Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 02:50 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,812,668 times

Advertisements

Fox News has offered arguments both for and against this legislation.

But not so CNN or MSNBC.

And the politicians aren't reluctant to acknowledge where their support is coming from: Players in the industry whose job is to question government and keep them in line.

---------------------------------------------------

Pro-Gun Control Senator to CNN Anchor: 'We Appreciate Your Support'

Pro-Gun Control Senator to CNN Anchor: 'We Appreciate Your Support'

by John Nolte
11 Apr 2013, 6:26 AM PDT

None of this is should come as a surprise. Tuesday, CNN came out of the closet with an open declaration that "The Most Trusted Name In News" would use two full days of programming as a propaganda push for legislation tightening background checks. Wednesday morning on "Starting Point," anchors John Berman and Christine Roman hosted Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV), one of the two senators responsible for the compromise legislation on background checks.

The segment was disgraceful.

Neither anchor challenged the Senator about a single concern Second Amendment activists have with the legislation. Instead we saw clips of Newtown families (on Piers Morgan, naturally) pleading for gun control and Roman using the old "some say" ploy to claim the legislation wasn't tough enough. The only mention of the NRA was their opposition to the bill.

Berman: Senator Joe Manchin from West Virginia, you've been working around the clock for a compromise deal. I think you have a very busy few weeks ahead of you still.

Manchin: We appreciate your support, too, this is very, very important.

Or maybe Manchin was thanking the CNN network as a whole?

By the way, Berman didn't even flinch after being thanked for taking a side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 03:24 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,447,534 times
Wow - how much are you smoking if you can argue that Fox news is the balanced one

Being a journalist, doesn't mean you have to turn your brain off (a qualification for fox?). Its not CNN job to challange the op. of 90% of Americans

Old 04-11-2013, 03:32 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,858,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Wow - how much are you smoking if you can argue that Fox news is the balanced one

Being a journalist, doesn't mean you have to turn your brain off (a qualification for fox?). Its not CNN job to challange the op. of 90% of Americans
Because CNN will continue to feed softballs to politicians they agree with; is that what being a journalist means?

Old 04-11-2013, 03:35 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,828,263 times
I guess failed democrats get fallback positions on CNN.
Wait no, that's Republicans and fox.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:35 PM

13,634 posts, read 21,454,901 times
Any time a gun control article is posted on yahoo, Bloomberg news (lol) or other media that allows user comments 95% of those comments blast gun control, so that says something.

here is a example....
http://news.yahoo.com/happens-next-g...200421366.html

Old 04-11-2013, 03:36 PM

29,637 posts, read 16,659,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Because CNN will continue to feed softballs to politicians they agree with; is that what being a journalist means?
have you actually watched CNN, the field softballs to everyone one. Liberals deplore CNN anchors all the time for asking easy questions to Republicans.

CNN is probably the only network that can call themselves fair and balanced and it be at least partially true.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:44 PM

1,444 posts, read 1,949,880 times
As much as I'd like to see the Senate's legislation defeated in the House, I'm personally straining to see the passage of this agreement between Toomey and Manchin as a push off the edge of a slippery slope.

And even if this legislation does succeed in the House, here's one possible benefit: There may very well be enough people in this country who will believe, for the time being, that the "gun show loophole" has been effectively closed and that all private transactions will now be monitored scrutinously (LOLOLOLOLOLOL).

But maybe I'm being too apathetic here?

I don't know...when (not if) the AWB is re-packaged and pushed by Senate and House Democrats, I'll be worried. For now, though, I'm not feeling too threatened.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:49 PM

29,637 posts, read 16,659,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Any time a gun control article is posted on yahoo, Bloomberg news (lol) or other media that allows user comments 95% of those comments blast gun control, so that says something.

here is a example....
What happens next with gun control in the Senate?
it says there is a very loud vocal minority.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:56 PM

9,884 posts, read 11,029,476 times
Y'know, since I do not plan to buy any guns, nor do I plan to sell any, the background check is a non-issue for me.
As I understand what it said in the paper this morning, the "private party back ground check" only applies to "for profit" sales, so if I sell a used gun for LESS than I paid for it, there is NO profit, and a background check is not necessary.
IF that is true, and knowing how often the news media is wrong, I'm not about to say it is or isn't, then the private party background check is TRULY a non-issue!
As has been repeatedly said, it appears to be a stupid feel-good law that has no basis in reality!

Old 04-11-2013, 04:09 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,524,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Y'know, since I do not plan to buy any guns, nor do I plan to sell any, the background check is a non-issue for me.
As I understand what it said in the paper this morning, the "private party back ground check" only applies to "for profit" sales, so if I sell a used gun for LESS than I paid for it, there is NO profit, and a background check is not necessary.
IF that is true, and knowing how often the news media is wrong, I'm not about to say it is or isn't, then the private party background check is TRULY a non-issue!
As has been repeatedly said, it appears to be a stupid feel-good law that has no basis in reality!
Can you name a single law enacted by Democrats that was not "a stupid feel-good law that has no basis in reality?" So what makes you think this would be any different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies