Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:49 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,024 times

Advertisements

Actually Redraven, I was in the Army 20+ years (active) and retired. And you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 08:02 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Actually Redraven, I was in the Army 20+ years (active) and retired. And you?
Well, let's see...
Regular Navy, Regular Army (25th inf. Div., 1964-1966), National Guard, Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Fleet Reserve, for a total of 34 years total time.
Now, USN (Ret).
I no longer qualify for the Unorganized Militia. WAY too old!

Old 04-12-2013, 08:11 PM

Knock out the National Guard and reserves. Two years active? Hmmm.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:20 PM

Ah, regular Navy I see. 4 years there? Subtracting all the other, 6 years active? Still, hmmm.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:29 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,653 times
Well, I guess one could also ask why the president's guard detail carry multiple 30 round magazines? Could it beeeeee, that maybe they realize in a defensive situation, andrenalin flowing, they too might need more than 10 or 15 rounds because bad guys:

1). Move around...quickly
2). Everyone that shoots a gun is rarely so accurate that they could hit ALL the bad guys in the first 10 rounds
3). Multiple assailants typically find cover
4). 2 assailants with semi auto pistols blazing will have at least 20 rounds between them at the start of the shoot out
5). Sometimes you may have to defeat a soft or hard barrier
6). Did I mention that bad guys don't typically run around alone, sometimes they do BUT you never really know?
7). The North Hollywood shoot out with the cops made them run to a gun store to find these dreaded machines some people hates and it STILL took over 1,100 rounds to end the battle between them?????? Read items 1-6, repeat.
8). Ever watch most outrageous stunts and see multiple robbers knocking off a convenience store?
9). In the end, you carry 30 round magazines in a rifle because it may actually take that many to stop and defeat multiple assailants as those that might be found in da hood, home invasion, innocent bystander in a neighborhood where OJ has a girlfriend, bad guys shooting at YOU from behind cover, next Bank of America "forced withdrawal".

In short, you probably WON'T need one but, god forbid, you find yourself in a situation that can really, really benefit from having one on hand, at THAT particular moment in time, in your most defining moment, no other tool can quite take its place....can it?

Just ask the US Secret Service?

Be prepared. Works for the boy scouts. Should be good enough for those that want to at least be prepared. And even though you probably won't need to ever use all 30 rounds, it sure is a comfort in case you need to?

P.S. thank you to all those policeman who fought off and defeated those two bank robbers that tried to knock off that North Hollywood Bank of America branch 15 years ago. That is the reason that those cruisers were FINALLY armed with them going forward....juuuuuuust in case they need them.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:38 PM

How long would a normal person last in some fight like that? Do you think you'd ever get in a running gun battle with a gang?

The actual fact of shooting, possibly killing someone weighs heavily (and morally) on many people. I see lots of people say they'd kill but I suspect a fair number would freeze up in the situation.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:09 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,000 times
Quote:
How long would a normal person last in some fight like that? Do you think you'd ever get in a running gun battle with a gang?

The actual fact of shooting, possibly killing someone weighs heavily (and morally) on many people. I see lots of people say they'd kill but I suspect a fair number would freeze up in the situation.
People get attacked every day and some times by multiple assailants. Most times criminals run when confronted by an armed victim, but not all the time. I don't plan my life by the odds.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:55 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,557,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
People get attacked every day and some times by multiple assailants. Most times criminals run when confronted by an armed victim, but not all the time. I don't plan my life by the odds.
That's just too much reasoning. My mind stopped computing after the first sentence.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:56 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,968,610 times
Quote:
Ah, regular Navy I see. 4 years there? Subtracting all the other, 6 years active? Still, hmmm.
No, fool, 3+ years regular Navy (Minority Cruise: Enlist before 18, get discharged on 21st birthday), then 3 years Regular Army, 25th Inf. Div, including Viet Nam.
Apparently, you are also one of the silly people who look down on the Guard and Reserve. If they are so bad, why has my son, a Guardsman, had one tour in Iraq and one in Afghanistan?
Actually, some of the dumbest people I have ever met were Regular Army (mostly officers!).
That three years in the Army was one of the biggest mistakes of my life!
FTA all the way!

Old 04-13-2013, 07:12 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:

How many rounds does it take to ensure a free state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies