there are any intelligent adults who think they do.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Government did not guarantee the most toxic sub prime loans. Those loans were originated by unregulated corporations and sold to Wall Street to slice and dice and repackaged as collateralized debt obligations that were given AAA ratings by independent credit rating agencies. Domestic and Global investors could not get enough of them, for a while, there. This included FNMA/FHLMC who used their own ( not tax payer) money to invest in junk bonds. We all know how those investments panned out.

Most FNMA /FHLMC mortgages have not defaulted. Imagine that.

And somewhere in all of this, the folk who found it inconvenient to own something worth less than they promised to repay, got a free pass and walked away. Unlike a rental, so many did not have any skin in the game.

It's the whole dang culture of greed.
Those toxic sub prime loans were packaged together with government guaranteed loans so the packages would have AAA ratings since the rating goes with the higher grade, not the lowest.

Toxic loans, were a very small number of mortgages that collapsed. Once again, government guaranteed loans are estimated to be at 97% of ALL mortgages issued, leaving only 3% to be the balance.

Are you suggesting 3% of the mortgages caused a world wide economic collapse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies